By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
sundin13 said:
Rab said:

The Dems compromising on $15 min wage bill, poor/weak negotiations that will lead to a poor outcome for workers

The motivation/commitment to a fair min wage just does not appear be there in the effort to appease the Reps, bodes poorly  

Every bill to significantly increase the minimum wage seeks to do so gradually. It isn't a good thing to shock the economic system by doubling the minimum wage overnight. It isn't a compromise to say that this is going to take time, it is simply the reality of the situation. Otherwise, it is highly likely that job losses would be exaggerated, especially in the middle of a pandemic where businesses are already struggling. 

This is another shit take.

But one thing it must absolutely have is to finally being tied to inflation. Because all those jumps in minimum wage are not healthy for employers and the economy, while the long plateaus in between with not increase screws over the employees.

Around the Network

It is the right wing politics of fear, hate and division that opposes increase in the minimum wage. The right wing claim that minimum wage results in job losses. The reality is as proven in many countries around the world that increasing minimum wage creates more jobs as a result of the increased spending from the lower paid workers. Increasing minimum wage boosts the economy and improves the living standards of the lowest paid workers. Tax cuts for the rich and trickle down economics fail every time because the rich save the tax cuts and they do not spend to create more economic growth. The right wing argue against reality and make up lies that result in lots of people voting against their own interests.

European nations, New Zealand and Australia are examples of countries where people on minimum wage helped boost the economy with their pay increases being spent to boost economic growth. The American minimum wage earners pay increases will be spent and will boost economic growth. Cutting taxes for the top 10% of Americans were saved and did nothing to boost economic growth. Trickle down effect is a lie, tax cuts for the rich are saved and results in no economic growth.

Last edited by Phoenix20 - on 27 January 2021

TallSilhouette said:

I know I shouldn't be surprised at this point, but I'm still amazed at just how batshit crazy the Republican party has become. In the latest example, the Oregon GOP releases a resolution calling the Capitol riot a false flag operation. I can only hope this is the desperate flailing of a crumbling party that will soon go the way of the Whigs.

Actually this is not batshit crazy but simple political maneuver.  The reason I say this is that the GOP wants to turn the narrative from the riot to something other than Trump supporters or Republican's storming the capital into an alternate narrative.  This is basic marketing where they present an alternate view, continue to forward that view even though its BS and then say it enough times to get their constitutes to start to believe the lie.  Its basically what Trump has done for the last 4 years and it has worked.

Its like this old comedy skit where the husband get caught sleeping with another women and when she confronts him he says it wasn't me.  He continue to say it wasn't me until the other woman gets dressed and then leaves and by the time the skit leaves, the wife has totally believed she witness something not true and believes him.

The GOP will continue to do the same because they know there constitutes, want to believe the alternate view and thus confirm their bias.  You only have to continue to feed that bias and after a few years, the alternate view with have taken the form and shape of BLM and Antifa storming the capitol with secrete Obama para military units and Hillary and Soros bussed in paid actors.  Since I have already seen this narrative making its rounds and the success Trump has had dipping in those BS conspiracy theories to his benefit, I can see the GOP trying to do the same thing.

Phoenix20 said:

It will take a long time for America to recover from Trump's politics of fear and hate that divided the nation. America now has a chance to recover under Biden's Presidency. A President that can unite the country and clean up Trump's mess is needed.

Increasing minimum wage to $15 per hour, bringing back Obamacare, taking action on Climate Change and throwing out Trump's bad policies are a start. A higher minimum wage will ensure the working poor have a liveable wage and the extra spending will go directly back into the economy. Tax cuts for the rich are bad economic policy because tax cuts for the rich are saved and do not go back into the economy. Tax cuts for lower and middle income workers are more likely to be spent than saved and go back into the economy.

Naw, people keep this belief that Trump caused division within America but America was always this divided.  Its been this divided for a very long time the only thing Trump did was bring that division to the surface.  He exposed the hidden heart of a lot of Americans and gave it voice by obtaining the highest political seat in America.  Biden Presidency only just drops us back to the status quo as far as I am concerned but who knows, lets see where this goes.  This belief that the President can do it all is why we have not really progressed in years.  It takes more than a President seat to really make change in the US, it takes a complete overhaul of congress as well.  Term limits should be front and center on their agenda and we really would benefit from a lot of these old farts leaving and some fresh, hopfully not batshit crazy ideals get more voice.

