By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

SpokenTruth said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:

There are so many reasons why people remain unemployed: age discrimination, disability/health issues, lack of available jobs, lack of skills/experience, lack of work history, no references to verify they have the skills, experience or work history.
Uneducated, ill informed, ignorant people will deny the problem exists because they do not understand economics nor do they understand how the labor market works.

1,000,000 JOB APPLICANTS COMPETING FOR 100,00 JOBS!
THAT MEANS 900,000 MORE PEOPLE WILL REMAIN UNEMPLOYED AT THE END OF THE MONTH!
AN EXTRA 100,000 LOSE THERE JOBS DURING THE MONTH AND THE FOLLOWING MONTH 1,000,000 COMPETING FOR 100,000 new jobs.

Do you mean to tell me there are no other dry cleaners in Ballarat?  The example they gave said the lady had a dry-cleaning job 11 years prior to the article being published in 2017.  So in 11 years, there were no other dry-cleaning jobs in a town of over 100,000 people?  She had experience.  She had a verifiable job history.

And your numbers are nuts.  That would suggest an unemployment rate of 90%.  It's actually just 4.9% (4.51% specifically for Ballarat). And you're adding about 247,000 new jobs per year.  Even the underemployment rate is just 8.1%.

In her example, she had experience, a work history, lived in a mid sized town during a growing economy....and could not find a job for 11 years?  I smell bovine excrement.

It is obvious that most  people on here have never been unemployed or long term unemployed are employable and have relevant skills and experience. If you ever become unemployed or worse long term unemployed, you may understand our situation a lot better.  It is harder now with more people looking for work and not enough jobs being created by business or government. Most unemployed do not have stacks of cash laying around so they can set up a business and effectively pay themselves to work and take on all the costs and the risks of business failure.

Around the Network

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work/careers/generation-hopeless-millennials-more-likely-to-suffer-longterm-unemployment/news-story/2c4d34fb76a9ddb4ad90827c503145d0

“Being long-term unemployed when a young person is making the key transition to independent adulthood poses a threat to their future economic and personal wellbeing. Yet, this is the reality many of our young people face, especially in disadvantaged suburbs and rural and remote regions,” Mr Nicholson said in a statement.

“More broadly, it worries me that our social security payments for our unemployed people — both the Youth Allowance and Newstart — are now so low that this is hindering unemployed people’s hunt for paid work, for example to be able to afford transport or appropriate clothes to attend job interviews.”

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 11 April 2019

Lets face the harsh reality - it's not the job market, it's your social anxiety.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

It is obvious that most  people on here have never been unemployed or long term unemployed are employable and have relevant skills and experience. If you ever become unemployed or worse long term unemployed, you may understand our situation a lot better.  It is harder now with more people looking for work and not enough jobs being created by business or government. Most unemployed do not have stacks of cash laying around so they can set up a business and effectively pay themselves to work and take on all the costs and the risks of business failure.

...Maybe because we actually made an effort and worked towards what we have? Do you know how difficult it is to work in my field? There is something like 80 applicants per position. It's not just a game of luck you know.

Our unemployment rates are low, there is tons of work available... You should try actually writing a proper resume and cover letter and not spamming employers with emails, go through the appropriate avenues.

At the end of the day, the sad reality is... You being unemployed is your own fault. - The sooner you realize this and work to rectify your issues, the sooner you can enter the workforce.
But as far as this thread itself is concerned, I am out. You need to start paying attention and taking on peoples advice who have succeeded, rather than brushing them aside and saying how unfair everything is... It's frankly a slap in the face to those who work hard to get to where they are.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

finalrpgfantasy said:
I know the feeling. After graduating college, I spent 6 months looking for a job and the lack of work experience was my Achilles' heel (I always did great in the job interview). I was getting depressed and felt that my 8 years of education were worthless. I finally got a job but as an Administrative Assistant (I studied accounting).

