By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Switch Close to Passing Sales of N64 (UPDATE: Now Passed!)

SNES to be overtaken this year.
NES next year
And the ~80Mish consoles the following year.
And before it is discontinued, wii and psone.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
CosmicSex said:

While I understand how sales curves work, it is also my belief that Nintendo will end, of it's own free will, the Switch.  I believe the rumors that say that there is a new version on the horizon.  That is why I insinuated that if we really treat it as a Pro then it will change the nature of the conversation.  

I hold that the Switch, in its current incarnation, will top out at 65 to 70 million before that happens.  An informed response would simply to suggest that the new model will in fact be a pro numbers and then I could have reevaluated.   

It sounds like we need to have a more grounded conversation where we try to understand each others projections or predictions. 

The source of said rumor - which talks about two revisions, one being an upgrade and one being a cheaper version - states that the upgraded version will not be like what Sony did with the PS4 Pro. This means no notable increase in processing power, because a bigger jump in processing power than the Pro can be ruled out due to Nintendo not going to phase out Switch after 2.5 years. But the main point is that regardless of what is speculated within reason, the rumored Switch revisions will be counted towards the grand total of Switch consoles sold.

Your speculation is not within reason, because you expect a Switch replacement after only 2.5 years when today's development times of video games can exceed such a timeframe. It makes no sense to move on with hardware faster than games can be made.

Nintendo is on record saying that it wants Switch to last till 2021 or 2022 at the latest.  If they support the Switch beyond that with a Pro model, then we can go higher than 65 million.  But outside of that you need to be asking yourself how much can they sell in the next 2 years.

My prediction makes more sense because I am listening to them and not to my imaginary beliefs.   

I think Nintendo's plan is to release a new system that will be both back compatible and competitive to some of the larger studios like Rockstar so that the next GTA will launch on it with Xbox and Playstation. 

The strategy is meant to keep their base and attract more mainline gamers who like COD and what not.

RolStoppable said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

I think you know that the 3DS caused Nintendo to post their first loss.  Also the annual sales of the Wii plummeted before the Wii U released.  Yes, they didn't have momentum going into the Wii U's launch.

Yes, the 3DS caused a loss, but you've been speaking about brand momentum. Consumers at large are oblivious to the financials of companies, because they don't care about that. As such, only unit sales of consoles and games matter for brand momentum, because the prevelance or lack thereof is what consumers perceive by way of their relatives and friends owning or not owning something.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/nintendo-historical-shipment-data-1983-present.701305/

In the above link you can check the shipment numbers of Nintendo consoles going into the N64 era and the Wii U era, respectively. There were more Nintendo consoles sold leading up to the Wii U launch than there were leading up to the N64 launch.

Thank you for the data.  Let's analyze it.

The total sales of generation 4 and generation 7 and extremely different, so lets put the numbers in relative terms, in terms of market share.  How strong was the SNES's market share transistioning into generation 5 compared to the Wii's market share transitioning into generation 8?  

In all cases sales are listed in millions, and the denominator in Market Share comes from total console sales in each region.

Japan 
Gen 4 = 26.8m = 17.2 (SNES) + 3.6 (Gen) + 6 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 24.9m = 12.7 (Wii) + 10.5 (PS3) + 1.7 (X360)

annual sales 1 Year before successor Market Share Year of Successor Market Share
SNES 1.78 6.64% 0.62 2.31%
Wii 0.86 3.45% 0.26 1.04%

North America
Gen 4 = 42.9m = 23.4 (SNES) + 17 (Gen) + 2.5 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 126.3m = 47.8 (Wii) + 29.4 (PS3) + 49.1 (X360)

annual sales 1 Year before successor Market Share Year of Successor Market Share
SNES 2.86 6.67% 1.9 4.43%
Wii 4.53 3.59% 2.05 1.62%

Other 
Gen 4 = 19.6m = 8.6 (SNES) + 9 (Gen) + 2 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 121.4m = 39.4 (Wii) + 47 (PS3) + 35 (X360)

SNES 1.14 5.82% 0.78 3.98%
Wii 4.45 3.67% 1.68 1.38%

As you can see the SNES was performing much better than the Wii in terms of market share, both in the year before the next gen release and the year of the next gen release.  Nintendo was coming from an extremely strong position going into generation 5.  That translated into strong sales the first year or so for the N64.  Those sales withered away after the first year especially outside of North America. 

