By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

Terror within can be reduced greatly by having great security inside our nation and doing our job reporting suspicious activities. 

How many fingers am I holding up, Winston?

How is having security anything like 1984?

Around the Network

To be clear, the fights occurring are not a direct result of our actions.

It's a direct result of the people choosing to kill the other people. That is it.

Does us pulling out have an indirect result of additional people dying? That may well be true.

But the question STILL stands. At what point are we obligated to help? If we would have never been there in the 1st place would we have been obligated? What if only a tenth of the people dying were actually dying?

Money can't buy happiness. Just video games, which make me happy.

Baalzamon said:

It's a direct result of the people choosing to kill the other people. That is it.

Does us pulling out have an indirect result of additional people dying? That may well be true.

But the question STILL stands. At what point are we obligated to help? If we would have never been there in the 1st place would we have been obligated? What if only a tenth of the people dying were actually dying?

There are probably more innocent people dying in United States cities ran by Democrats than Kurds. Why care about other people's problems when we need to fix our own shit.

Last edited by Snoopy - on 10 October 2019

SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

There are probably more innocent people dying in United States cities ran by Democrats than Kurds. Why care about other people's problems when we need to fix our own shit.

1. As though nobody innocent dies in a city ran by a Republican mayor/city council. San Diego? Jacksonville? Fort Worth? Miami? These large cities with Republican mayors don't have murders?

2. Thank you for unwittingly showing us just how much we need gun control in the US.  We have more deaths than in a war zone. 

1. Not nearly as bad as Baltimore, ST. Louis, Memphis, and of course your favorite Detroit.

2. Actually, it's been proven more gun control, more gun-related deaths in the United States. Also, I'm not just talking about gun-related deaths. Drug overdose, homeless people dying on the streets, ect.

SpokenTruth said:
Snoopy said:

1. Not nearly as bad as Baltimore, ST. Louis, Memphis, and of course your favorite Detroit.

2. Actually, it's been proven more gun control, more gun-related deaths in the United States. Also, I'm not just talking about gun-related deaths. Drug overdose, homeless people dying on the streets, ect.

A bunch of Democrat cities I see. Here is a list of majors for these terrible cities with a high crime rate.

East St. Louis, IL mayor: Emeka Jackson-Hicks, Democrat
Monroe, LA mayor: Jamie Mayo, Democrat
Alexandria, LA mayor: Jacques M. Roy, Democrat
Camden, NJ mayor: Dana Redd, Democrat
Wilmington, DE mayor: Mike Purzycki, Democrat
St. Louis, MO mayor: Lyda Krewson, Democrat
Bessemer, AL mayor: Kenneth E. Gulley, Democrat
Detroit, MI mayor: Mike Duggan: Democrat
Birmingham, AL mayor: William A. Bell, Democrat
Memphis, TN mayor: Jim Strickland, Democrat
West Memphis, AR mayor: William A. Johnson Jr., Democrat
Chester, PA mayor: Thaddeus Kirkland, Democrat
Milwaukee, WI mayor: Tom Barrett, Democrat
Rockford, IL mayor: Thomas McNamara, Democrat
Cleveland, OH mayor: Frank G. Jackson, Democrat

McKeesport, PA mayor: Michael Cherepko (Democrat)

Last edited by Snoopy - on 10 October 2019

Around the Network
Jaicee said:

Day two of the invasion: Turkey is capturing towns, civilians (including children) are already dying, tens of thousands are fleeing as I write this, and the Kurds may have to stop guarding prisons holding ISIS fighters in order to try and fight off Turkish forces. The Kurdish-led forces are reportedly being forced to turn to Russia now for aid in the form of their spearheading peace negotiations with Turkey.

Trump explains on Twitter that Kurdish fighters "didn't help us in the Second World War. They didn't help us with Normandy. ...With all that being said, we like the Kurds." Well that's helpful. Especially coming from a silver-spooned estate-dweller who didn't have the guts to serve his country when it called upon HIM to do so!! I mean they only won the war against ISIS for us at the cost of some 11,000 of their soldiers, what do we owe them?!?!

Also also, remember the "Free Syrian Army?" The Turkish-controlled "rebel" group in Syria who we supported before they decided not to fight ISIS so we had to turn to the Kurds because only they were willing to at the time? That Free Syrian Army? They're reportedly participating in the Turkish invasion!

A bill has been introduced to impose economic sanctions on Turkey in response to all this, and it appears to have broad bi-partisan support. I hope it passes. There should be sanctions and Turkey should be expelled from NATO at bare minimum, IMO. They are NOT our friends!

Honestly, I'm past anger at this point. I just want to cry.

