By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Should The Political Discussion Board Remain?

Yes 66 53.66%

No 57 46.34%

Total:123
Mnementh said:

It seems to me like a wild conclusion, that people are driven away by the politics forum. I am here for a long time, longer than you actually, and I have seen many members go over time. There seem to be many different reasons, but toxicity between fanbases seems to be a very driving factor to push people away. Xbox-fans by now are pretty much completely bullied away by the two other fanbases. Only few retro-fans or fans of PC-gaming or mobile gaming holding out here. Pretty much everything is seen as a way to boost the own fanbase and constantly are good news for the other side targeted with posts containing 'but's or other stuff detracting from the positive news. Negative news for the other side will be gleefully posted. That I see as the bigger problem. Because many don't care for politics threads, but for gamign threads, but these often aren't enjoyable as everything enjoyable will surely be tainted by the other side.

VGPolyglot was running a retro gaming thread, but let it die and left the thread and the site altogether because of politics. That could have been the start of a really major thread. A lot of people expressed interest. He requested a permanban. I can't actually be absolutely 100% sure he did it for political reasons, but I'm pretty damn sure based on what he said on his wall. Didn't want to have to name names, but there's one that still pisses me off. Not to put too fine a point on it, but Politics only became a potent force in the decay of the community starting around 2016, and it should be obvious why that's the turning point. Obviously the site had its ups and downs before that and they had much less if anything to do with politics back then. But now is not then, things really feel like they've changed. If we reach a point in the future where politics isn't that divisive, maybe I'd be fine bringing the Politics board back, but if it were up to me I'd remove it for now.

The whole "I'll post negative news for the camps I'm not part of but shit all over good news for those camps" is definitely a problem, but it's been a problem for a long time, and the dynamics of which fanbase gets the most abuse has changed over time. It's Xbox fans now, but it's been Nintendo fans too. I don't think things ever got all that bad for Sony fans, but they weren't always in quite the place they are now and the tides kind of feel like they're changing a little bit to me. I'll definitely agree that gaming threads aren't as enjoyable as they could be because too many of the threads focus on cheerleading for a side, instead of honest, open ended discussion of a subject. It's too tribal, much like everything seems to be these days. Removing politics, one of the most tribalizing effects on our thinking, from the equation could only help the atmosphere in the community overall, make it less combative.

Around the Network
padib said:

Of course I remember you, you're up there for me. I think you were even a mod shortly, weren't you?

You used to have a link and ganon avatar in a circle motion, always having avis with lots of colors, and making posts with a lot of depth of thought.

I was never a mod, no. I'd do it, but I don't think they'd want me. I've gotten better, but I've been pretty opinionated in the past and sometimes a bit too...passionate. My avis have generally been colorful, though I haven't changed it in a long time. My posts usually have had maybe too much depth of thought. They ramble on and people don't want to read them. You were always pretty thoughtful too, always had an interesting perspective.

super_etecoon said:
I really feel bad for the moderation team here at VGC. These people all volunteer their time to help out a website that's about videogames. That's why we're here. And then the real world and all its BS encroaches on that and everyone feels like they should just be able to say whatever they want without repurcussion, as if saying "no offense, but..." is all that is needed to make their statement protected by some ridiculous "free speech" clause that most people don't seem to understand doesn't apply to private websites.

As I've mentioned before, I don't think it would be useful to remove the Politics section as it does provide people with a place to discuss these issues and it keeps the other forums free of such volatile subjects, but the amount of moderation required to keep the Politics forum civil is a fulltime job in and of itself. It's not even the content of many of the posts, but rather the tone and tenor of many of them that make them the most incendiary.

Anyway, the only point of this post is to express my sympathy for the moderation team and to accept whatever decision they make. This isn't a paid job for any of them and babysitting this website is difficult enough in the Console Wars sense, let alone the real world dumpster fire we're all currently living through.

SpokenTruth said:
Keep the board. It filters that content out of general discussion.

Hide it from guests /not logged in from the Hot Topics list.

