By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What should Microsoft do?

Riot Of The Blood said:
Pack it in and call it a day, because it's over for the 360. They should worry about building up their brand further and making it profitable. Don't even think about console wars. That is out of their hands.

As long as software sales are healthy on the 360 (which they are), I can't see that it's "over" for the 360.  They have over 18 million consoles sold and will likely have an installed base of 25-35 million by the end of the year.  Hard to image that as "failure" considering they haven't even come out with a re-engineered unit yet.

Around the Network
TheRealMafoo said:
Other then #4 everyone of those would make them lose a lot of money, and being sales are up 40 something percent this year, I think they are doing ok ;)

People need to stop looking at it from a pure competition point of view, or at least stop looking at it as a winner take all kind of thing.

If all industries worked that way, every call company other then Toyota should just close down.

P.S. If they could do #4, they would have a long time ago ;)

I love how now that xbox is losing in sells now its not about competition but a year ago it all was when ps3 was not selling...... funny..

Lower the price and buy Square Enix... thats my top and only 2 for them to get sales....

Ajax said:

beating
beating

what is beating?

30-40k a week is just a small beating

Sony needs to accelerate further
and is doing seriously bad in Japan frankly..

Yea but the xbox is doing (how can i put this) Super Seriously bad  in japan. and is the least selling system this year so far..

Microsoft really do need to get some more casual games out that will appeal to non-hardcore gamers. There are 2 main reasons why i sold my x-box 360,

1= The Games-Controller
2=Most of there games get released on my pc which is more than capable of playing them.
Microsoft need to get more games games games, But i think they will never beat the ps3 because Sony has the most first party developers, and studios, more than nintendo and microsoft combined.

Prodigy_BE said:

And as it seems, they don't have a clue. So lets help 'em out, by giving them a list of actions:

1. A BIG pricedrop, of all three SKU's, plus a pricedrop in perhipals like the HDD and stuff

2. Buying three or four high class developers to get more exclusives (Take 2, Capcom...)

3. Making Xbox Live free, or at least lowering it's price.

4. Fixing ALL noise and RROD on every new machine they sell in the future

5. Release a (silent) externalblu-ray player, and exchanging it for free to people who own the HD-DVD one.

Here's the problem with these:

1.  Sales are UP in their primar market versus last year for most weeks.   You have to seel a LOT more consoles to make up the drop in price, andMS is just starting to make gaming profitable.  I wouldn't expect them to slash prices just to sell more than PS3.  The financial guys at MS aren't dumb - if they felt they would make huge sales ground up they'd have done it by now.  Agreed on peripherals, though I'd argue the same concept applies. 

Peripherals for all consoles are overpriced but are where they make good profits.  Once they have you sold on the console, you just need to buy some of them, and they know it.  True for all brands.

2.  Exclusives are SO expensive and by the time they came to market, it's be 2011, so what's the point?

3.  I really doubt Live being free is changing people's minds.  It's less than a game a year, and the price has never been raised, and the vast majority of the people who pay for it continue to pay for it, which means they see it as a decent value. 

4.  They will never get rid of the noise, because it's reqa functio of making the drive run at the speed it does.  PS3, for example, is quieter because the drive runs so slowly.  I'd personally have my stuff load faster and turn up the volume, without a doubt. 

5.  Why would I give up my HD-DVD drive?  It's awesome and it would make all the movies I bought for it a huge waste of money.  It would cost as more to replace all the movies than it would be to buy a new Blu-Ray player/PS3.  The people that invested in an add-on player knew that it wasn't going to last forever - you need a 360 to use it.  That's why it was cheap compared to others.  I still don't see the reason people are riled up about that whole deal.  Blu-Ray prices have gone up now.  Is that what people wanted?

This isn't a defense of the console at all.  It's just that there are no magic solutions to it.  If there were easy answers, they'd have been made already.  

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Around the Network
Dno said:
TheRealMafoo said:
Other then #4 everyone of those would make them lose a lot of money, and being sales are up 40 something percent this year, I think they are doing ok ;)

People need to stop looking at it from a pure competition point of view, or at least stop looking at it as a winner take all kind of thing.

If all industries worked that way, every call company other then Toyota should just close down.

P.S. If they could do #4, they would have a long time ago ;)

I love how now that xbox is losing in sells now its not about competition but a year ago it all was when ps3 was not selling...... funny..

Lower the price and buy Square Enix... thats my top and only 2 for them to get sales....

You say this like I am some MS fan. Read most of my posts. I am pro Sony. I was never about winning (that's Nintendo's world), I was just making sure my PS3 was going to have games made for it. Now I know it will. So will my 360.

Everyone wins.

Why does everyone think PS3 will not broaden the 50k a week lead. Blu-ray and more exclusive games will boost their sales. Even now, they're the most expensive machine and have fewer games, and still they sell more.

I don't get Microsoft. This is their moment. They've got the lead, now they should just keep it. Why don't they just throw more money at it, and keep Sony's PS3 down?

All that effort, 6 years in a row, just to come in 3rd again.

microsoft is not beaten yet, multiplatform games tend to sell better on the 360, and there has been no huge releases in a while, GTAIV will boost the 360 again.

3DS FC: 4355-9313-6815

Not putting out faulty hardware would be a start.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

They cant drop the price

Look at the price drop in Europe, it went up for 2 weeks then it went back down.