By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What should Microsoft do?

@Prodigy_BE
Even if is 3rd it will be by very little, and we are talking both HW and SW and revenue and market share wise. The console war is not just HW. And the 360 has amazing games this year lined up as well, with a price cut in NA in the near future.

Around the Network

Oh and by the way XB was 2nd last gen.

*~Onna76~* said:
Pack their bags and leave the building... that's my 1, my 2, my 3, my 4, basically my top 5

Nah honestly I don't really care as they're simply not my favorite company. Unreliable hardware, buying off companies / games and low amount of interesting games are the 3 main reasons. Thanks to the 360 I'm still waiting for my precious RPG's for on the PS3, which easily could have been released before on the PS3 or at the same time for that matter like with Last Remnant. But no... here we are... a year later, and still waiting for Eternal Sonata... without a clue of "when" it will release *sob*. So I'll be the last to give any advice about what they should do.
This is why MS isnt selling as well. An RPG fan that will only play them on a PS3. More fool you. So really a Sony fan not a games fan. Otherwise you wouldnt miss 4 good RPG's over the last 2 years. 

MS should just graciously accept that they'll be third (or 2nd by a very slim margin) and not kill themselves trying to beat Sony for the sake of beating Sony.

What they should do is:

1) Maintain profitability. GC may have come in 3rd, but was still very profittable for Nintendo, unlike the 2nd place Xbox. If they make a net profit this time, then they have actually accomplished something worthwhile. Moreso than beating Sony but being at a net loss.

2) Continue to broaden their base. 360 will finish somewhere between 30-60m a definate improvement over 22m for Xbox and that'll give them a better start for next gen. The 360 also has a much broader selection of games this time. It's no more the 'shooter' system than PS3 is. MS also needs to continue to reach out to casuals. No, they'll never beat the Wii here, but if they can get some degree of success the next system can build off of it.

3) Buy more studios. While PS3 has an arguably stronger line up of games coming, that's only because developers thought it would be as successful as PS2. If they knew 3 years ago the Wii would be the dominate system, FFXIII and MGS4 would have been planned for that system from the get-go. So the question is how long can Sony maintain a 'we have better (upcoming) games' lead over 360. Not long. Once those long in development games have come and gone, only Wii will be getting 3rd party exclusives. Otherwise, it'll be a stalemate for the HD consoles. Having said that, both Sony and Nintendo 1st party strength is crushing compared to MS who have very little. Getting more inhouse development would definately be an asset to MS for this gen and next.

4) Improve it's image. The RRoD has given MS (already a much maligned company) a huge black-eye in the console market. They need to really up their game and make people forget all about RRoD long before launching Xbox 720 (or whatever it's called).

5) Steal Apple's designers. One thing MS does not do is make sexy equipment, if they want to gain more casual acceptance they need to really make the Xbox720 (or a 360 slim) a visually and audibly desirable fixture in the living room.

first is was 10k a week more than the 360, and people said its just 10k!
Then it was 20k and people where like at 20k it will pass the 360!
then it was 30-40k ... oh that will take ages to pass the 360...
now it is 50k a week...does anyone see a trend? When it is 100k a week are peopel going to start saying that it has a shot to pass the 360?

OT MS (unfortunately) has done a good job in securing a place in the market for themselves. they are not going anywhere any time soon. So we have to deal with their shitty consoles because people like to buy stuff that falls apart on them i guess.

Around the Network

They should get the hell out of hardware.

Become a publisher/developer this is what they should have done form day one.

If they want to compete with their current situation, the only realistic option is a price cut.

They need a huge price cut in America. Price the Premium directly against the Wii, or cheaper, like they did in Europe. And hopefully they'll have much more of an effect than they have in Europe where the Wii is still easily out pacing the 360 at a 2:1 ratio.

There is literally nothing they can do in Europe/Japan right now. The situation just cannot be improved in those regions. If a price drop fails in America, I'd say the same thing about the US.

xenophon13 said:
first is was 10k a week more than the 360, and people said its just 10k!
Then it was 20k and people where like at 20k it will pass the 360!
then it was 30-40k ... oh that will take ages to pass the 360...
now it is 50k a week...does anyone see a trend? When it is 100k a week are peopel going to start saying that it has a shot to pass the 360?

OT MS (unfortunately) has done a good job in securing a place in the market for themselves. they are not going anywhere any time soon. So we have to deal with their shitty consoles because people like to buy stuff that falls apart on them i guess.

Since youre going to get all rude:

OT Sony (fortunately) has done a bad job in securing a place in the market for themselves. They have failed big time with their arrogance to think that the PS brand alone will give them 70% market share again. They are not going anywhere any time soon. So we have to deal with their shitty consoles because people like to buy expensive stuff that after 18 months has a poor game library and has backward online capabilities.

selnor said:
*~Onna76~* said:
Pack their bags and leave the building... that's my 1, my 2, my 3, my 4, basically my top 5

Nah honestly I don't really care as they're simply not my favorite company. Unreliable hardware, buying off companies / games and low amount of interesting games are the 3 main reasons. Thanks to the 360 I'm still waiting for my precious RPG's for on the PS3, which easily could have been released before on the PS3 or at the same time for that matter like with Last Remnant. But no... here we are... a year later, and still waiting for Eternal Sonata... without a clue of "when" it will release *sob*. So I'll be the last to give any advice about what they should do.
This is why MS isnt selling as well. An RPG fan that will only play them on a PS3. More fool you. So really a Sony fan not a games fan. Otherwise you wouldnt miss 4 good RPG's over the last 2 years. 

You got that right, I'm a Sony fan as well a Nintendo fan, just look at my game collection, and then tell me again if I'm NOT a game fan.

And to cough up at least 400USD for only 3 or 4 games with the risc of having RRoD... no thanks. I've considered buying a 360. If the 360 wouldn't have faulty problems, would have a bigger library of games and MS wouldn't have the major badass arrogance to buy everyone off with money, then I would have had a 360 long time ago... I mentioned those reasons but of course you didn't read those.

amp316 said:
Not putting out faulty hardware would be a start.

Damn right... then I would more consider of buying a 360, sooner than that... I won't.

@Prodigy_BE, have you seen the sales of Japan concerning the PS3? Doesn't that at least concern you when it comes to the Japanese PS3 software market?

PLAYSTATION®3 is the future.....NOW.......B_E_L_I_E_V_E

Supporter of PlayStation and Nintendo

EaglesEye379 said:

Since youre going to get all rude:

OT Sony (fortunately) has done a bad job in securing a place in the market for themselves. They have failed big time with their arrogance to think that the PS brand alone will give them 70% market share again. They are not going anywhere any time soon. So we have to deal with their shitty consoles because people like to buy expensive stuff that after 18 months has a poor game library and has backward online capabilities.

Responding to trolling with more trolling is usually not the best idea, since people coming into the thread may just report both of your posts and just let the mods sort it out.

So in essence....both of you quit insulting the competitor.