By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Never feel badly about sharing your Netflix

Peh said:
setsunatenshi said:

Not really, you can use netflix on your mobile through a 4g connection for example. You may be traveling abroad, etc. Definitely not using the same IP address in either case.

Netflix is logging your whole activity. Meaning IP-address / device and the time of course. I don't know the exact data which Netflix is aquiring from your device, but it's not difficult to get your hardware ID you are using when logging in with your mobile device. So, while your IP-address is changing, your hardware ID stays the same. Thus, they are aware of you being the user of that mobile device. 

My IP-address changes each 24 hours, or when I reconnect to my provider. But try to explain two or more Smart TV's which are actually stationary with each having a different IP-address streaming Netflix at the same time. All that stuff is being logged. You can also verify this on your own for the last 60 days.

Just want to point out that MAC address information is not shared over an HTTPS connection. It's possible if you download their Netflix app that they can get access to this data, but even so, that's sort of irrelevant, as that doesn't give away any information about where the device is located. Even moreso than that, Netflix is a company, they aren't a government, so they don't have ISP records to look through or anything more than you or I do.

But if you think about it logically, why would a company like Netflix go through all that trouble when the power they *do* have allows them to just ban these accounts. I would bet that they have automated alerts for when accounts get unusual activity, and the obvious solution to me would be to just ban those accounts before it got out of hand. You think they would try and identify a handful of individuals (who may not have much money anyways given their use of a stolen Netflix account) and take them to court for a negligible amount of money.

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
Peh said:

I am not the one going on the internet and telling others to violate their contract without mentioning the possible issues that would/could come with it.

In the end, it's up to you. I am not telling you what to do with your life, I am just making you aware of what could happen.

This forum is visited by people around the world. This isn't only about, you know, the US.

But don't mind me and my "inane" argument

Wasn't it though? As if sharing your Netflix account is such an atrocity that you'd even need to preface it with "it's your life, etcetera, etcetera". Here, take your pitchfork and get back in there! It's us or them! :(

What am I saying...

It's not your life? Is someone else telling you what to do with it? 

" Here, take your pitchfork and get back in there! It's us or them! :("

Where am I telling you that? 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Peh said:
RaptorChrist said:

Wasn't it though? As if sharing your Netflix account is such an atrocity that you'd even need to preface it with "it's your life, etcetera, etcetera". Here, take your pitchfork and get back in there! It's us or them! :(

What am I saying...

It's not your life? Is someone else telling you what to do with it? 

" Here, take your pitchfork and get back in there! It's us or them! :("

Where am I telling you that? 

I'm telling you that. I want you to get back on the good side.

Any and every tax corporations pay are rolled back to customers. So they end up paying 0 in taxes isn't as big of an issue as made of. The biggest issue is how much everyone else pays in taxes.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

setsunatenshi said:
Peh said:

Netflix is logging your whole activity. Meaning IP-address / device and the time of course. I don't know the exact data which Netflix is aquiring from your device, but it's not difficult to get your hardware ID you are using when logging in with your mobile device. So, while your IP-address is changing, your hardware ID stays the same. Thus, they are aware of you being the user of that mobile device. 

My IP-address changes each 24 hours, or when I reconnect to my provider. But try to explain two or more Smart TV's which are actually stationary with each having a different IP-address streaming Netflix at the same time. All that stuff is being logged. You can also verify this on your own for the last 60 days.

It's irrelevant what is being or not logged. You mentioned the same IP address being in use and that's not at all the case.

Besides if I use a new tv, ps4, phone, etc every single day with my account, Netflix is doing nothing about it. That's why they sell the plans with limit of screens using the account at the same time.

Meaning, I don't need to explain anything to Netflix on my usage lol

If it would be irrelevant what is being logged then you could stream on countless devices at the same time. 

"You mentioned the same IP address being in use and that's not at all the case."

did you even read the post you've quoted? I've elaborated and corrected myself on the IP-address part. 

"Besides if I use a new tv, ps4, phone, etc every single day with my account, Netflix is doing nothing about it. That's why they sell the plans with limit of screens using the account at the same time."

You don't quite understand on how that works. Depending on the option you pay on Netflix, it enables you on how many devices you can stream at the same time, it doesn't matter on how many devices you have Netflix installed. 

"Meaning, I don't need to explain anything to Netflix on my usage lol"

I believe you don't get what I am talking about. 

Intel Core i7 8700K | 32 GB DDR 4 PC 3200 | ROG STRIX Z370-F Gaming | RTX 3090 FE| Crappy Monitor| HTC Vive Pro :3

Around the Network
RaptorChrist said:
Peh said:

Just want to point out that MAC address information is not shared over an HTTPS connection. It's possible if you download their Netflix app that they can get access to this data, but even so, that's sort of irrelevant, as that doesn't give away any information about where the device is located. Even moreso than that, Netflix is a company, they aren't a government, so they don't have ISP records to look through or anything more than you or I do.

