By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Nope.  Check the forum rules, there are no justification statutes :p

Boring.

But... I could do it without your permission anyway. Something to ponder. Hm...

I think it would be fair for you to have the same protections of the US legal system when I have the authority to sentence you to prison.  

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
KLAMarine said:

If you don't want to meet my personal standards, that's fine. Allow me to tell you what you just told me: you are free to not participate.

I have my standards and I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head demanding that they meet my standards.

If you want to believe mere hearsay, do so at your own risk. If you want to persuade me, you have to go the extra mile. Ignore my posts if you don't want to bother going the extra mile.

By the way, I'd love to see the day a lawyer in court, when given the chance to present their case, asks the jury to 'google it' rather than actually putting together some sort of case or having within reach that which holds up their claims.

I try to give people the same benefit of the doubt that I expect from others. There are certainly times when I ask someone for more information or a source for what they are saying, but it always in service of a point or an argument. There is always something I am trying to say to contribute to the discussion instead of just trying to satisfy myself with this information. So when someone else asks for more sources or more information, I'll do what I can to assist, in the expectation that they are going to contribute in some way. When they don't, I feel like that's pretty shitty.

That said, its kind of ridiculous that you are trying to discredit all the information we do have as "mere hearsay" just because it isn't on video. When someone says "I said this and I did this", that is not hearsay. It is actually direct evidence and it would, 100% of the time, be admissible in court. There is no substantive or legal justification to ignoring this information that we do have. It is important to take into consideration that this is the actor's account of what happened, and it is possible that they were lying to protect themselves, but when that account is incriminating, there isn't really any reason to believe that the truth would make them look less guilty.

As for your last statement, we aren't in court and you are not a jury member. Your role in this conversation is not to be the trier of fact or to passively sit back and see if you will be convinced. Your role is closer to that of the lawyer. You are assumed to be a contributing party to a discussion, who is making a point or an argument. I'd love to see a defense lawyer, wholly unprepared for court, asking for the prosecution to spoonfeed them information so they can maybe make a case...

Actually I wouldn't. That would suck.

And it does.

This conversation sucks.

"Your role in this conversation is not to be the trier of fact or to passively sit back and see if you will be convinced. Your role is closer to that of the lawyer. You are assumed to be a contributing party to a discussion, who is making a point or an argument."

>My role is whatever I want it to be. If all I want to do is ask questions about the discussion, I can do that. Good news is no one is under any obligation to answer my questions. They can completely ignore if they wish.

JWeinCom said:
KLAMarine said:

"assuming a civilian that shot somebody was in the wrong isn't biased. People just shouldn't be shooting other people, full stop"

>Well we don't live in a perfect world. Sometimes, people shoot other people for evil reasons. Other times, they do it for good reasons.

I could assume the former was done for evil reasons and would be right. I could assume the same for the latter case and I would be wrong.

Assuming someone who shot someone else was in the wrong based solely on the fact that the act was a shooting is a biased point of view.

If you don't want to meet my personal standards, that's fine. Allow me to tell you what you just told me: you are free to not participate.

I have my standards and I'm not holding a gun to anyone's head demanding that they meet my standards.

If you want to believe mere hearsay, do so at your own risk. If you want to persuade me, you have to go the extra mile. Ignore my posts if you don't want to bother going the extra mile.

By the way, I'd love to see the day a lawyer in court, when given the chance to present their case, asks the jury to 'google it' rather than actually putting together some sort of case or having within reach that which holds up their claims.

No.  Assuming that someone shot someone was in the wrong based on the fact that they shot someone is the way the law works.  Shooting someone is in fact illegal.  If you do something illegal, you have to explain why it was justified.  That's the whole purpose of a legal defense.

Again, I have to ask, what legal standard are you suggesting?  The standard you seem to be suggesting is that you can walk up to a person with guns drawn, and if they then respond in a way that makes you feel threatened, you have the right to shoot them.  And that's absolutely absurd and has no basis in our legal system.  

The other way around: the standard I'm suggesting is you cannot walk up to a person who is armed, lunge for the firearm, struggle for the firearm, and then act surprised when you get shot.

The video showed Arbery walking up to the parked truck, not the other way around.

KLAMarine said:
sundin13 said:

I try to give people the same benefit of the doubt that I expect from others. There are certainly times when I ask someone for more information or a source for what they are saying, but it always in service of a point or an argument. There is always something I am trying to say to contribute to the discussion instead of just trying to satisfy myself with this information. So when someone else asks for more sources or more information, I'll do what I can to assist, in the expectation that they are going to contribute in some way. When they don't, I feel like that's pretty shitty.

That said, its kind of ridiculous that you are trying to discredit all the information we do have as "mere hearsay" just because it isn't on video. When someone says "I said this and I did this", that is not hearsay. It is actually direct evidence and it would, 100% of the time, be admissible in court. There is no substantive or legal justification to ignoring this information that we do have. It is important to take into consideration that this is the actor's account of what happened, and it is possible that they were lying to protect themselves, but when that account is incriminating, there isn't really any reason to believe that the truth would make them look less guilty.

As for your last statement, we aren't in court and you are not a jury member. Your role in this conversation is not to be the trier of fact or to passively sit back and see if you will be convinced. Your role is closer to that of the lawyer. You are assumed to be a contributing party to a discussion, who is making a point or an argument. I'd love to see a defense lawyer, wholly unprepared for court, asking for the prosecution to spoonfeed them information so they can maybe make a case...

Actually I wouldn't. That would suck.

