By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Have you ever faced unemployment or long term unemployment before?

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Sales jobs would be ideal for a person with no experience and can earn decent money without having experience or qualifications. However you need an extroverted, friendly personality to be good at sales. I have an introverted personality and that makes it near impossible to gain employment. I have sat through interviews and did not say a single word and found it very awkward. I hate being introverted and thinking too much, it is the root cause of all my issues in life. There are so many people that are extroverts that are loud, think less and achieved lower grades than I did at school but they live happier and more successful lives than I do. It is my personality that is the issues and being introverted is a terrible curse that I have never accepted in life. Being an introvert means harder to find employment and it is harder to make friends.

How do you change from being introverted to being extroverted? Is personality you are stuck with or can it be changed?

You can train yourself new traits.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

https://indaily.com.au/opinion/2018/07/16/graduates-clear-tables-and-ask-was-my-degree-worth-it/

"22 university graduates were competing for every new graduate position nationally. The competition for graduate jobs was worst in South Australia with 46 recent university graduates fighting for each job....

I saw graduates and post-graduates in other schools and universities end up on Newstart after being charged HECS or full fees. Many did worthless “Job Active” taxpayer-subsidised training courses.

They wasted their skills and qualifications doing menial jobs that paid so little, they couldn’t afford to leave home or start repaying their HECS debt. Some employers exploited them as long-term, unpaid interns.

Why create qualifications that aren’t in the interests of the students or employers?

We are creating a nation of baristas with double degrees."

DonFerrari said:
Dark_Lord_2008 said:
Sales jobs would be ideal for a person with no experience and can earn decent money without having experience or qualifications. However you need an extroverted, friendly personality to be good at sales. I have an introverted personality and that makes it near impossible to gain employment. I have sat through interviews and did not say a single word and found it very awkward. I hate being introverted and thinking too much, it is the root cause of all my issues in life. There are so many people that are extroverts that are loud, think less and achieved lower grades than I did at school but they live happier and more successful lives than I do. It is my personality that is the issues and being introverted is a terrible curse that I have never accepted in life. Being an introvert means harder to find employment and it is harder to make friends.

How do you change from being introverted to being extroverted? Is personality you are stuck with or can it be changed?

This. Not many people are born extroverted. I hate talking to people it is draining. I rather be thinking ahead about something.

At work though you are forced to work with people and you get better at it. Hell I used to be scared presenting to 3 people. At work now I present to 50-100 at a time now. Still don't have a great way with words (as I am more technical), however, I get my message across in a way that sounds like I know what I am doing lol.

Cobretti2 said:
DonFerrari said:

This. Not many people are born extroverted. I hate talking to people it is draining. I rather be thinking ahead about something.

At work though you are forced to work with people and you get better at it. Hell I used to be scared presenting to 3 people. At work now I present to 50-100 at a time now. Still don't have a great way with words (as I am more technical), however, I get my message across in a way that sounds like I know what I am doing lol.

That is part the "who we are" vs "who we show to achieve what we need"

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

I have family in extremely rural Pennsylvania where jobs are scarce...
And most only pay just enough to survive...
Opportunities for education and growth exist but require immense sacrifices if you have a family for which to provide...
The opioid epidemic doesn't help either, even if you yourself aren't using...

Have a nice day...

Around the Network

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-22/long-term-unemployed-government-business-aust-industry-group/9177752

"As a nation we can do more when it comes to retraining, reskilling, re-energising those people who are long-term unemployed," he said.

"We have to make a national effort or else unfortunately they are going to be left behind, potentially left on the scrap heap."

"They are early school leavers, they are people who have been in jobs for a long time who haven't had many skills and have been tipped out of the labour market through labour market restructuring, or they are groups who are traditionally discriminated against," he said.

"Long-term unemployment is a function of there not being enough sufficient demand for labour in the economy."

