Forums - Website Topics - Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Yes 66 53.66%

No 57 46.34%

Total:123
CGI-Quality said:
padib said:

I don't think so CGI. I think my original post was fine.

I personally hope that the political threads continue strong and that the mod team can help improve it and make it flourish, since many people make use of it and participate on it and that's good for the site in general. I wish you good luck

'I don't think so CGI'.

OK?

Hey it's already great that you guys made this thread. I think it was the right way to go and you'll get lots of good feedback.

Around the Network
padib said:
CGI-Quality said:

'I don't think so CGI'.

OK?

Hey it's already great that you guys made this thread. I think it was the right way to go and you'll get lots of good feedback.

Yep. I've always been one for different forms of feedback. 

Personally I have removed politics from my Hot Topics and that has greatly increased my enjoyment of VGC. Of course, it has also led to me seeing fewer active topics, but that is a trade off I'm willing to accept. My biggest problem with that forum and those threads is that it taints my view of some posters and I'd really just rather concern myself with what consoles they like and which games they prefer. Those things are silly and irrelevant and don't matter at all. Politics, on the other hand, is the most important thing going on in the world right now and therefore we all tend to take it far more seriously.

My vote is to remove it from hot topics by default, but that it can be manually added in for those who want it in their feed. Removing the forum altogether would just make those topics end up in General Discussion or if nothing else to spill over into gaming discussions.

TheWPCTraveler said:
Keep it, but make it opt-in to see.

Shouldn't be too hard for that tickbox in the filter for Political Discussion to be off by default. And while we're at it, do that for NSFW Discussion, too.

Yeah, I think this is the way to go - good suggestion.

In general, I would say yes. The goal of a forum should be to facilitate discussion, not hinder it. Politics might be a discussion that people have a tough time detaching themselves from, but ideally that just means the mod team pays closer attention to keep the threads on course and from getting heated or toxic.

Now that being said...I also know from personal experience that no one wants to touch that steaming pile of burning caca with a 9.5" pole if they can help it...me included. Different people have different definitions of what constitutes toxic behavior when it comes to politics, and the mod team is no exception. Everyone has different political opinions, which I wouldn't want to see changed for the world...however that also makes reaching a consensus hard. I can completely empathize with the idea of removing politics from the forum...its really the most objective way to solve the problem from a bipartisan perspective. The moderators are unpaid volunteers, and while they're all here because they care about the community, it should go without saying that dealing with gray area issues will take longer to resolve in general.

I feel the best idea of all is to on-board moderators for the sole purpose of managing political discussion, as someone said earlier in the thread. Whether or not that's practical...I couldn't say...but having individuals with a vested interest in the topic would be a start.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network
Super_Boom said:
In general, I would say yes. The goal of a forum should be to facilitate discussion, not hinder it. Politics might be a discussion that people have a tough time detaching themselves from, but ideally that just means the mod team pays closer attention to keep the threads on course and from getting heated or toxic.

Now that being said...I also know from personal experience that no one wants to touch that steaming pile of burning caca with a 9.5" pole if they can help it...me included. Different people have different definitions of what constitutes toxic behavior when it comes to politics, and the mod team is no exception. Everyone has different political opinions, which I wouldn't want to see changed for the world...however that also makes reaching a consensus hard. I can completely empathize with the idea of removing politics from the forum...its really the most objective way to solve the problem from a bipartisan perspective. The moderators are unpaid volunteers, and while they're all here because they care about the community, it should go without saying that dealing with gray area issues will take longer to resolve in general.

I feel the best idea of all is to on-board moderators for the sole purpose of managing political discussion, as someone said earlier in the thread. Whether or not that's practical...I couldn't say...but having individuals with a vested interest in the topic would be a start.

Was hoping you chimed in. Wasn't left disappointed! Miss you, bud!

Nuke it! This is a gaming forum and the politicals will always be too divisive, especially in this climate atm.

CGI-Quality said:

Was hoping you chimed in. Wasn't left disappointed! Miss you, bud!

Miss you too man! Hope things are well in mod-chat.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Why? Just getting the general board piled with political posts. At least now people can just opt to not see the politics forum.

Obviously from the amount of views these politics threads are very popular here.

This is a business, if ioi cannot make money from this business why would he keep it up? Getting rid of this one area is not going to make or break his business, but it is just one more part of the puzzle.

Really no reason to get rid of it because it hurts no one. Literally, physically and actuality. Just ignore users you don't like and don't subscribe to forums that annoy you.

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

spurgeonryan said:
Why? Just getting the general board piled with political posts. At least now people can just opt to not see the politics forum.

Obviously from the amount of views these politics threads are very popular here.

This is a business, if ioi cannot make money from this business why would he keep it up? Getting rid of this one area is not going to make or break his business, but it is just one more part of the puzzle.

Really no reason to get rid of it because it hurts no one. Literally, physically and actuality. Just ignore users you don't like and don't subscribe to forums that annoy you.

Sense from the man who has probably made the most money for ioi via clicks. You know what's up.

The way I see it the politics thread are a big money spinner for ioi. More money means a longer vgchartz before it dies. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. In fact take the politics section and try make it even more popular. If it's too hard to police hire another mod just for that section. 

This coming from a guy who barely ever creates political threads.