Just like the GOP hasn't been "radicalized" by Trump. He just made it obvious with easy to understand images like Nazis and hundreds of thousands of dead people. Trump isn't the extreme, he's just too stupid and self absorbed to hide the extreme. The GOP has been killing hundreds of thousands of their citizens long before Trump or Corona. They just used more boring measures.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
Rab said:

The Dems compromising on $15 min wage bill, poor/weak negotiations that will lead to a poor outcome for workers

The motivation/commitment to a fair min wage just does not appear be there in the effort to appease the Reps, bodes poorly  

What a shame, even worse as explained in the video they want the minimum wage to then be tied to the median wage increase from year to year. It took 40 years for the median wage to increase only 15% while the inflation is 2%+ per annum. This can only lead to impoverishment of the population.

Minimum wage tied to inflation should not even be a question it should be an inherent part of the minimum wage.

Why would you even add a minimum wage, which have no purpose other than pure decency and cover the base cost of living, if you set it so that the next year it wouldn't be unable to serve the exact same purpose by adjusting itself.

Honestly, it makes more sense to gradually bring the minimum wage up to $15/hour than to jump to that amount. Hopefully, it doesn't lead to people losing their jobs or getting their hours cut over it.

Last edited by Mr.GameCrazy - on 14 February 2021

EpicRandy said:
Rab said:

What a shame, even worse as explained in the video they want the minimum wage to then be tied to the median wage increase from year to year. It took 40 years for the median wage to increase only 15% while the inflation is 2%+ per annum. This can only lead to impoverishment of the population.

Minimum wage tied to inflation should not even be a question it should be an inherent part of the minimum wage.

Why would you even add a minimum wage, which have no purpose other than pure decency and cover the base cost of living, if you set it so that the next year it wouldn't be unable to serve the exact same purpose by adjusting itself.

Maybe I wrong but I thought Median wage increase have increase in total 15% over the last 40 years in constant year dollars.  Meaning 15% above inflation.  which would make it better then if you tie it to inflation.

edit found chart showing my point

Second chart I found a little outdated since from 2014 but compares the two methods.

Last edited by Cyran - on 27 January 2021

Phoenix20 said:

It is the right wing politics of fear, hate and division that opposes increase in the minimum wage. The right wing claim that minimum wage results in job losses. The reality is as proven in many countries around the world that increasing minimum wage creates more jobs as a result of the increased spending from the lower paid workers. Increasing minimum wage boosts the economy and improves the living standards of the lowest paid workers. Tax cuts for the rich and trickle down economics fail every time because the rich save the tax cuts and they do not spend to create more economic growth. The right wing argue against reality and make up lies that result in lots of people voting against their own interests.

European nations, New Zealand and Australia are examples of countries where people on minimum wage helped boost the economy with their pay increases being spent to boost economic growth. The American minimum wage earners pay increases will be spent and will boost economic growth. Cutting taxes for the top 10% of Americans were saved and did nothing to boost economic growth. Trickle down effect is a lie, tax cuts for the rich are saved and results in no economic growth.

The minimum wage for a casual worker who is 21 years or older in Australia (With Casual Loading) is $21.58 USD.
Absolutely blows my mind that people would argue for anything less.

Trickle down economics does actually work... Up to a point.. And that point is when the money just gets banked and thus doesn't contribute to economic activity.
Modern nations need to find the right balance between tax breaks for big business/rich and a high minimum wage... And I think we have it right in Australia.

EpicRandy said:

Here the fair work ombudsmen sets the minimum wage... And typically has increased the minimum wage faster than inflation and the average wage for years now.
The USA needs to look towards other nations with set systems that work... Rather than go about things their own way.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Here the fair work ombudsmen sets the minimum wage... And typically has increased the minimum wage faster than inflation and the average wage for years now.

The USA needs to look towards other nations with set systems that work... Rather than go about things their own way.

That's a consistent issue in the US. Rather than make high speed railroads we give Elon Musk money or a dumbass vacuum tube. Rather than look to the education systems that work in other countries we try privatizing everything and see how that goes. Why we always want to reinvent the wheel is beyond me.