By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sekiro: Shadow die twice, holds strong at 90 on Opencritic based on 111 reviewers. GotY?

Tagged games:

Sekerio, Your Game of the year?

Yes. 11 21.57%

No. 21 41.18%

Maybe, unsure just yet. 12 23.53%

/indifferent/not played/other in comments. 7 13.73%

Total:51

Just got my ninth prayer necklace putting me at 19 vitality. I'm supposed to be working right now

Around the Network

Just fucking beat lord isshin the sword saint with 8 gourds left and barely got touched.

It was a hard as christ fight and took probably 20 tries at least, maybe 90 minutes or more. But the time I won I crushed and it was over in just a few minutes.

Looks like I'm getting the return ending.

Edit: Sorry didn't mean to make three posts in a row. Got really hyped and it doesn't look like I can combine them manually.

Edit #2: Also, I felt I fully explored everything. I even went back to the outskirts to re-explore it. It rounded perfectly to 19 vitality so I dunno where four more beads would be. Maybe it has to do with the ending I got. Because I never fought Owl again.

John2290 said:
Machiavellian said:

Do you want any hints to the Owl2 fight.  It will still be hard but at least you will have something you can improve on to get pass him.

The technique I saw with Owl2 is almost the same as the one for Owl1.  You let him swing his blade which he will do that one chop and circle around him and hit him from the back.  Always close the distance between you and Owl so that when he throws the firecracker you can run behind him and hit him from the back.  You are basically running at him all the time keeping close and running to this back when he makes his attack.  You are basically always running and actually not doing a lot of deflection and keeping close and aggressive.  If I can find the video I will post it.

Around the Network
John2290 said:
Machiavellian said:

The technique I saw with Owl2 is almost the same as the one for Owl1.  You let him swing his blade which he will do that one chop and circle around him and hit him from the back.  Always close the distance between you and Owl so that when he throws the firecracker you can run behind him and hit him from the back.  You are basically running at him all the time keeping close and running to this back when he makes his attack.  You are basically always running and actually not doing a lot of deflection and keeping close and aggressive.  If I can find the video I will post it.

That is how I beat him the first time, swinging around I'm his back with an I frame and often am able to do it in phase one of this fight but in phase two all of that goes out the window, it only adds one more attack and the disappearing shit but it's that disappearing act that makes these tactics impossible as you can see in my video, he I frames himself so you are forced to engage in deflect combat with the odd chance of getting an I frame in if you let him close the distance. It is so brutal.

I watched the video, the only thing I saw that was different from the guy I watch beat him every time was that you wasn't as aggressive.  In his second form you must always close the distance to get him to do the one hit shot.  When he disappear is only when you step away until he appears before closing again.  Its still tough but should cut down on some of his multi attacks.

John2290 said:
Machiavellian said:

That is how I beat him the first time, swinging around I'm his back with an I frame and often am able to do it in phase one of this fight but in phase two all of that goes out the window, it only adds one more attack and the disappearing shit but it's that disappearing act that makes these tactics impossible as you can see in my video, he I frames himself so you are forced to engage in deflect combat with the odd chance of getting an I frame in if you let him close the distance. It is so brutal.

check out this vidoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WF7qLzJBoE

Go to 39:22 in the video.  Even though this is first Owl, its the same technique.  It puts Owl into that spin cycle where he does the same thing alot and you only have to deal with different variations a lot fewer.  I hope to find the Owl2 video if I can.

Machiavellian said:
John2290 said:

check out this vidoe

Go to 39:22 in the video.  Even though this is first Owl, its the same technique.  It puts Owl into that spin cycle where he does the same thing alot and you only have to deal with different variations a lot fewer.  I hope to find the Owl2 video if I can.

Choreographed the whole fight. Lots of consumables to risk but if you can get it to work it looks fairly doable.

RaptorChrist said:
Machiavellian said:

check out this vidoe

Choreographed the whole fight. Lots of consumables to risk but if you can get it to work it looks fairly doable.

Yeah, its a speedrun so he is taking the most short cuts you can but you can only shortcut Owl so much which is basically trying to get extra chip damage.  The technique is sound and from what I have seen, being super aggressive and using your Evade works great for a lot of the bosses.

RaptorChrist said:
Angelus said:
I actually thought the Demon of Hatred was one of the easier bosses in the game. Pretty slow, and very telegraphed attacks...all easy to dodge. If you need a little something extra, use divine confetti, and the malcontent upgraded whistle (this will stun him for a while).

Interesting, I had no idea confetti would buff attacks for this fight. I didn't use prosthetic tools much for the fight, but based on the amount of damage he dealt I wouldn't put him on my personal list of easiest bosses.

What I am finding is that these late game bosses tend to play out much differently in terms of pacing, as now I have 10 healing sips, so I can make a lot of mistakes and still win.

I think I find this boss particularly easy because it's very Souls like in it's design, and I've had years of practice dealing with those.