By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Never feel badly about sharing your Netflix

I dont know why they are paying zero in taxes but remember that profit and taxabke profit are different things. For example if you jave several years of losses, once you make a profit you dont pay taxes right away. You can compensate you profits with past losses so, after several years having huge losses, you dont have the government taking your cash away right atbthe first time you have a profit. Which is a very reasonable rule.
Dont know if this is the case, but just saying.

Around the Network
Peh said:
Ganoncrotch said:

The first chunk of this reply is about Netflix working to stop people repeatedly using free trials rather than paying for the service.... what relevance does this have to the thread or my post. Or did you just google the words "netflix" and "threat" and pasted in parts out of context of what they're actually about. Terrible.

"However, as Netflix has expanded into emerging global markets, the risk of fraud has also increased. Isolated fraudsters as well as organized criminal networks seek to capitalize on free trials, opening new accounts with stolen identities and providing false or stolen payment information. Netflix needed a global, holistic response to this growing fraud trend, while maintaining its trusted reputation and reducing friction for legitimate customers."

Just putting it out there that I wasted time clicking one link by you that was unrelated, I'm not making the same mistake twice.

I shall have fun sharing my account under the knowledge that Netflix have a firm working to stop people from abusing their one month free trial offers....

>.<

Connecting the dots doesn't seem to be your strength.

The first link should make you aware that Netflix is using tools for collecting device specific data and verify them. That is mainly used against fraudst on free trials. The second link, which even says in it's URL is about stopping account sharing. But yeah, turning a blind eye is much easier.

Connect dots all you want until you've drawn a tin foil hat to wear, if you search for it you'll find clickbait rubbish that will draw you in for a read and amounts to nothing, want proof of that, here's an article from 2017 on that same DS site you linked.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a16082/netflix-password-sharing-crime/

Prison time for sharing passwords! I hope all those people in 2017 didn't have too rough a time in Jail.

I'm not saying that at no point will they try to clamp down on doing it if it was possible, but at a time when they are getting more and more competition from other groups I can't imagine they're going to jump on a the PR grenade that is cutting off a lot of the way some users enjoy the service.

Even if they were to attempt to stop the practice down the line.... why not make use of the ability to do so until that point anyway?

This is my last reply on the topic to yourself though! Don't imagine this is the first time you've shared your opinion on this and really don't see it working towards being the last, you believe what you believe and yeah that's not gonna change here so more posts aren't going to do much other than page views for VGChartz!

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Peh said:
Don't.
First: Netflix will cancel your contract, which is not a real issue in itself.
Second: You will have to pay for the damage you did by sharing your account and could get sued. But there is yet no case known where people actually got sued. So, it's more likely that nothing will happen in this case.

I personally don't recommend it for whatever reason, but it's your life...

Yeah, chances of anything like this happening are about as good as getting arrested for jaywalking.

I've shared, because I have 4 screens simultaneous viewing in ultra HD (how the heck am I going to use 4 screens at the same time if the account isn't shared, btw) and am paying the premium price. Never had an issue, not even a cease and desist letter (have gotten it for going to websites that stream free hollywood movies so I know they aren't a myth).

You're living in a misplaced fear.

EnricoPallazzo said:
I dont know why they are paying zero in taxes but remember that profit and taxabke profit are different things. For example if you jave several years of losses, once you make a profit you dont pay taxes right away. You can compensate you profits with past losses so, after several years having huge losses, you dont have the government taking your cash away right atbthe first time you have a profit. Which is a very reasonable rule.
Dont know if this is the case, but just saying.

Or they can just do what a lot of companies do and basically donate a bit to charity which is tax deductible so they get PR and they get slightly more control over the money they have to pay out regardless. Heck some of the shows that they produce might technically count as tax write offs if they're documentaries which include charity work or are used to advertise charities.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Oh my gosh, because I told some to be aware of violating their own contract and telling them that YET they are no known cases of people been sued or anything like that they start acting like they've burst a testicle. WOW. I can see that you guys FEEL entitled for violating your contracts. As I said, that's entirely up to you, but the way you justify and defend your act is far more than ridiculous. XD

Ganoncrotch said:
Peh said:

>.<

Connecting the dots doesn't seem to be your strength.