In generation 5, Nintendo went from a perfect record of always winning to getting outsold more than 3 to 1 by the PS1.  That is why I lump the N64 in with the Gamecube and Wii U.  It was a total disaster compared to their previous track record.

CosmicSex said:
RolStoppable said:

The source of said rumor - which talks about two revisions, one being an upgrade and one being a cheaper version - states that the upgraded version will not be like what Sony did with the PS4 Pro. This means no notable increase in processing power, because a bigger jump in processing power than the Pro can be ruled out due to Nintendo not going to phase out Switch after 2.5 years. But the main point is that regardless of what is speculated within reason, the rumored Switch revisions will be counted towards the grand total of Switch consoles sold.

Your speculation is not within reason, because you expect a Switch replacement after only 2.5 years when today's development times of video games can exceed such a timeframe. It makes no sense to move on with hardware faster than games can be made.

Nintendo is on record saying that it wants Switch to last till 2021 or 2022 at the latest.  If they support the Switch beyond that with a Pro model, then we can go higher than 65 million.  But outside of that you need to be asking yourself how much can they sell in the next 2 years.

My prediction makes more sense because I am listening to them and not to my imaginary beliefs.   

I think Nintendo's plan is to release a new system that will be both back compatible and competitive to some of the larger studios like Rockstar so that the next GTA will launch on it with Xbox and Playstation. 

The strategy is meant to keep their base and attract more mainline gamers who like COD and what not.

What are you talking about? Nintendo said that they wanted the switch to last for more than 6-7 years

CosmicSex said:

Nintendo is on record saying that it wants Switch to last till 2021 or 2022 at the latest.

Yeah I'm gonna have to go ahead and call you out for making things up as they are on record as saying the exact opposite of that.

https://m.ign.com/articles/2018/02/12/nintendo-looking-to-extend-normal-console-life-cycle-with-switch

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
CosmicSex said:
RolStoppable said:

Nintendo said exactly the opposite, what you're saying is just wishful thinking.

Also those 65M will most likely already be broken during next year. You just want the console to fail, but it fails to fail on you.

And no, your prediction makes even less sense then Pachters predictions.

RolStoppable said:
CosmicSex said:

There's no credible source for your claim. Since your entire argument is based on that false claim, there's no need for me to address anything else you said.

The_Liquid_Laser said:

Thank you for the data.  Let's analyze it.

The total sales of generation 4 and generation 7 and extremely different, so lets put the numbers in relative terms, in terms of market share.  How strong was the SNES's market share transistioning into generation 5 compared to the Wii's market share transitioning into generation 8?  

In all cases sales are listed in millions, and the denominator in Market Share comes from total console sales in each region.

Japan 
Gen 4 = 26.8m = 17.2 (SNES) + 3.6 (Gen) + 6 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 24.9m = 12.7 (Wii) + 10.5 (PS3) + 1.7 (X360)

SNES 1.78 6.64% 0.62 2.31%
Wii 0.86 3.45% 0.26 1.04%

North America
Gen 4 = 42.9m = 23.4 (SNES) + 17 (Gen) + 2.5 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 126.3m = 47.8 (Wii) + 29.4 (PS3) + 49.1 (X360)

SNES 2.86 6.67% 1.9 4.43%
Wii 4.53 3.59% 2.05 1.62%

Other 
Gen 4 = 19.6m = 8.6 (SNES) + 9 (Gen) + 2 (TG16)
Gen 7 = 121.4m = 39.4 (Wii) + 47 (PS3) + 35 (X360)

SNES 1.14 5.82% 0.78 3.98%
Wii 4.45 3.67% 1.68 1.38%

As you can see the SNES was performing much better than the Wii in terms of market share, both in the year before the next gen release and the year of the next gen release.  Nintendo was coming from an extremely strong position going into generation 5.  That translated into strong sales the first year or so for the N64.  Those sales withered away after the first year especially outside of North America. 

In generation 5, Nintendo went from a perfect record of always winning to getting outsold more than 3 to 1 by the PS1.  That is why I lump the N64 in with the Gamecube and Wii U.  It was a total disaster compared to their previous track record.

That argument is the equivalent of attach rates on consoles where the attempt is to convince people that 100k copies sold on an installed base of 1m is better than 500k copies sold on an installed base of 10m.

