By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 16 February 2019

Kerotan said:
Keiji said:

Is it me or you are a little angry ?

He's a little angry alchemist. Alt account confirmed, perma ban incoming. 

^^

Around the Network
Rafie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It much more aligns with the results of the NPD prediction tool for February, where PS4 and XBO were very close together and Switch outselling them 2:1.

I appreciate that. I was curious. How much do you think the Switch will beat PS4 by in Feb? Which is still crazy considering both PS4/XBO had 3rd party releases that weren't on Switch.

Well, pretty much what the tool said: Switch selling twice as many consoles as the PS4 or XBO.

Keep in mind the Switch had a promo with a 35$ Gift card bundled with the console pretty much since the Direct. That certainly did help sell their consoles.

Kerotan said:
Keiji said:

Is it me or you are a little angry ?

That is true, I made an alt account back in 2016 just so I could end up having an argument with myself at the end of 2018 that leads onto posting a massive wall of text on my alts wall... that I then ignore on my alt! :o It's altception!

But no Keiji you really did pick it up wrong, I just thought it was funny someone posting the "well I never expected that to happen" type post only for that to not actually have happened, it makes Kerotan look right, but in a way he didn't really want to be. Regarding my feelings towards the PS4 btw, that and my Switch are both loved for what they offer a gamer and I think that alongside a gaming capable PC that is effectively the Triforce of gaming hardware in 2019, Best AAA exclusives, Best power, Best portability/Accessibility.

Sorry if it read as being salty more so than just me joking, wasn't the intention.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Rafie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

It much more aligns with the results of the NPD prediction tool for February, where PS4 and XBO were very close together and Switch outselling them 2:1.

I appreciate that. I was curious. How much do you think the Switch will beat PS4 by in Feb? Which is still crazy considering both PS4/XBO had 3rd party releases that weren't on Switch.

It is not crazy; Switch is basicly a portable and sells very well for other reasons which have nothing to do with 3rd party releases.   Comparing Switch to PS4 or X1 is like comparing apples with oranges, a relatevely new handheld VS two very old Home consoles.   Not only they cater different audience, but they also belong to two different generations.

I still cannot believe that this very simple concept has not yet been understood by some.    Just imagine, some still get surprised that Switch sells much better in Japan without new games and no 3rd party releases...

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

PwerlvlAmy said:

PS4 comes back with that inching 2k lead. It should hold it all through March with releases like DMC V,One Piece and Sekiro. Switch currently still holds NA and Japan but getting its ass kicked in EU

Wouldn't the Switch selling more than 3 to 1 over the PS4 in Japan be labeled as the ass kicking, rather than applying it to where it is being outsold less than 2 to 1 in EU?

Around the Network
Nate4Drake said:
Rafie said:

It is not crazy; Switch is basicly a portable and sells very well for other reasons which have nothing to do with 3rd party releases.   Comparing Switch to PS4 or X1 is like comparing apples with oranges, a relatevely new handheld VS two very old Home consoles.   Not only they cater different audience, but they also belong to two different generations.

I still cannot believe that this very simple concept has not yet been understood by some.    Just imagine, some still get surprised that Switch sells much better in Japan without new games and no 3rd party releases...

They're not that old. Also I understand the dynamics of the Switch and how it's selling. I almost feel like you're insulting my intelligence by saying that I don't comprehend that concept. I'm sure that wasn't your intention. That still doesn't negate the fact that there were decent 3rd party games out for February and the Switch barely had any, yet they're winning Feb.

You might have a debate on your hands saying that Switch is in a different generation. A lot of folks believe it's in the same generation as PS4/XBO.

Japan is a totally different market. I can't begin to understand how the Japanese audience work. It's quite peculiar. What makes sense to us here in the west doesn't necessarily translate there in Japan. For example, the 3rd party release you've stated. Japan will still sell many Switch consoles despite not having any compelling titles for that month. In the US, the PS4/XBO may win for that month if they have notable games that's not on Switch. However, Switch is still beasting and beating the other 2 despite not having any "big" game releasing. That's the reason I said it was crazy that the Switch was winning here for the month. I was speaking about the states. I know I didn't specify.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Ganoncrotch said:
Kerotan said:

That is true, I made an alt account back in 2016 just so I could end up having an argument with myself at the end of 2018 that leads onto posting a massive wall of text on my alts wall... that I then ignore on my alt! :o It's altception!

But no Keiji you really did pick it up wrong, I just thought it was funny someone posting the "well I never expected that to happen" type post only for that to not actually have happened, it makes Kerotan look right, but in a way he didn't really want to be. Regarding my feelings towards the PS4 btw, that and my Switch are both loved for what they offer a gamer and I think that alongside a gaming capable PC that is effectively the Triforce of gaming hardware in 2019, Best AAA exclusives, Best power, Best portability/Accessibility.

Sorry if it read as being salty more so than just me joking, wasn't the intention.

I knew what you meant anyway and found it funny even though I never replied. 

Looks like Switch will stay slightly ahead until a week hits with big software or exclusives for PS4. Then holidays it should get a couple million in front for the year. If Sony cuts to $199 it would gain a lot before the holidays. Would be smart to do so in September and then bundle with Horizon or something for the holidays.

I am Iron Man

There was a topic about a month ago asking whether or not PS4 can achieve 50% market share when all is said and done.
Currently the PS4 is ahead by 20 million (Xbox + Switch).
This week they lead the PS4 by about 100k.
At this specific rate it would take about 3.5 years to make the PS4. And in general PlayStaion consoles have incredible legs.
Therefore, even though it is too early to call, I will bet that the PS4 manages to maintain 50% marketshare over the current competition LTD.
While the Switch obvious has lots of life left, I think the slow xbox one sales will be enough to ensure that the PS4 maintains 50% share.

Rafie said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

To be fair the 3rd party games either weren't big games or they underperformed.

Far Cry: New Dawn is a spinoff and the 4th entry on PS4/XBO so the audience already has the system. Based on UK/Japan charts it did only a fraction of Far Cry 5.

Metro: Exodus seems to be doing very well compared to the previous installments but the series wasnt very to begin with so I dont think it's the type of game people buy a console for.

Anthem had potential to be really big and be a system seller but the reception has been underwhelming and the game is underperforming big time.

Also there is the fact that PS4/XBO are in their 6th year and individual titles dont typically give large bumps in sales late in a consoles life.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.