The first link should make you aware that Netflix is using tools for collecting device specific data and verify them. That is mainly used against fraudst on free trials. The second link, which even says in it's URL is about stopping account sharing. But yeah, turning a blind eye is much easier.

Connect dots all you want until you've drawn a tin foil hat to wear, if you search for it you'll find clickbait rubbish that will draw you in for a read and amounts to nothing, want proof of that, here's an article from 2017 on that same DS site you linked.

https://www.esquire.com/uk/culture/a16082/netflix-password-sharing-crime/

Prison time for sharing passwords! I hope all those people in 2017 didn't have too rough a time in Jail.

I'm not saying that at no point will they try to clamp down on doing it if it was possible, but at a time when they are getting more and more competition from other groups I can't imagine they're going to jump on a the PR grenade that is cutting off a lot of the way some users enjoy the service.

Even if they were to attempt to stop the practice down the line.... why not make use of the ability to do so until that point anyway?

This is my last reply on the topic to yourself though! Don't imagine this is the first time you've shared your opinion on this and really don't see it working towards being the last, you believe what you believe and yeah that's not gonna change here so more posts aren't going to do much other than page views for VGChartz!

Leave my goddamn tin foil hats alone. I like how they sparkle in the sun. 

That sharing your password with others is against the terms of agreement is hopefully not something that I have to explain to you. Going to jail is far fetched, though.  

You are allowed to stream on 4 devices at the same time in the same household with the premium option. That account sharing is meant for family members. Netflix itself says so. Not me. That option costs 14 € for one household. You share it with 3 others. Netflix potential loss of 42€ per account due to sharing. Do the math for several million people doing so. As it is stated in the link from January this year, the amount of people sharing with different households seems to big, thus they will now take measures. What those measures will be are unknown as of now. 

danasider said:
Peh said:
Don't.
First: Netflix will cancel your contract, which is not a real issue in itself.
Second: You will have to pay for the damage you did by sharing your account and could get sued. But there is yet no case known where people actually got sued. So, it's more likely that nothing will happen in this case.

I personally don't recommend it for whatever reason, but it's your life...

Yeah, chances of anything like this happening are about as good as getting arrested for jaywalking.

I've shared, because I have 4 screens simultaneous viewing in ultra HD (how the heck am I going to use 4 screens at the same time if the account isn't shared, btw) and am paying the premium price. Never had an issue, not even a cease and desist letter (have gotten it for going to websites that stream free hollywood movies so I know they aren't a myth).

I've already explained what this is about. Do yourself a favor and read through the posts. 

This is not about fear lol

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network

I use Netflix on like 10,000 different devices. My phones and tablets, my several game consoles, my Dish Network receivers for my dumb TVs, 4K for my smart TV, sometimes I watch at someone else's home, and my daughter has her own profile.

I WISH Netflix would accuse me of not being me. I'd drop their service so fast.

Peh said:

Oh my gosh, because I told some to be aware of violating their own contract and telling them that YET they are no known cases of people been sued or anything like that they start acting like they've burst a testicle. WOW. I can see that you guys FEEL entitled for violating your contracts. As I said, that's entirely up to you, but the way you justify and defend your act is far more than ridiculous. XD

Yeah ,we each got our contract and to make the choice for violation is up those that feel entitled to it but those same people should ofcourse not be too upset when they have their account blocked or something.

I could name some personal reasons on why i would do it but when i buy a product and sign for the rules attached to it then i should hold myself to them,but im conflicted cause rules and laws are not always on the moral highground themselves and when a rule is not being obeyed en masse it can speak volumes about its fairness?

So i agree and disagree lol.

danasider said:

I've already explained what this is about. Do yourself a favor and read through the posts. 

I read what you have to say, but explain someone using a cell phone and someone else using a smart tv and someone else using a laptop (in a Starbucks). There's no way Netflix can tell these people are not part of the same household.

