By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Report- Star Wars film by GoT producers begins filming later this year, set in the Old Republic era

Interesting. I've never really given GOT a chance, mostly because when it come to passive entertainment I'm not into "dungeons and dragons shit". The few eps I did see were of high quality though, and a change at the creative helm, as well as the setting could be a huge positive for Star Wars. Worth a shot. As it is, I have little doubt I won't be watching Episode IX.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

To be fair, GoT's greatest strengths and moments come straight from Martin's books. When D&D took over, like in season 7, it became more of your generic turn-your-brain-off fantasy epic. Do we really need more "Solo"-like movies in the Star Wars universe?

shikamaru317 said:

Excellent news for sure, if true, and Star Wars News Net has a history of being reliable with leaks. The GoT producers/writers are perfect for exploring the Old Republic era. It is also really nice to hear that Disney wants to open up the universe a bit more with a more mature take on Star Wars. Hope we are actually looking at an R rated Star Wars movie here, as Disney is becoming more an more open to allowing R rated movies in recent years, with Disney saying they were open to future R rated Deadpool movies, and rumors of an R rated Blade movie by Disney.

Wow...you sure like R Rated movies.  Haha.  Don't get your hopes up for a similar take on Star Wars.  Most of the R elements in Game of Thrones are because that's the way George R. Martin wrote them. But who knows, maybe you'll get your wish.  If it serves the plot I might be okay with that decision, but if it's just for shock value I'd rather they stay PG-13. 

Done with Star Wars until something changes
I want people who make Star Wars to realize the Star Wars-galaxy is not our galaxy

melbye said:
Done with Star Wars until something changes
I want people who make Star Wars to realize the Star Wars-galaxy is not our galaxy

Rebellion vs Empire was always an analogue for our galaxy.  That's the way stories work.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
To be fair, GoT's greatest strengths and moments come straight from Martin's books. When D&D took over, like in season 7, it became more of your generic turn-your-brain-off fantasy epic. 

This. The GoT producers are actually pretty bad, and got famous only thanks to the great source material. Everything they did themselves (more and more stuff after season 4) has been sub-par and sometimes even embarrassing (so much plot holes in the last seasons...).

Give them something great already written and ask them to follow it exactly, and they will do something good. If you tell them to create something, you can expect something pretty bad. 

I'm a big fan of GoT and Star Wars. Heavily disliked episode VIII and skipped Solo. My favorite Star Wars story is the Darth Bane trilogy. If this is anywhere near the same tone or gets us to a point where we can get a Darth Bane adaptation, I'm hyped for it.

If you have the slightest interest in Star Wars and haven't read Darth Bane, give it a shot! There are 3 books and they're all amazing.

Faelco said:
haxxiy said:
To be fair, GoT's greatest strengths and moments come straight from Martin's books. When D&D took over, like in season 7, it became more of your generic turn-your-brain-off fantasy epic. 

This. The GoT producers are actually pretty bad, and got famous only thanks to the great source material. Everything they did themselves (more and more stuff after season 4) has been sub-par and sometimes even embarrassing (so much plot holes in the last seasons...).

Give them something great already written and ask them to follow it exactly, and they will do something good. If you tell them to create something, you can expect something pretty bad. 

Maybe they should make of film version of KoToR then.

It doesn't matter who's making it or the quality of it. Star wars fans will pull the usual crap of shitting all over it and acting like it's the worst thing ever to happen to the franchise.

pikashoe said:
It doesn't matter who's making it or the quality of it. Star wars fans will pull the usual crap of shitting all over it and acting like it's the worst thing ever to happen to the franchise.

Because Star Wars is arguably one of the biggest franchises of all time, there are multitudes of fandoms.  These disparate groups all fall under the heading "Star Wars Fans" but for most of these fans their love of Star Wars might be the only thing they have in common.  So while your statement is true, it's also to be expected.  The question is, which faction of the fandom will be up in arms.