After nearly three years working there, I got tired of the working conditions ($7.25 hourly wage, and doing task not corresponding to my position and salary) and I decided to change jobs. That was another year of searching. People that say that searching for jobs is easy haven't lived in Puerto Rico. Employment and Wages are bad in here. I finally got a great job as an Accountant and Internal Auditor but it was thanks to a friend.

Good for you.  I am also a puertorrican that tried to land a job in accounting with no success whatsoever due to lack of experience.  Unfortunately, you need to have that friend in the island to get you in.  It didn't help that I wasn't fluent in English back then so didn't have no other choice but to move to the US.  I got a job at Wal-Mart while I took classes to improve my English skills and eventually managed to get job at a bank as a regular teller.  Right now I am a head teller and finally have a clear path of what I am going to do.  I submitted my letter of interest to assistant manager to get experience in loan processing since loan originator pay at least 40k.  I wouldnt have never done that in the island.

Around the Network
Metallox said:
From my birth until I was 18, 11 if you count the family business.

Really answering your question, though, after working about 4 months in my first job, I quit and did nothing for the next 2 years. Only looked for another job last January, and I found it at a coffee shop, but then I managed to find another one that paid better 2 months later. 2500 Mexican pesos a week once training is over, about 140 dollars, not too bad here and for someone of my age. Lots of benefits, too.

Really glad this opportunity arose, can only expect to get better from here. Speaking English was the key, and I'm glad video games were an important tool to learn it ::p

Damn, how far can $140 go in Mexico? I make more than that every day.

Angelv577 said:
finalrpgfantasy said:
I know the feeling. After graduating college, I spent 6 months looking for a job and the lack of work experience was my Achilles' heel (I always did great in the job interview). I was getting depressed and felt that my 8 years of education were worthless. I finally got a job but as an Administrative Assistant (I studied accounting).

After nearly three years working there, I got tired of the working conditions ($7.25 hourly wage, and doing task not corresponding to my position and salary) and I decided to change jobs. That was another year of searching. People that say that searching for jobs is easy haven't lived in Puerto Rico. Employment and Wages are bad in here. I finally got a great job as an Accountant and Internal Auditor but it was thanks to a friend.

Good for you.  I am also a puertorrican that tried to land a job in accounting with no success whatsoever due to lack of experience.  Unfortunately, you need to have that friend in the island to get you in.  It didn't help that I wasn't fluent in English back then so didn't have no other choice but to move to the US.  I got a job at Wal-Mart while I took classes to improve my English skills and eventually managed to get job at a bank as a regular teller.  Right now I am a head teller and finally have a clear path of what I am going to do.  I submitted my letter of interest to assistant manager to get experience in loan processing since loan originator pay at least 40k.  I wouldnt have never done that in the island.

Sorry things didn't work  for you in PR. 

I'm glad you're doing great.  Mind if I ask in where university did you study?

Long term unemployment for me is a fixed state. I have no need to work because I have no capacity to work. I have no idea what jobs I would be interested in doing if I was fit to work again. I do not attend any job search agencies because having no capacity excludes me from having to look for work.

"I bet no one here have faced long term unemployment".

We had at least 3 that have said they have passed through it, and also we had Pemalite not only being unemployed but lived in the "street" still got up on his feet. Probably because he wasn't trying to just get the government handout.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
"I bet no one here have faced long term unemployment".

We had at least 3 that have said they have passed through it, and also we had Pemalite not only being unemployed but lived in the "street" still got up on his feet. Probably because he wasn't trying to just get the government handout.

Autistic here with shizophrenic depression periods earlier in my life and have been in "similar" isolated situations as him(without the welfare) so i kinda mildly understand how he thinks and feels about his environment and i do not think a site as this is able to trigger him in making a step out of his comfort zone and this might just be a way for him to have some interaction that he longs to and having control over the anxiety that it gives him.

Family or any real person close to him is what would be helpfull and if he does not have that(likely not) he really should consider chatting more personal 1 on 1 with people.

But we should not be judging too much,its is hard to see full reality when living like that.