"Long-term unemployed people lacked the skills needed for the changing economy or they did not live in locations where new jobs were being created."

"The nature of jobs is changing, the way jobs are being structured is changing and that impacting on those who have been out of work for a long time," Mr Willox said.

Key points:

• There are now more long-term unemployed than during the GFC
  • Almost 25pc of jobless have been out of work for more than a year, one-in-six workers underemployed
  • AiG says government and employers need to lift their game in training long-term unemployed and focus on health and aged care sectors

Last edited by Dark_Lord_2008 - on 10 April 2019

There are more long term unemployed people now because there are more benefits and support for people who doesn't have a job. If you hadn't the government giving you taxpayer money for the last 10 years you would either have died already or more likely done something of your life and start to really work.

Unemployment rate on Australia at this moment is 5.4% which is on the good side of the equation. So the odds of someone really trying to get a work over 10 years and never even getting a no just show it isn't trying enough. Even more when the person admits he just say mandatory applications to keep receiving money.

https://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2295499

"How to explain away long unemployment gap?"

"Have turned my life around now and am a productive member of society, however I did have a similar issue when I went for my first job for many years.

The way I dealt with it when asked about the resume gap was to say I'd entered a serious relationship with a single working mother and we'd agreed for me to be the "stay at home dad" as neither of us wanted child care for the young ones.

Considering my job prior to that was only casual full time menial labor (Sheet Metal worker) and she was on track for a career in law we didn't consider the choice for me to not work to be a major detriment to my long term career options.

Unfortunately the relationship ended and I needed to get back on my own two feet.

They accepted that explanation with no further questions asked.

As far as the references were concerned, I just told them I'd not stayed in touch with my past management on a personal level and the business had since changed hands, therefore I could not offer any professional referees, only personal character references... sorry."

"You will not get any job without references.

You cannot even get a job at Coles or Woolworths without three references.

Sorry but you have no hope of getting a job unless you do some worthwhile volunteer work, do that for a year or so, and then get a legitimate references.

You will also have to pay a person or two to lie for you......Sorry to say but there is absolutely no way you will ever become employed until you can have at least 2 – 3 solid references.

Be 'honest' and get no work. Enjoy working 25 hours a week for the dole next year."

Punishing the unemployed doesn't create more jobs. It demoralises jobseekers

"Such a strategy doesn’t somehow magically create positions for people; instead, it denies citizens of their rights and freedom, and puts unemployed workers at risk of fatal injury.

Last year, 18 year-old Josh Park-Fing died when we he fell from a moving flatbed trailer – a work for the dole activity he was forced to do so he could “earn” a miserly $218.75 per week in youth allowance."

"Left unable to walk and completely bed-ridden, Smart is still seeking justice and accountability for his suffering. According to the law, work for the dole workers aren’t even employees, so his injuries aren’t covered by workers’ compensation legislation. A year and a half on, he has received no assistance for treatment, no free care plan – not even an apology. In Smart’s own words: “I felt abandoned, thought I might die … at times I wanted to end my life and the pain – if not for my partner I would have..."

"Instead of investing into the creation of jobs , the government is essentially funnelling more vulnerable people into dangerous programs that help job agencies and employers turn greater profits.

Already, in these compliance programs, government officials and job agents wield all the power, leaving the poor and vulnerable feeling like they can’t question their obligations – the kind of obligations that resulted in immeasurable harm for Smart and Park-Fing."

From my birth until I was 18, 11 if you count the family business.

Really answering your question, though, after working about 4 months in my first job, I quit and did nothing for the next 2 years. Only looked for another job last January, and I found it at a coffee shop, but then I managed to find another one that paid better 2 months later. 2500 Mexican pesos a week once training is over, about 140 dollars, not too bad here and for someone of my age. Lots of benefits, too.

Really glad this opportunity arose, can only expect to get better from here. Speaking English was the key, and I'm glad video games were an important tool to learn it ::p

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first.