It may not be fear (sounds like it), but all your responses seems to indicate an irrational expectation of Netflix somehow knowing these things all belong (or don't belong) to one household either through IP addresses or whatever, when the mobile space basically makes this impossible for them to tell. Extreme cases are easier, sure. And even then if I go to Europe, which I will be this may, and use a new phone, does that mean I shouldn't be able to connect to my own service Netflix is gouging me for since they raise the price every other year? And then that service is shut off for a potential housemate back home? This is why so many people share accounts. It's pretty damn hard for Netflix to tell.

If it's the high moral ground of violating a contract, I don't feel sorry for a corporate entity that makes millions upon millions of dollars in profit, doesn't pay taxes on it, and still manages to raise the price because according to them content is getting so expensive. Okay, if it is, then why are they making more PROFIT (not just money, but money after operating costs) then ever? Corporate greed and pleasing stock holders by maximizing profits in spite of consumer satisfaction.

Gimme a break.

danasider said:

1. I read what you have to say, but explain someone using a cell phone and someone else using a smart tv and someone else using a laptop (in a Starbucks). There's no way Netflix can tell these people are not part of the same household.

2. may not be fear (sounds like it), but all your responses seems to indicate an irrational expectation of Netflix somehow knowing these things all belong (or don't belong) to one household either through IP addresses or whatever, when the mobile space basically makes this impossible for them to tell. Extreme cases are easier, sure. And even then if I go to Europe, which I will be this may, and use a new phone, does that mean I shouldn't be able to connect to my own service Netflix is gouging me for since they raise the price every other year? And then that service is shut off for a potential housemate back home? This is why so many people share accounts. It's pretty damn hard for Netflix to tell.

3. it's the high moral ground of violating a contract, I don't feel sorry for a corporate entity that makes millions upon millions of dollars in profit, doesn't pay taxes on it, and still manages to raise the price because according to them content is getting so expensive. Okay, if it is, then why are they making more PROFIT (not just money, but money after operating costs) then ever? Corporate greed and pleasing stock holders by maximizing profits in spite of consumer satisfaction.

Gimme a break.

1. I've already adressed this. Check your activity logs and tell me how Netflix knows the used device. They also collect hardware imformation for fraud purposes. Not difficult to log your account activity further. From the article from january this year it's not about if Netflix will or won't do something about account sharing, it's about when and how. 

2. Part of answer is on number 1 and this is also about excessive usage.

3. That's the part where I say, that's entirely up to you. Netflix is owned by share holders, and it's all about money. If there is a chance of getting more money, they will go for it.

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

a

1. I've already adressed this. Check your activity logs and tell me how Netflix knows the used device. They also collect hardware imformation for fraud purposes. Not difficult to log your account activity further. From the article from january this year it's not about if Netflix will or won't do something about account sharing, it's about when and how. 

2. Part of answer is on number 1 and this is also about excessive usage.

3. That's the part where I say, that's entirely up to you. Netflix is owned by share holders, and it's all about money. If there is a chance of getting more money, they will go for it.

1. You don't seem to understand. I understand how Netflix can keep track of devices on a technical level. I am saying that because they offer a service, it is difficult for them to actually enforce anything.

If I wanted to log in from a library or anywhere, I should be able to and can use my service. That won't won't prevent people from my household from using said service. Hence why if someone somewhere else uses my service, how is Netflix going to know I am not away from home using the service I subscribe to on the road while my folks use it at home?

They can't.

2. There is no limit to usage in Netflix in terms of streaming. Only screens. The only way I would be flagged for possibly violating my contract if I consistently have more than 4 screens at a time using the service.

That's it. So if I give my password to 3 friends/family members and tell them to not use on more than one screen, I'm good. It's not like I know a crazy amount of people across the world (proximity does matter, but I think most sharers are similar to me in that they are sharing with people they know and not people across the globe).

And even when I only had the 1 screen option, and someone would log in, they couldn't log in, because Netflix would notify them too many screens are being used. I upgraded because this happened to me. Didn't get banned or anything.

Netflix has 139 million subscribers and counting. How many millions of those do you think share?

Netflix isn't in the business of losing subscriptions, no matter what article you read about them getting down on subscribers who share. It's fiction.