EDIT: Here's the one Republican Senator who I've seen dare to defend this new White House policy, Rand Paul of Kentucky, on the subject: "I stand with @realDonaldTrump today as he once again fulfills his promises to stop our endless wars and have a true America First foreign policy." I'm not sure how this new policy constitutes ending a war so much as starting one, but okay moron! Also, as the National Review article notes, that wasn't Mr. Rand Paul's view back in 2015 when ISIS was at the height of its power in Syria. Here's Rand Paul back then, where he argued that the U.S. should defeat ISIS by arming the Kurds and pledging them their own country. So there's clearly a principle at stake here for Mr. Paul is my point, not just rank political opportunism and shameless hypocrisy!

Thanks for keeping this in the spotlight and keeping us posted. I'm still in the "can't think about it or I'll throw up" stage of processing it. It's just too much. If Turkey isn't kicked out of NATO for this, I'm joining the "fuck NATO" camp. Turkey is commiting genocide, right now, against our allies, and we're just sitting there watching it happen. Sanctions are not enough. NATO expulsion is not enough. This requires international action, every major world leader should be speaking out against this, Turkey should become a pariah in the west if they don't backtrack immediately, and the UN should intervene. I suppose the bipartisan outrage does provide some small comfort here, but the Republicans should be rebelling harder against the administration. They should go all out, put a gun to Donny's head and make it clear that if he doesn't backtrack they'll join the impeachment effort. I doubt Pence would approve of this atrocity we're committing in abandoning our allies.

Rand Paul is a vile little worm. What is it about Kentucky that they keep electing such uniquely evil people to the Senate?

Edit: Hate to add to your misery, Jaicee, but Rand Paul's Republican opposite, Lindsey Graham, who publicly denounced Trump's Syria move, was caught in a prank call by Russians pretending to be the Turkish defense minister, saying the opposite of what he stated publicly, and that “I told President Trump that Obama made a huge mistake in relying on the YPG Kurds. Everything I worried about has come true, and now we have to make sure Turkey is protected from this threat in Syria. I’m sympathetic to the YPG problem, and so is the president, quite frankly.” He also says he doesn't want to have sanctions on Turkey. If you listen to the call, it sounds like his motivations are probably based on the desire to sell Turkey weapons, and get a trade agreement between the US and Turkey. He wants to dangle the idea of a free trade agreement as incentive to get Turkey to buy US weapons instead of Russian, on the grounds that if they buy Russian instead of US weapons, it will prevent the possibility of a trade agreement and make sanctions inevitable. Now granted these calls were in late August, so Graham's opinion may have changed somewhat with the invasion, but clearly he is no friend of the Kurds and is willing to stab them in the back for money.

I really wish McCain were still alive. At least he had an ounce of principle. He'd make Graham feel ashamed of the spineless sack of lies he's become.

Here's the article, with the recordings of the prank calls, if you're interested: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/10/lindsey-graham-trump-hoax-call-043991

Last edited by HylianSwordsman - on 11 October 2019

Machiavellian said:
vivster said:

Since when do rich people go to prison in the US?

Martha Stewart says hello.

Apparently she wasn't rich enough.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Snoopy said:
sundin13 said:

Very different situations. The Kurds are a distinct group of displaced individuals, who have been fighting for us against ISIS for years and losing lives so we don't have to. If that isn't an ally, I don't know what is.

They have no choice but to fight ISIS. They should be glad we even helped in the first place. It isn't our place to fight wars that don't affect us or our true allies. Sorry, we are not going to deploy troops and spend a lot of money for the rest of our lives for wars that aren't ours.

Either they are our allies or not.  We have spent billions protecting our allies and ourselves so do not sit there and act like this is any different.  The difference is that some allies we just sent a message isn't worth protecting.  We have shone the world as a nation, we will backstab you in a moment noticed and leave you to slaughter.  Since we are already there, helping to fight a enemy that is common amount us both, then when all is ok we split, sends a direct message to any other group willing to help the US.  

Yes, the kurds should kiss our ass because we are the mighty US until the next ISIS attack, then when we need support in another foreign land with experienced people on the ground, they will tell us to go F ourselves.

Baalzamon said:

The US is already obligated when we decided to make allies out of these people.  From there on they are treated just like we would any European country, Japan you name it.  Anything less, shows that we are just opportunist who would backstab anyone at a moment notice.  Either we go in it alone or we work with others to accomplish a task.  

The last thing we do, is knowing leave a region knowing that the moment we pull out our troops, those allies will be slaughtered.  Its the whole reason we have a foreign affairs department and a huge military budget.  We continue to work the peace or at least try to get the area as stable as possible before heading out.  At least work with our allies to get then on solid footing so they will not all die.  Anything less and we show the world that as an ally the use operates like Trump with his businesses.

HylianSwordsman said:
Jaicee said:

Day two of the invasion: Turkey is capturing towns, civilians (including children) are already dying, tens of thousands are fleeing as I write this, and the Kurds may have to stop guarding prisons holding ISIS fighters in order to try and fight off Turkish forces. The Kurdish-led forces are reportedly being forced to turn to Russia now for aid in the form of their spearheading peace negotiations with Turkey.