The ongoing problem in this discussion has been that you insist that the Nintendo 64 is as much of a failure as the Wii U on all accounts, but that's extremely reaching and requires several leaps of logic. You are unable to provide more than a binary analysis where everything can only be either success or failure.

Attach rates and market share are two different things.  When I use market share I am doing the equivalent of adjusting for inflation.  You need a way to compare two quantities that happen in very different points of time.

Now actually look at the results.  In Japan the total sales are similar but the market share still highly favors the SNES over the Wii.  In fact SNES outdoes Wii by about double regardless if the total sales are similar or different. 

There is no leap in logic here.  In this market analysis it is easy to see the SNES was stronger.  In fact, the SNES had a majority of the total market in generation 4, while the Wii did not have a majority.  On top of that the SNES was consistently strong throughout it's life while Wii sales plummeted after a few years.  What you are calling "leaps in logic" would be considered commonly accepted facts in any other discussion.

The SNES was the more popular console in relative terms, especially at the end of its life.  That is why the N64 did well the first year.  That success didn't last though.

Last edited by The_Liquid_Laser - on 10 April 2019

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Illusion said:

The difference is that, at least in North America, the N64 succeeded in achieving massive mainstream appeal.  If you were a kid in 1997 and you had an N64 in your house, every kid on the block wanted to come over.  If you were a kid in 2013 with a Wii U, most of your friends would roll their eyes and go back to their smartphone.  

Games like Goldeneye, Star Fox, Smash Bros, Mario 64, Ocarina of Time created massive popularity and hype and made the N64 a household name for at least the first half of its life.  Even though the Wii U had some great games, Mario Kart 8 was probably its biggest title from a popularity standpoint and it faded from memory after a month or two.  

What really kills the Wii U though is how its legacy got cannibalized by the Switch.  Nobody is going to remember that Splatoon or Mario Maker were Wii U games because most people will have played these games for the first time on the Switch.  Very few people 10 years from now will think back to their childhood and remember the Wii U fondly like people today remember those sleepovers in the 90's playing Goldeneye with their friends.  I would argue that the Wii U isn't even as impactful as the Dreamcast was despite selling more units just because so many of the special experiences that the Wii U had have been completely recreated and enhanced on the Switch.  The Wii U's legacy was destroyed in order to make the Switch a success.

The problem with this post is that it does not describe reality.  Was N64 popular with kids?  Of course.  Every Nintendo console is popular with young kids.  That includes the Wii U.  Kids did not roll their eyes at the Wii U.  (Everyone else did, but young kids did not.)  The issue Nintendo has is getting people other than young kids to like their console.  Also the N64 did not have massive mainstream appeal.  It was, at best, tied with the PS1 in North America.  And that was during it's best years which did not last.  Also people still liked games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros on Wii U.  But this was not enough to get people to buy a Wii U. 

And I am not saying all of this because I think the Wii U was great.  I am saying all of this as a reality check on the N64.  So much of what you describe as great about the N64 also applies to the Wii U.  Maybe this is not really why the N64 sold better than the Wii U?  Nintendo had a huge amount of positive momentum going into the N64 generation.  The name Nintendo was synonymous with gaming in those days.  The Wii U did not have that kind of positive momentum.  Other than that the N64 is not really that different than the Wii U.  Although the Wii U gamepad was even worse than the N64 controller.  One positive the N64 had is that it's controller was less terrible.  Other than that it's main advantage was Nintendo as a brand.  Nintendo's name used to be a lot stronger.

I don't know, when I was around young families in the 2013-2015 range, most of them either still had Wii's or the parents had bought PS4's.  I knew a few families that had the Wii U but I can't really say that the kids were into it the way there were into their tablets, etc and it was usually the parents who bought it because they were fans of Nintendo...  That wasn't the case back in the 90's where the N64 really was the coolest thing out there for a few years.  It had better graphics than the PS1 or Saturn and it really regarded as something that was "cool".  The N64 was my first console and I was not a popular kid, but that year in '97 I had more friends than I could count who just wanted to come over to play Mario 64.

I never saw that from kids and the Wii U.  Nintendo was in really big trouble in the Wii U's era because mainly kids for the first time in decades were growing up with something other than Mario.  They were growing up with Angry Birds and Candy Crush.  The Switch has succeeded in bringing Nintendo consoles back into the homes which is helping to reverse that damage.

