By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

https://www.businessinsider.com/north-carolina-voters-receive-ballot-request-forms-with-trumps-face-2020-8?r=DE&IR=T

THE FUCK? How is that shit allowed? Party propaganda on ballots? THE FUCK? I mean I know the US isn't concerned with democracy but how come the closer you look the more it looks like a genuine dictatorship?

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
KiigelHeart said:

Well they are charged with 2nd degree assault and in the state of New York "in the first degree and second degree assault cases, the prosecutor must prove that the defendant specifically intented to cause serious physical harm to the victim. This must be proven beyond reasonable doubt." So I'd say intent is pretty relevant here. Then again, the US law seems to be all over the place so I can't be certain about this description.  Crazy sentences I must say, minimum of two years in prison for punching someone geez.. Here you can be quilty of aggravated assault and not spend a day in prison.

Still not sure what was the point of your drunk driving example though, but I guess it's ok. This has been off-topic for a while.

There are a lot of subheadings under second degree assault (in NY) and only one needs to be met to prove the charge. I am guessing that the prosecutor will aim for this one:

12. He injures someone aged 65 or older, and is himself at least 10 years younger than the victim; 

I read those subheadings and understood this also requires intent to cause an injury. Prosecutor probably knows this shit better than me though, so this could be what he is aiming for. 

vivster said:

Yeah, I've seen too many policemen in the US shoving unarmed harmless people to the ground, using tasers on unarmed people, raising guns at unarmed people, shooting unarmed people, kicking, hitting and choking already pacified people to give any of them the benefit of the doubt. This of course includes the numerous colleagues that just stand by and do nothing about it. In any other civilized country police brutality like that would be national news, in the US it happens a hundred times every day. There is no point in using violence against an individual that is already on the ground and handcuffed, yet they do it anyway just for the fun of it.

And don't come with "but they're only doing it to be sure to keep themselves safe, the suspect could be armed and kill them any second" bullshit. If they can't tell if an individual is dangerous or not they're unfit for their job and should be fired due to gross incompetence. Same goes for their not intervening colleagues, who apparently are unable to detect if someone is breaking a law. If you as a policemen are unable to detect when someone breaks a law you are grossly incompetent at your job and should be fired.

As entertaining it would be to have an IT guy looking at clips deciding what's admissible use of force, I think I'll stick with my opinion it should be for prosecutor and court to decide with all the information available.

Nothing wrong with using taser on unarmed person per se. In fact it's very risky to use it against someone armed with a blade or gun because it isn't always reliable. Especially if the officer is alone, then a gun is the choice of force. Wrestling indeed often is more dangerous for both the officer and the suspect. Risk of injury is always there, especially since those situations usually don't happen in a safe environment; it's on the street, tight spaces indoors, obstacles around you, street can be on ice etc. Raising a gun on unarmed suspects most likely depends on the information they have before coming face-to-face with him. If he's been seen carrying a firearm before then it's reasonable.

Not saying excess force or brutality doesn't happen, but internet videos don't usually provide enough context. Certainly not always for you to decide if an individual is dangerous or not.

sundin13 said:
Zoombael said:

How many times in your IT job did you have to deal with heavily armed customers who want to shoot you dead?

Another tidbit that proofs how disconnected you people are from reality.

The fact that cops have been killed in the line of duty is a tragedy and obviously steps should be taken to protect police officers. However, that does not in any way mean that all of police misconduct can be entirely forgiven because some cops have been killed. While these issues certainly intersect, they are not mutually inclusive and we cannot as a society give police free reign to abuse their power because of the risks of their job. We must hold officers to a high standard in order to maintain the integrity of our police systems, and protect ourselves from government tyranny. That means that when an individual either shows poor judgement on the job, or acts in an inappropriate way, they should be either retrained or let go depending on the severity of the incident and their history. 

Agree with this. And although it might seem I'm defending every possible scenario people think should be considered a police brutality, that's not the case. Here's a very recent incident that's currently on district court here in Finland https://www.iltalehti.fi/kotimaa/a/91be24f7-7bf9-457c-a825-3f1be45ca119

The cop who punches the suspect three times is charged with aggravated assault and as far as I'm concerned, he should be sentenced and let go of the job. Punching a suspect is strictly forbidden here unless it's a very critical situation like someone's on a chokehold, suspect tries to take your gun etc.

I'd have other stuff in mind but don't have time to write it down now. I'll finish my post later.

vivster said:

As someone who has spent his life debating with religious people I'm a bit exhausted. That's what fandoms are at their core, religions. Beliefs that become either part of or their whole identity. As soon as it's attached to your identity it's basically impossible to convince people because it is really tough to reject yourself. If someone told me that I've been living a lie all my life and my whole being is invalid I'd probably have a very hard time accepting that too.

