By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close
jason1637 said:
sundin13 said:

Since we are talking about changing laws and implementing new laws, that is kind of a moot point.

Well I don't think the government should keep tabs on what we buy anyway.

What about our cars?

Around the Network
sundin13 said:
jason1637 said:

Well I don't think the government should keep tabs on what we buy anyway.

What about our cars?

Registration plates are bad too imo.

jason1637 said:
sundin13 said:

What about our cars?

Interesting take...

The Mexican government plans on taking legal action against the US over what happened in El Paso. https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/mexico-vows-take-legal-action-against-u-s-wake-deadly-n1039096

sundin13 said:
jason1637 said:

Interesting take...

Indeed, especially from someone who supposedly thinks of himself as a moderate/centrist...

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
sundin13 said:

Interesting take...

Indeed, especially from someone who supposedly thinks of himself as a moderate/centrist...

Well data collection and government surveillance is mostly frowned upon by the majority of Americans. It's nothing out fo the ordinary. I know I do sound like an anarchist sometimes but I understand the need for reasonable government intervention in things like gun control.

SpokenTruth said:

1. National registry and licensing for all guns and gun owners.
2. Register all gun and ammo sales.
3. Private sales must be notarized and registered.
4. Must pass psych evaluation and safety training every 3 years.
5. Owners must carry Gun Owners Insurance.
6. Cannot own more than 4 guns without a "collectors" license.
7. If you have kids under 18 living in the house, guns must be locked and/or unloaded.
8. National background check prior to any gun or ammo purchase.
9. Criminal history negates license.
10. Illegal gun/ammo sale/ownership results in felony charges with harsh consequences.
11. Circumvention of these results in felony charges with harsh consequences.
12. No Questions Asked gun relinquishment policy.

I'd add a safe and secure place to store the guns and their ammo if they are not for collection's sake. Collection weapons on permanent display must be unloaded and rendered impossible to reload.

This is a requirement in many countries to make sure nobody else than the owner uses the weapons, be it children who don't know what a real weapon is or thieves trying to steal the weapons or whoever else that might be interested into getting or using those weapons. Often, this is a literal safe or gun vault. 

jason1637 said:
HylianSwordsman said:

Well data collection and government surveillance is mostly frowned upon by the majority of Americans. It's nothing out fo the ordinary. I know I do sound like an anarchist sometimes but I understand the need for reasonable government intervention in things like gun control.

I mean I don't like having to get inspections, but license plates and getting your vehicle registered are pretty basic stuff, and do a LOT to help with law enforcement. Even when it isn't directly involving your vehicle, tons of crimes are stopped because someone got the criminal's license plate number. Finding new ways to enforce laws and stop crime is a lot harder than it sounds, so when something is as demonstratively helpful as license plates and vehicle registries is proven to work, I see no reason to get rid of it and every reason to put up with the minor inconvenience it is to me.

This isn't to say that data collection and government surveillance aren't huge issues right now, but data collection is a big problem in both the public and private sectors and as for government surveillance, I'm more worried about the NSA than I am about my car's license plates.

HylianSwordsman said:
jason1637 said:

I mean I don't like having to get inspections, but license plates and getting your vehicle registered are pretty basic stuff, and do a LOT to help with law enforcement. Even when it isn't directly involving your vehicle, tons of crimes are stopped because someone got the criminal's license plate number. Finding new ways to enforce laws and stop crime is a lot harder than it sounds, so when something is as demonstratively helpful as license plates and vehicle registries is proven to work, I see no reason to get rid of it and every reason to put up with the minor inconvenience it is to me.

This isn't to say that data collection and government surveillance aren't huge issues right now, but data collection is a big problem in both the public and private sectors and as for government surveillance, I'm more worried about the NSA than I am about my car's license plates.

Well there are camera pretty much on every street so if someone ran someone over or was speeding they can always just trace ti back. 

SpokenTruth said:
jason1637 said:

I think all the ones I didnt cross over would work well.

1. That's illegal.

4. If it's a free evaluation sure but if not then it's a bad idea because it just puts a burden on poor gun owners.

6. There's no need for this.

9. Depends on the crime. Criminals should not be treated like 2nd class citizens because of their past mistakes. They've served their time and should be allowed to fully integrate and that includes owning a gun if they want.

10/11. If someone illegally owns a guns or sold one but have shown no intention to harm someone or has not harmed someone with it they should be punished but to a lesser extent.

12. If the authorities are taking away a private belonging the person should be able to fight/question it. And this would probably be illegal and possibly unconstitutional.

1. Not illegal.

4. Yes.  Free evaluation.

6. It reduces the volume of guns that could be stolen and/or sold on the black market.

9. The crime would have to be relevant or violent.  Perhaps a time period post release before owning a gun.  Keep in mind that felons in Florida cannot vote after release. It requires a direct decree from the governor to restore voting rights.  If that right isn't automatically restored, gun ownership rights shouldn't be automatically restored.

10/11. A minor violation wouldn't function as a deterrent for illegal ownership.

12. I'm not talking about taking guns away.  I'm talking about buy-back programs and such.  You turn in a gun, no questions on how you obtained it, if it's legal/illegal, just relinquished.

1. You can have people register gun but it's illegal to trace a gun to their owner through registration. If gun laws are changed this can always be amended like sundin 13 pointed out.

2. Oh if it's free then I have no problem with it.

6.Well if a gun gets stolen like any other piece of property it can be reported and will probably be found. For selling guns on the black market a background check should eb able to prevent this.

9.Wasn't there an amendment passed during the midterms that gave voting rights to felons in Florida? Anyway I still hold firm to the belief that if you've served your time you should be treated like you were before you were arrested. That would include voting rights, gun rights etc.

10/11. Like it would be illegal to sell and own illegal guns but if you have these guns and have shown no intent to harm others with them you should still be punished but to a lesser degree.

12. Oh okay that's reasonable.