And it does.

This conversation sucks.

"Your role in this conversation is not to be the trier of fact or to passively sit back and see if you will be convinced. Your role is closer to that of the lawyer. You are assumed to be a contributing party to a discussion, who is making a point or an argument."

>My role is whatever I want it to be. If all I want to do is ask questions about the discussion, I can do that. Good news is no one is under any obligation to answer my questions. They can completely ignore if they wish.

JWeinCom said:

No.  Assuming that someone shot someone was in the wrong based on the fact that they shot someone is the way the law works.  Shooting someone is in fact illegal.  If you do something illegal, you have to explain why it was justified.  That's the whole purpose of a legal defense.

Again, I have to ask, what legal standard are you suggesting?  The standard you seem to be suggesting is that you can walk up to a person with guns drawn, and if they then respond in a way that makes you feel threatened, you have the right to shoot them.  And that's absolutely absurd and has no basis in our legal system.  

The other way around: the standard I'm suggesting is you cannot walk up to a person who is armed, lunge for the firearm, struggle for the firearm, and then act surprised when you get shot.

The video showed Arbery walking up to the parked truck, not the other way around.

Except that it is undisputed that they were following him. With guns.  They themselves have attested to as such which is why they are being charged with aggravated assault.  He did not walk up to them until they drove after him, parked in front of him, and exited the vehicle with a weapon drawn. This is a felony, aggravated assault.

By that point, it is entirely reasonable, whatever may have been said, that he may have been afraid of force being used against him, and he would have been completely justified to act in self defense.  Even if we assume they said "I swear by my life I'm not going to shoot you" there is no way a reasonable person could have known if he was sincere and would have reasonably felt as though they were in danger.  

So, you are allowed to drive after someone with guns drawn, and the person you were chasing (who has no possible way to know if you are planning on harming them or not) is responsible if they try to disarm you?

Last edited by JWeinCom - on 14 May 2020

KLAMarine said:

I'm just explaining why you are a bad conversation partner and why pretty much everyone you spoke to in this thread got frustrated with you. You can continue being a bad conversation partner. That is entirely your prerogative, but you should expect that most people won't take too kindly to you wasting their time.

JWeinCom said:

So, you are allowed to drive after someone with guns drawn, and the person you were chasing (who has no possible way to know if you are planning on harming them or not) is responsible if they try to disarm you?

As long as 100% of it isn't on video, you're good to go!

sundin13 said:
KLAMarine said:

I'm just explaining why you are a bad conversation partner and why pretty much everyone you spoke to in this thread got frustrated with you. You can continue being a bad conversation partner. That is entirely your prerogative, but you should expect that most people won't take too kindly to you wasting their time.

JWeinCom said:

Apparently, even if I said, "yes that's exactly what I was doing".

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
KLAMarine said:

Except that it is undisputed that they were following him. With guns.  They themselves have attested to as such which is why they are being charged with aggravated assault.  He did not walk up to them until they drove after him, parked in front of him, and exited the vehicle with a weapon drawn. This is a felony, aggravated assault.

By that point, it is entirely reasonable, whatever may have been said, that he may have been afraid of force being used against him, and he would have been completely justified to act in self defense.  

So what have the gunmen attested to exactly?

sundin13 said:
KLAMarine said:

JWeinCom said:

"you should expect that most people won't take too kindly to you wasting their time."

>Well I have a simple solution for those people: just stop responding.

I'm regularly tempted to do the same since nothing we do here will make any difference. It's in the court's hands now.

KLAMarine said:
JWeinCom said:

By that point, it is entirely reasonable, whatever may have been said, that he may have been afraid of force being used against him, and he would have been completely justified to act in self defense.  

So what have the gunmen attested to exactly?

sundin13 said:

"you should expect that most people won't take too kindly to you wasting their time."

>Well I have a simple solution for those people: just stop responding.

I'm regularly tempted to do the same since nothing we do here will make any difference. It's in the court's hands now.

They made statements to the police that they were pursuing him, and when he refused to stop as they requested, the shooter exited his vehicle with a shotgun.  This is in the letter that has been posted several times here, as well as on many other sources.  Nowhere is it disputed that they initiated the pursuit and interaction.  

Considering the undisputed facts, would a reasonable person in the victim's shoes feel that their safety was being threatened?  Is there anything the shooters could have said that would have given him justifiable assurance that he was safe?

RolStoppable said:
KLAMarine's points still stand.

Oh, you.

First your account is wrong so why don't you go back and rewatch the video again.  Arbery does not walk up to the Truck actually he goes from being on the driver side to going totally to the opposite side of the Truck.  The driver with the shotgun gets out of the Truck and goes to the front.  This is where you see Arbery charge the gun man.  Now ask yourself, the question, why did the driver with the shotgun get out of the Truck move to the front of the truck with his shotgun.  Do you believe he was asking Arbery if he wanted some candy.  By their own account, they stopped in front of him to FORCE him to stop.  The only way the driver with his shotgun was going to do that is to threaten the victim.  The driver gets out of the Truck and has to go to the front with his weapon while Arbery is totally off to the right out of the Camera.  Not only is your account wrong but it appears you just pick and choose what you want to see.

RolStoppable said:
JWeinCom said:

Oh, you.

The most fascinating thing about political threads is that most people have seemingly no problem to recognize when I am serious and when I am trolling, but when someone else pulls off a stunt, all the deductive reasoning that is supposed to be there is nowhere to be found.

You don't fully commit to it.