Communicate the option to Opt-Out or filter specific boards with the community (update forum threads, send private message or email to make the feature more known) so those that don't want Politics, don't see it.

Bring on more mods with the wherewithal to handle the Politics forum.

I feel this would satisfy the largest percentage of the community.

I'm with super_etecoon in terms of the effects this has on the mods, and I feel that's not good for a community for the mods to feel that way or for people to feel that way about the mods. I'll support them no matter what they do, but I really think we should consider moving all discussion of politics to a Discord server for VGChartz members, perhaps multiple such servers to accomodate multiple sets of tastes in how political discussion should be handled. Don't like the anything goes server? They probably don't like you, try the more heavily moderated server. Feel like the moderated server is stepping on your free speech? Go to the anything goes server. I don't see why everyone couldn't be satisfied with that. I get that these discussions need to go somewhere, but if you moved it to Discord like some of the NSFW threads did, people still have a place to express their opinions in a way that doesn't turn off potential newcomers to the site. You don't end up needing more mods for the site since the people that want the discussion to happen would create the servers and make the rules, and could make a new server if they didn't like the rules. Things would settle eventually, and the main site would lose all the controversy that's dividing us. If people tried to bring politics into other discussions, threads could be locked, warnings could be given out to anyone that forgot or didn't know the rule, it wouldn't have to be that big of a deal.

If we kept the board, definitely hide it from guests, but I'd say it should be opt-in, not opt-out. The same logic of "if you want politics, you can see it" applies, but no one is ever slapped in the face with it on the daily, and newcomers who don't know any better don't have to learn how to filter out shit that makes them feel unwelcome. If anything, at the very least it would make it less likely for people to leave before they get attached to the community if the first thing they see isn't toxic politics. If they start by exploring the gaming discussions and only go to politics once they grow to like the place enough to stick around and get to know people and are curious about the other boards, you'll see less of them driven away. There are certainly several ways of handling this, but the concern should be on growing the community and keeping members, not the right of current members to blast their ideas as loud as the site will allow them to. Who cares if politics is opt-in? Like I and many people have said, this is a gaming forum, so who cares if there's politics at all? If it's going to be here at all, it's no cost to anyone who wants to participate in politics discussions to have to click one or two more times to opt-in to the politics board.

Last edited by HylianSwordsman - on 11 March 2019

CGI-Quality said:
Though no decision has been made yet, I again appreciate the feedback we've received. And, my mind has shifted a bit on it. Many of your posts have given cause to definitely make some changes, but not so drastic that we must remove. I'm not saying that's the final call, of course, but I opened this topic for that reason.

As a team, we don't all agree on everything, but one thing that we have all agreed on is the state of the Political Discussion. That is, something needs to be done, whether it is getting rid of it or something else. In fairness to much of the criticism we have received in this regard, mods need to do more. It can be tough, and that area of the site can get ugly, but if we decide to keep it, I'm happy to make sure that we step up our presence in these topics. That has been said before, but now it is with conviction! I have been listening to feedback on many things (we decided to put some work into the ruleset, as an example ~ plenty of mods also thought it needed to shed some fat...and it did).

Of course, this is a video game website first and foremost, and while we could surely do away with a board that seems to be on life support, perhaps letting it die isn't the answer. Deliberations will happen, but just know that this has all been heard and is being taken very serious!

Thanks so much for opening this topic and letting our voices be heard. I think we'll all support you no matter what decision you make. I'm really glad you guys decided to do something about it though. Not that I ever doubted it, but it shows that you guys have your fingers on the pulse of the community.

TalonMan said:
HylianSwordsman said:

I wasn't aware. Thanks. Honestly I didn't try the filter setting in the forums because I usually browse specific boards when I go through the forums and only browse hot topics from the front page. Does it remember the filter setting you choose for future login sessions?

I maintain that I think for the health of the community it would be better for Politics to at the very least not be displayed in Hot Topics or front page by default, only showing up to members who have joined the forums and specifically opted to have them show up in Hot Topics.

Yes - it saves your choices to your profile...