I tend to stay far away from zealots of any kind because I do have a realistic fear of their extreme reactions. It's especially tough with conservative zealots because violence is part of their identity and they feel legitimized by their peers to use it. I mean look at this thread where people try to honestly defend the use of police brutality and gun ownership. Of course any zealot is dangerous, I wouldn't go near rioters either, though I'd consider their violence more personal than ideologically motivated. I very much doubt they loot stores out of protest and rather just because they're assholes while using the protests as an excuse.

There isn't really any point trying to understand the other side when you already know their reasoning is completely irrational and based on feelings rather than logic. There isn't a logical reason to vote for Trump unless you are a millionaire. I know why they do what they do and I pity them for it, but it's not like I can do anything about it. All I can do is be frustrated and watch as they destroy society.

If one doesn't want to understand their opponent's side, they can't really expect said opponent to bother understanding their side. I think being unwilling to form dialogue is destructive to society as where does that leave us but to scream and fight at each other? In your case I do understand and I'm not saying you must continue to engage with them until you die, just some food for thought. Based on my experience I'd say every 1 in 15 people can have their minds changed with facts n logic as it's quite possible they made up their mind on misinformation. Those are worthy odds! Even when that doesn't happen, discussion doesn't always end with vitriol. I don't like religion either, but I won't say I could never be friends with a religious person. I don't believe a positive relationship requires people to agree on all matters, but to be fair, I don't have any of those so what would I know? Dx 

Ending Fossil Fuel Subsidies (corporate welfare) Quietly Removed From Dem Platform, tax incentives for Green Energy also Quietly removed 

vivster said:
https://www.businessinsider.com/north-carolina-voters-receive-ballot-request-forms-with-trumps-face-2020-8?r=DE&IR=T

THE FUCK? How is that shit allowed? Party propaganda on ballots? THE FUCK? I mean I know the US isn't concerned with democracy but how come the closer you look the more it looks like a genuine dictatorship?

Big Brother is watching you through this ballot! So consider you choice from here...

Around the Network
Runa216 said:

Because she was Secretary of State when Obama was elected & Bill's husband, I think. Plus I think the democrats (A traditionally centrist group) may have felt that Bernie's policies (Though globally proven to work time and time again) might have been TOO far left leaning. They wanted a moderate, not a radical leftist. (Which is funny because Bernie's policies were nowhere near radical, they were just pretty far left compared to modern republicans and thus they didn't wanna risk something TOO outlandish in case they fail to win the swing states)

LurkerJ said:
Runa216 said:

Because she was Secretary of State when Obama was elected & Bill's husband, I think. Plus I think the democrats (A traditionally centrist group) may have felt that Bernie's policies (Though globally proven to work time and time again) might have been TOO far left leaning. They wanted a moderate, not a radical leftist. (Which is funny because Bernie's policies were nowhere near radical, they were just pretty far left compared to modern republicans and thus they didn't wanna risk something TOO outlandish in case they fail to win the swing states)

What? 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Satire directed at the US Government from your friends in Australia, don't worry they also satire Australia viciously ;)

Rab said:

Satire directed at the US Government from your friends in Australia, don't worry they also satire Australia viciously ;)

While we're at it:

And most importantly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=klUweWE-u6A

You're welcome!

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Zoombael said:

I understand. There are people who clearly have a misconception of "peaceful protest".

This is what civil protesting looks like.

This is not "peaceful".

You know, peaceful as in non-violent, non-agitating, not throwing objects, trying to hit people with deadly weapons, smashing windows and looting. I suggest you watch the videos several times, going back and forth, until you know to differentiate.

The second misconception is, that i'd have to justify the actions of individual law enforcement officers. When caught doing something wrong, they do get reprimanded and punished accordingly. As was the case with old man who stumbled backwards after he got a little shove and hit the ground misfortunately.

You on the other hand still trying to justify the incited violence, people getting their businesses, homes and vehicles destroyed by "peaceful protesters".

The protests were peaceful - until the police walked in in full military gear and started clubbing and shooting people on sight! Do you really expect protesters to do nothing and let the police brutality on full display pass during protests against police brutality? That's like calling someone out for hitting you and then getting hit twice more as a response. Do you really expect people to stay calm after that? Would you stay calm if somebody punched you in the face and then points a gun right at you?

Zoombael said:

Where is your evidence? In what cases, where use of deadly force was ruled unjustified, got the police officers not even reprimanded. 

