By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Capcom Says They Might Consider Porting Devil May Cry 5 to Switch if Dragon's Dogma Sells Well

Tagged games:

Yeah, I had little interest in either to begin with and this just outright kills any I had. No thanks.

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:

You seem to be having difficulty with logic so I'll break it down.

"...if Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen (Game X) sells well (requires being purchased), they might consider porting (we'll think about it) Devil May Cry 5 (Game A) to Nintendo’s console."

Here is the expanded version.

Buy (requires purchase of) game X (Dragon’s Dogma: Dark Arisen) from Y series (Dragon's Dogma) which is in Z genre (RPG) to get (they might consider porting) game A (Devil May Cry 5) from B series (Devil May Cry) which is in C genre (hack and slash).

Are you taking it literally that I mean you can only buy DMC 5 if you've purchased Dragon's Dogma?

I'm the one having issues with logic yet you claim that the director demands the purchase of a game despite the fact that no such words came from him ... 

Huh, I wonder how that's supposed to work out on top of your claim that Capcom themselves said it ... 

fatslob-:O said: 

On a more creepy optimistic note, I can see why the Director might pressure a customer base to make a game do well enough to serve his own possible wet dream ... 

How is that creepy or a wet dream?

What?

SpokenTruth said:

Right, right.  I see.  So a game director just randomly suggests something Capcom might do regarding a game series he has no involvement in based on the sales volume of his game...Sure.  How random.  Just an out of left field guess that Capcom might release a different game based on sales of his game....but not sales of any of the previous 10 releases on Switch.  OK. 

OR.  Maybe as one of the company's executive producers, he might know a bit about the company's intentions for Switch.

And yes, it is a demand.  If the stipulation is that Game X must sell well for Game A to be ported....that is a demand that you must buy a requisite volume of copies of Game X to get Game A

LOL, you managed to turn what was a relatively benign statement from one employee into a threat from what you perceive to be a monolithic company ... 

BTW he was the director for Dragon's Dogma too but I still don't know exactly what his motivations are for wanting his previous work to do well on a new system are ... 

There's preconditions to everything in life but whether they're justified or not is a matter of opinion ... 

Random_Matt said:
Wait, so a business cannot wait to see if another game sells first? Seems logical to me, if people were not interested in a prior product of mine, why would I sell them another?

What it says is we expect you to buy our games based on them being Capcom games so the demand for DMC 5 will be determined by Dragons Dogma because we know that makes sense, I'm sure history shows when one capcom game sells well on a platform they all do or vice versa , now if they launched the Devil May Cry HD bundle on Switch to gauge the demand  I could at least see some merit , but at the moment the cynic in me feel that they are looking for an excuse .

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network

I really enjoyed Dragons Dogma when I played it in 2014 but I'm not at all interested in Devil May Cry 5. What makes Capcom think that these two games command a similar fanbase?

Sordel said:
I really enjoyed Dragons Dogma when I played it in 2014 but I'm not at all interested in Devil May Cry 5. What makes Capcom think that these two games command a similar fanbase?

This thread really needs to be re-titled because from what I gather this is just an innocent developer comment... 

It's not an official statement from Capcom. 

The person who made Dragon's Dogma made Devil May Cry 5. There is the connection for you. 

I do think this was a stupid thing to say but it honestly is not the same as the other statements Capcom has made ... it's just dumb because it lacks self awareness. I don't even think the main development team would be the one porting DMC5 to Switch if that actually ended up happening so it's a weird comment. 

Meh!! If they had said Resident Evil 2 Remake instead...

I'm simply not interested in helping Capcom port every old game in their library just to get a new one. I, as many other Switch owners, actually own another system as well.

I reward 3rd parties with my money intelligently. I have already bought more games on the Switch than for the PS4 which I've had for 2 years more. If I prefer the portability, or it is a complete game that runs well on the system, I'll buy it. For example, I got Diablo III on Switch which I would have never bought on a console if it wasn't for the portability it offers. 

But what I will not do is foolishly buy games I don't want, like DD, just so that I'm given the opportunity to be grateful I have a new game. Nope. If I buy DMC 5, it will be intelligently: when the game is cheap enough, and on the best platform I can run it on (ie PS4 Pro). I'm not a beggar nor do I want breadcrumbs from anyone. I have not bought the RE games on the Switch because they are not good value. DD is not good value either. If Capcom doesn't want to release the game on the Switch, that is their choice. I'm not here to tell them what they shall do with their money, and I will definitely not accept them setting out conditions on how I should spend my money either. If they don't want my custom, I am fine with this. There are simply too many games on the Switch and I will not be struggling for choice.

There you go.

Last edited by Helloplite - on 09 March 2019