Thanks, sorry, I didn't know...

Around the Network
HylianSwordsman said:
collint0101 said:
Keep it but just push for stricter moderation to combat obvious exaggerations, trolling, name calling ect. There's a pretty clear difference between an actual discussion and saying everyone is a sjw, feminist, racist, sexist, Nazi that's the downfall of Western society.

But where do you draw the line? Some things are actually sexist or racist and deserve to be called out as such. SJW and Nazi are definitely overused, but feminist and nationalist are things that people often openly identify as. I'd say so long as no one is using those terms to dismiss a person entirely by attacking them instead of the argument it's reasonable, but do you really think that if someone wanted to accuse an argument of being sexist or racist, that we could trust every single mod to be a fair arbiter of which times the term sexist or racist is being fairly applied to the argument and when it's being unconstructively applied to the person? Legitimate discussion is possible, but I like the moderators here, and I don't want to have to associate them with the calls they make on the politics board as to what's acceptable and what's not, and I don't want other people to have their feelings about the mods colored by those political calls either. It's easy to respect the mods when they make calls in the gaming and sales forums, but the mods are just human beings. They're going to have political opinions, and those opinions are going to bias their calls in the Politics board, and people are going to be sensitive to that. Stricter moderation would just result in people who disagree on where to draw the line growing resentful of the moderators, and I for one am really grateful for the job our volunteer moderators do and don't want to put them into that position, or see the damage to the community that would cause.

Would it really be that much harder than the video game forums though? There's a thread going around right now that's along the lines of "I never use my switch" or something like that that and it manages to be both critical but calm and understanding while if I posted something like "the switch is actual garbage and I regret buying it" it probably wouldn't last long. I really don't think navigating political opinions and all of the potential trolling and toxicity that come with it  is really that much worse than some of the worst I've seen come out of fanboys for console makerso

SpokenTruth said:

While growing the community is certainly a high priority item for any forum administration, it should not be at the detriment of the currently existing members of the community.  And your last statement holds the same weight as saying, "it's no cost to anyone who doesn't want to participate in politics discussions to have to click one or two more times to Opt-Out of the politics board." 

But the main problem with Opting-In is that new members to the forum would not know the Politics forum existed unless they were told or happened upon it in their filter settings.

The minor issue of who has to click a couple of times to enable or disable whatever is insignificant.  The real issue is how to ensure new users know you can Opt-In or Opt-Out.  Is it easier to do and more beneficial for all (current and new members) to Opt-In or Opt-Out?  Which one requires the most work?  The most communication to users to be effective?

You mean you've never visited the forum index page? The one that just lists all the boards? You can't filter that. If you can, just make it so you can't then. It doesn't display topics, and everyone checks it out at some point and would notice a board they hadn't been to and check it out. To me, opt-in would require the least work for the most effective outcome of allowing people who want it to look for it while never bothering anyone else. And how is it a detriment to the currently existing members? Like I said, it's one or two clicks, and in return, they get more members of the site, members who will eventually discover the politics board and decide for themselves if they want to hang out there.

@CGI-Quality

What are your thoughts on the problems within Political discussion? Along with your opinions on what could be done to rectify said problems? Other mods have offered some input, I'm curious on what you think regarding the entire situation.

The biggest problem we have is that we've managed to attract some very aggressive extremists who view this site as another way to disseminate their particular band of propaganda. Sure, these people are always in and out of bans, usually because they can't refrain from forcing their views into threads where it doesn't belong, but I think we could cut down on the problem, and the need for constant moderation, if the potential punishment for these people had some real teeth.

For example, we have one member who keeps making inflammatory threads with childishly written original posts that really just boil down to them bashing "the other side," often with unsubstantiated or flat-out wrong information. Their threads often get closed, even if there exists actual grounds for discussion, because their OP is terrible and their thread title is intended as flame-bait. Give these people harsher punishment. Let them know that they need to either stop being tools or they'll be gone from the forums entirely. This should also, hopefully, result in less work for the mod team.

Can we move it away from the Hot Topics parts? at the front page.