But if you think about it logically, why would a company like Netflix go through all that trouble when the power they *do* have allows them to just ban these accounts. I would bet that they have automated alerts for when accounts get unusual activity, and the obvious solution to me would be to just ban those accounts before it got out of hand. You think they would try and identify a handful of individuals (who may not have much money anyways given their use of a stolen Netflix account) and take them to court for a negligible amount of money.

Like I said, I don't know what information / data is being send to Netflix. I can see that they know on what kind of device you are logged in. When I check my Netflix app it shows me all the hardware information of my device, like OS, Build, model and SN. This info could be send to Netflix to determine your device. That data alone doesn't give away any information where it is located which is quite obvious, but that's why you also log the IP address used with the device. Now I know what device and where. But what about the user? How does someone knows if the user is using the IP or has used in the past?

This is quite easy. Especially in the US, since private data is a myth.

So, that's how it will go:

Netflix logs the activity of their users. They plan to use a tool to track users activity. The tool finds a user which is streaming on 4 different device ( Smart TV) with each Device having a different IP address. 

Netflix will now collect all the logs for a specific timeframe and verify the issue on the entire time until it gets excessive enough to warrant legal actions. That could be done by a tool automatically.

Now, how to determine the IP addresses of the users, since you said it's not a government? In germany, every lawyer is  capable of asking the ISP for the private data of IP addresses during a specific time. Due to our private data policy, they have to be quick. 

In the US even a detectice can get that information. So, Netflix will get a lawyer who acquires the necessary information and all of this will be used as evidence against you.

They will ban your account, but also ask you to pay for the damage done including lawyer costs and so on. Netflix gets money and laywer will also be happy with more money.

And if you saw the links I've posted they already plan on using a tool to go against account sharing. And they reason for all this? Money of course. 

In germany, laywers specialized in sending thousand of warnings to people who got or didn't got caught by copyright infringment. They have to pay 800-1100€ if they don't want to get sued. As evidence they'll list ip address and time. They got your private data from the ISP.

They made a business out of it. 

All I want to say is be aware of what you are doing and if the terms of agreement support it. You never know what could happen.

Ka-pi96 said:
I mean, you're probably talking about taxes paid to the US government there so considering like 80% of it would go to the military anyway... I'm glad they never paid any taxes!

Probably more like 15% but that's really close.  

HEY I just want to say thank you for all the people that hook up your fam and your neighborhood for years!!! #YourAHero

Last edited by deskpro2k3 - on 19 March 2019

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
deskpro2k3 said:

That's right folks, don't feel bad, share your Netflix account with your entire neighborhood because according to ITEP, Labor 411, and Snopes, Netflix made $845 million in profits and paid $0 In taxes.

Now this isn't something new, corporations like General Electric paid $0 in taxes under the Obama era. Now conservatives fixed it for the corporations even more. The latest tax cut from 35% to 21% made it a heck of a lot easier for major corporations to end up paying no taxes because their loopholes weren't removed or cut. They had to shelter much less money than before. It makes perfect sense that the new tax laws made it easy for this to happen.

So go ahead, share your Netflix, dim the lights, put on some musk, light a candle.. let'em watch!

Don't worry, their 5,500+ employees all paid income tax, social security, and medicare. Of course, Netflix paid nothing in income tax, which means that the tax that would have been paid was deducted on other expenses like previous debts, interest on debts, and non-income taxes (property tax, etc).

I don't really understand the point of the post, because anyone with a brain (person or corporation) is hopefully taking advantage of all tax deductions in the system. I do and they'd be stupid not to. Changing tax code and what exemptions can be taken would require economists and CPAs in Congress though, and that's not going to happen.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Peh said:
setsunatenshi said:

Not really, you can use netflix on your mobile through a 4g connection for example. You may be traveling abroad, etc. Definitely not using the same IP address in either case.

This post should have ended at the bolded.

You are talking absolute tin foil hat levels of "well you could do X and Y so maybe they are doing it" Like I said, the post and your whole thoughts in this thread are based on a small amount of networking/PC hardware knowledge and the sort of paranoia you find in a VPN commercial.

As for the OP and Netflix sharing, aye, I've got a 4 screen 4k account and 4 different places are logged in with that, had it for about 2 years with the current group of people and really it's no issue, but of course if you have basic netflix account you can just have it on a single screen, you need the higher tiers to allow multiple viewers at once.

As for doing it because of how much Tax they pay.... what does that have to do with me? You think Netflix is the only one that makes use of those loopholes where billions are funneled through? for a laugh you should see how Apple used Ireland's tax loophole to funnel every sale in Europe through their branch in Cork to pay effectively no Tax on it (I think somewhere in the region of 50cent per million euro) I'm not saying Netflix doesn't use loopholes to avoid paying it, but there are bigger fish in the sea avoid paying it and being honest, I'd rather my €15 a month goes to creating new content and shows for me to watch rather than Netflix CEO having a conscious and using that money to fill in a giant hole left by Apple and Co.

This is worth a read, it's good stuff https://fora.ie/apple-eu-ireland-state-aid-2955114-Aug2016/

"the commission said the deal between Apple and Ireland allowed the company to pay a tax rate of only 1% on its European profits in 2003, with that figure sliding to as little as 0.005% by 2014."

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive