By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega to be bought out?

Sega Sammy Holdings? Hard to see any of the Big Three buying into a gambling company. Sony could probably do it, given the scope of their products. Nintendo used to be tied to gambling but I don't know if they'd want that now.

Around the Network

As long as I can keep playing Total War games on PC, I don't particularly care who owns SEGA. Though I'd be angry if someone bought them and launched Sonic Adventures 3 and it wasn't released on Nintendo devices.

Please no more buyouts. Leave 3rd parties develop for all, a market with only 1st party games is not healthy at all.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Xxain said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

While that's true, investors don't seem to have the same mindset. At least when you look at the Stock market, Sega is barely worth more than it did in 2008 (1000 Yen per share back then, now 1200... after a 300 Yen drop early February) and was worth much more in 2006-2007 (4500 Yen per share). Probably don't "monetize" enough for the shareholders.

Its because SEGA doesnt have a powerful IP. To investers, a company is a combination of IP's. The more powerful IP's a company owns the higher their value.

Yeah, biggest that they have by now next to Sonic is probably Phantasy Star Online.

Actually, I was quite happy to see many older IP in the survey yesterday, from the looks it seemed to me they want to know what old IP was worth to Wise from their Gwave. Wish Nintendo would do so too, sometimes.

Darwinianevolution said: 
Please no more buyouts. Leave 3rd parties develop for all, a market with only 1st party games is not healthy at all.

Imagine them buying EA or Activision Blizzard. I wouldn't mind (actually, goodbye and good riddance if that would happen!), but I'm certain I'd be part of the minority.

However, those Publishers sit on so many unused IP, I think nobody would mind if they buy such an IP and release a game in a forgotten or disused series.

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 19 March 2019

Sega makes great games and has a lot of IP that hasn't been touched in a while.  Their business side has always been what has been holding them back IMO.  They might actually benefit from getting bought out.

Although, I think it might be smarter for a company like Google to try to develop a second party relationship with them.  Don't buy them out, but still give them resources to fund a lot of projects on whatever Google's console/streaming service is.  If the games work out, then both companies benefit.  If the games don't work out so well then Google just saved themself a lot of money.  It's probably a better way to go considering Sega's size.

Around the Network

Honestly, the only thing SEGA has really going for them that makes them worth purchasing is Atlus.

Xxain said:

No.

Its like your living in 2008. SEGA has seen a massive, consistent increase in game quality over the last 5 years or so. I just posted an article not so long ago where SEGA was second place for highest rated games for 2018 on metacritic. They have also already began resurrecting old IP's.Only thing bad about SEGA right now is Sonic.

Sega only got beat by Capcom. But that's just because Metacritic counts re-releases, DLC, and versions of the same game on different consoles as "new releases".

twintail said:

These dev buyout threads are getting ridiculous now

Please send more pizza...no, really.

Here's Sega's address from the survey:

SEGA

6400 Oak Cyn Ste 100

Irvine, CA 92618-5204

https://www.google.com/maps/place/SEGA+of+America/@33.676346,-117.7695039,18.5z/data=!4m13!1m7!3m6!1s0x80dcdd1161a539db:0xf8a6251c970a50c7!2s6400+Oak+Canyon+%23100,+Irvine,+CA+92618!3b1!8m2!3d33.676648!4d-117.7685558!3m4!1s0x80dcdd51b55701a1:0x81616ed6d2b2d1b9!8m2!3d33.676648!4d-117.7685558?hl=en

And I'd love some more Altered Beast, please.

Sega is fairly invested in PC gaming, so I'd say that of any current major gaming companies, only Microsoft and Google might be interested. However, I don't think many of Sega's PC games are mainstream enough for Google to be interested, so that leaves Microsoft. I'm not holding my breath though... Although on a second thought, I wasn't with Obsidian either.