Illusion said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

The problem with this post is that it does not describe reality.  Was N64 popular with kids?  Of course.  Every Nintendo console is popular with young kids.  That includes the Wii U.  Kids did not roll their eyes at the Wii U.  (Everyone else did, but young kids did not.)  The issue Nintendo has is getting people other than young kids to like their console.  Also the N64 did not have massive mainstream appeal.  It was, at best, tied with the PS1 in North America.  And that was during it's best years which did not last.  Also people still liked games like Mario Kart 8 and Smash Bros on Wii U.  But this was not enough to get people to buy a Wii U. 

And I am not saying all of this because I think the Wii U was great.  I am saying all of this as a reality check on the N64.  So much of what you describe as great about the N64 also applies to the Wii U.  Maybe this is not really why the N64 sold better than the Wii U?  Nintendo had a huge amount of positive momentum going into the N64 generation.  The name Nintendo was synonymous with gaming in those days.  The Wii U did not have that kind of positive momentum.  Other than that the N64 is not really that different than the Wii U.  Although the Wii U gamepad was even worse than the N64 controller.  One positive the N64 had is that it's controller was less terrible.  Other than that it's main advantage was Nintendo as a brand.  Nintendo's name used to be a lot stronger.

I don't know, when I was around young families in the 2013-2015 range, most of them either still had Wii's or the parents had bought PS4's.  I knew a few families that had the Wii U but I can't really say that the kids were into it the way there were into their tablets, etc and it was usually the parents who bought it because they were fans of Nintendo...  That wasn't the case back in the 90's where the N64 really was the coolest thing out there for a few years.  It had better graphics than the PS1 or Saturn and it really regarded as something that was "cool".  The N64 was my first console and I was not a popular kid, but that year in '97 I had more friends than I could count who just wanted to come over to play Mario 64.

I never saw that from kids and the Wii U.  Nintendo was in really big trouble in the Wii U's era because mainly kids for the first time in decades were growing up with something other than Mario.  They were growing up with Angry Birds and Candy Crush.  The Switch has succeeded in bringing Nintendo consoles back into the homes which is helping to reverse that damage.

Well it is true that the N64 sold better than the Wii U.  Obviously more people were playing the system.  But I never saw a young kid that didn't like the Wii U.  

I wasn't going to buy a Wii U, but my daughter begged and begged for one.  Her friends didn't get one, but they were always happy to come over and play.  Games like Mario Kart and Smash Bros never lost popularity.  It should be obvious from the Switch that these are still popular games.  But these games, by themselves, were not enough for her friends to get a Wii U.  Some of them didn't like the gamepad, but on multiplayer games, you can just use the Wii remote.  Likewise my nephew had a Wii U and played it a lot for a couple of years.  Then his parents got him an XBox360 (and then a PS4 a couple of years after that).  The biggest problem that the Wii U had was lack of games, so my daughter and nephew stopped playing it around 2015-2016, because there was a lack of games.  But then again, I believe the N64 had the problem of a small library as well.

To be honest I think the N64 had better Nintendo 1st/2nd party support for the first 2 1/2 years than the Switch. Maybe the best of any Nintendo console

(September '96-Dec '98)
Super Mario 64
Wave Race 64
Pilotwings 64
Killer Instinct Gold
Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
Mario Kart 64
Blast Corps
Star Fox 64
GoldenEye
Diddy Kong Racing
1080 Snowboarding
Yoshi’s Story
Banjo-Kazooie
F-Zero X
Zelda: Ocarina of Time
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron

Versus

(March 2017-June 2019)
Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Splatoon 2
ARMS
Mario Odyessy
Xenoblade X
Mario + Rabbids
Pokemon Lets Go
Super Mario Party
Pokken Tourney
Mario Tennis Aces
Kirby Star Allies
Bayonetta 1 + 2
Labo
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate

Yoshi

I like the Switch a lot but a lot of its library is also jacked from the Wii U as well whereas the N64 was basically all original content.

N64 is the only system in history IMO that was actually supposed to be a huge success and was largely killed by a system format (carts only instead of compromising on cart + CD) decision. That allowed Sony the opportunity they needed to gain market leadership and by large part they've never really ceded that aside from a few down years with the PS3.

Last edited by Soundwave - on 12 April 2019