Trump explains on Twitter that Kurdish fighters "didn't help us in the Second World War. They didn't help us with Normandy. ...With all that being said, we like the Kurds." Well that's helpful. Especially coming from a silver-spooned estate-dweller who didn't have the guts to serve his country when it called upon HIM to do so!! I mean they only won the war against ISIS for us at the cost of some 11,000 of their soldiers, what do we owe them?!?!

Also also, remember the "Free Syrian Army?" The Turkish-controlled "rebel" group in Syria who we supported before they decided not to fight ISIS so we had to turn to the Kurds because only they were willing to at the time? That Free Syrian Army? They're reportedly participating in the Turkish invasion!

A bill has been introduced to impose economic sanctions on Turkey in response to all this, and it appears to have broad bi-partisan support. I hope it passes. There should be sanctions and Turkey should be expelled from NATO at bare minimum, IMO. They are NOT our friends!

Honestly, I'm past anger at this point. I just want to cry.

EDIT: Here's the one Republican Senator who I've seen dare to defend this new White House policy, Rand Paul of Kentucky, on the subject: "I stand with @realDonaldTrump today as he once again fulfills his promises to stop our endless wars and have a true America First foreign policy." I'm not sure how this new policy constitutes ending a war so much as starting one, but okay moron! Also, as the National Review article notes, that wasn't Mr. Rand Paul's view back in 2015 when ISIS was at the height of its power in Syria. Here's Rand Paul back then, where he argued that the U.S. should defeat ISIS by arming the Kurds and pledging them their own country. So there's clearly a principle at stake here for Mr. Paul is my point, not just rank political opportunism and shameless hypocrisy!

Thanks for keeping this in the spotlight and keeping us posted. I'm still in the "can't think about it or I'll throw up" stage of processing it. It's just too much. If Turkey isn't kicked out of NATO for this, I'm joining the "fuck NATO" camp. Turkey is commiting genocide, right now, against our allies, and we're just sitting there watching it happen. Sanctions are not enough. NATO expulsion is not enough. This requires international action, every major world leader should be speaking out against this, Turkey should become a pariah in the west if they don't backtrack immediately, and the UN should intervene. I suppose the bipartisan outrage does provide some small comfort here, but the Republicans should be rebelling harder against the administration. They should go all out, put a gun to Donny's head and make it clear that if he doesn't backtrack they'll join the impeachment effort. I doubt Pence would approve of this atrocity we're committing in abandoning our allies.

Rand Paul is a vile little worm. What is it about Kentucky that they keep electing such uniquely evil people to the Senate?

Edit: Hate to add to your misery, Jaicee, but Rand Paul's Republican opposite, Lindsey Graham, who publicly denounced Trump's Syria move, was caught in a prank call by Russians pretending to be the Turkish defense minister, saying the opposite of what he stated publicly, and that “I told President Trump that Obama made a huge mistake in relying on the YPG Kurds. Everything I worried about has come true, and now we have to make sure Turkey is protected from this threat in Syria. I’m sympathetic to the YPG problem, and so is the president, quite frankly.” He also says he doesn't want to have sanctions on Turkey. If you listen to the call, it sounds like his motivations are probably based on the desire to sell Turkey weapons, and get a trade agreement between the US and Turkey. He wants to dangle the idea of a free trade agreement as incentive to get Turkey to buy US weapons instead of Russian, on the grounds that if they buy Russian instead of US weapons, it will prevent the possibility of a trade agreement and make sanctions inevitable. Now granted these calls were in late August, so Graham's opinion may have changed somewhat with the invasion, but clearly he is no friend of the Kurds and is willing to stab them in the back for money.

I really wish McCain were still alive. At least he had an ounce of principle. He'd make Graham feel ashamed of the spineless sack of lies he's become.

Here's the article, with the recordings of the prank calls, if you're interested: https://www.politico.com/news/2019/10/10/lindsey-graham-trump-hoax-call-043991

Stopped reading right here, which meant I still read through the rest of the drivel. What has the Syrian Govt said... or Russia for that matter... you know, the people who were actually welcome guests, regardless of your desires or sense of morality

But seriously. People are condemning Ellen (who was already hypocrisy redefined) for being pals with Bush, which I see as bad (worse than Trump) but not horrific... then you mention McCain as if he was a good person (the only people whose candidacy for replacing Satan are still in the ballot are him, Stalin, the Dulles brothers, Eisenhower, Nixon, Hitler, Reagan, Stalin, Pinochet, Caecescu's wife, Pol Pot and Thatcher). 

If McCain was alive and said anything, I would probably vomit. I am with Rand here and that's why he was elected: you had zero right to be there in the first place. Everything you did, every troop in that quagmire, was an illegal invader and no moral reasons can justify that! 

The issue is that the FSA should be getting a royal shelling by Assadco, since they were also their enemies, whereas the Kurds were apparently on amicable terms, to the point Russia occasionally conducted bombing runs prior to their advances on enemy positions despite not being an actual supporter.