You're kidding, right? Tell me you're kidding or trolling here.

Due to qualified immunity and police unions taking cities almost literally at ransom, even if someone tries to reprimand them, nothing comes to happen. They could gun down an entire family of innocent people without warning and get out free of charges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0HNZYJskB0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wl6yXjdMlHI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0QoHvmeduo

Qualified immunity is the main reason why police is so brutal and trigger-happy in the US, since they are practically untouchable from law. The reason the officers who killed George Floyd were not getting protected by qualified immunity is because the outcry and protests were too great when that happened at first and thus courts changed course - but only on those officers.

The second reason is that police unions have cities pretty much by the balls in an iron grip and are actively fending off any reform attempts which would give more clarity or would make them actually even just somewhat accountable for their actions. Basically, Police hijacked their own unions and turned them into a syndicate to protect them from anything the law could throw at them. Counties that don't have police unions are more accountable as qualified immunity has it's limits, and as a result killed far less people than counties with police unions.

Where is the police wearing full riot gear in the video showing the planned attack in Chicago? They aren't near the agitators when they start their action, the officers don't even wear helmets because they were ordered not to and they were reassured it's going to stay peaceful.

And again i have to ask, where is your evidence? You spout alligations, but not a shred of proof. Where are the numerous videos showing police escalating protests? If as evident as you act it is, we would undoubtetly see a lot of these kind of violent clashes filmed by all kinds of spectators. The police was called in because of ongoing destruction. We saw and see "peaceful protesters" destroying statues and buildings. And when the law steps in it is their fault, because they don't let the people destroy, burn and loot? Reality check.

----

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueOiap-qGLw

Action - Reaction. Rioters approach the ICE compound and start action by vandalizing. Law enforcement re-acts and pushes the crowd back, with notable active and passive resistance, with the purpose to prevent damage to another public building. This isn't an exception, it has become a frequent occurrence. Still people pretend this happens on some other planet, that this has no repercussions and certainly doesn't sway public opinion, that there is nothing wrong with left extremists, their well funded warchest and pending agenda, wilfully ignorant brushing of numerous violent acts and the increasing number of people speaking up against BLM and protests.

Portland Protest Day 80 - Locals speak out on current situation supporting PBB

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwitAltkstE

Antifa continues into 90 consecutive nights of rioting in Portland - chanting Burn the Prisons down (setting buildings on fire -> reaction police intervenes)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DKJFpHt1EU

BLM activists' 'extortion' attempt of local restaurants backfires as Cuban owners fight back

https://thepostmillennial.com/cuban-community-refuses-blm-demands

BLM organizer who called looting ‘reparations’ dismisses peaceful protesting

https://nypost.com/2020/08/13/blm-organizer-who-called-looting-reparations-doubles-down/

The ignorance slapped into everyones face who doesn't agree 100%, including residents who have had enough having to deal with continuing rowdyism. No tolerance for justified critique. Why should any sane person take anyone showing this kind of infantile attitude seriously? Blazing hypocrisy by the pinnacle of righteousness.

------

"...nothing comes to happen. They could gun down an entire family of innocent people without warning and get out free of charges."

Shooting of Botham Jean. The shooter, police officer Amber Guyger, got 10 years in prison. With no chance of joining the law enforcement ever again.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Botham_Jean

You didn't answer my question. I repeat: Where is your evidence? What cases, where use of deadly force was ruled unjustified, got the police officers not even reprimanded.

------

A reminder, because special people seem still to misunderstand, although i already stated the following earlier in this very thread. I do not claim US law enforcement is void of wrong doings. Unlike the individuals trying to argue against my perspective, i have a neck for deeper analysis. I don't insist on maintaining a superficial point of view and let gut feeling do the judging. You see one party actively and solely guilty, that there is nothing done to make police officers in the field stand account. Despite the wide distribution of body-, dash- and surveilance cams capturing many incidents. Among them many criticized publicly for excessive force, which are used to fuel prostests and agitating the masses. But with a very few exceptions, misconduct is a no show and use of deadly force justified. Ironically, some cases with white american victims would help to evoke awareness. But not all lives matter, not an issue that affects the entire folk. Widening the schism by portraying the cause is nothing else but systemic racism is helpful how? It certainly makes good ammunition for a political cause. Enough to have "peaceful protesters" doing what they do for an extensive amount of time and any contra given is by racists, homophobes, republicans. It certainly is going to be interesting in case Trump wins again. 

As a sidenote: I like watching China Uncensored, even though it's a Falung Gong entity. Known to support the conservative side of US politics. Epoch Times, and Larry Elder by extent, are under their wing, too.

Hunting Season is done...