By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - IGN takes issue with white male lead in Days Gone.

Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

If he said 'Oh great another white male protagonist' That would be an anti-white sentiment. 

He statement DID say that he thought the character was generic cookie cutter bullshit. You're getting so caught up on one word you're failing to actually understand what he said. I'm starting to think you don't want to.

I would assume your example would only be used sarcastically and that would imply the same thing that was said.

Youre saying Im getting caught up on a single word but it says a lot about how the writer thinks. Its a double standard.

Obviously my example is assuming no sarcasm. 

Yes, it says a lot about how the writer is tired of generic characters, but in this case he realised the character is a lot deeper than the generic foundation would suggest.
White is not a bad thing and he never said it was a bad thing it was used for description. It's like saying I have a big red ugly car. Does it mean I hate red? Does it mean red is bad and I'm being anti-red? Do I judge all red cars to be ugly? No it's a description for an ugly ass car that's red. 

Racism exists but pointing racism at anything that has the word 'white' or 'black' in it without thinking about context and reading what he's actually saying or using any sort of logic at all is a bad idea. 

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
This thread turned out better than expected. At first I thought it was posted as a joke because of its selective quoting, but white males feeling like victims is apparently a very real thing and not just something that exists in parodies.

People enjoy playing the victim and will grab at anything to say 'look see, I'm being victimised'. 

deskpro2k3 said:
+ Gorgeous Details
- Main character is too white.
7.8 - IGN

😂 

ArchangelMadzz said:
RolStoppable said:
This thread turned out better than expected. At first I thought it was posted as a joke because of its selective quoting, but white males feeling like victims is apparently a very real thing and not just something that exists in parodies.

People enjoy playing the victim and will grab at anything to say 'look see, I'm being victimised'. 

Well I don't feel like that and I'm the OP. I just find it stupid in this day and age of equality these double standards exist. 

Kerotan said:
deskpro2k3 said:
+ Gorgeous Details
- Main character is too white.
7.8 - IGN

😂 

ArchangelMadzz said:

Well I don't feel like that and I'm the OP. I just find it stupid in this day and age of equality these double standards exist. 

Double standards?

Black people have been complaining about generic black characters for years. 

I absolutely do not feel like a victim, maybe economically in certain ways, residing in our ass backwards corprotocracy of America - but certainly not racially. God help me if I ever come off that way, as I hate that mentality, and frankly we need far more of a positive, winning mentality in this country, not more rushing to the bottom of victimhood for virtue points. We've definitely got more than enough of that going on around here already.

I'm merely pointing how interesting double standards about what can and cannot be said within major media publications (which strangely seems to be uniform in their language). I really don't care, I find it more amusing if anything. You can ask questions and point out inconsistancies without the hyperbolic notion of claiming "victimhood"

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

Around the Network
ArchangelMadzz said:
Kerotan said:

😂 

Double standards?

Black people have been complaining about generic black characters for years. 

I can only think of one time when game developers got it right. Barret, the dude shows character, leadership, a father, and he's outspoken.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
SpokenTruth said:
pokoko said:

I disagree with that definition.  The way trope is popularly used, it's often not to the point of cliche.

You.....you disagree with the dictionary on the definition of a word?

Step away from the shovel. 

LOL

Anyway I still agree with what you guys are saying. The writer was referring to the generic white biker dude character, some people just have to get outraged at the white part though.

the vast majority of video games developers ( in the states where this game is being made ) are white and the vast majority of consumers of video games ( again in the states )are white
so... what the fuck are people expecting?
as for the comments on his being gruff or rough or whatever... he's in a post apocalyptic world...
for the comments about gruffness being a general thing... most video games are about adventure... most adventurers are gruff... it doesn't take sherlock fucking holmes to put the two together

its just ironic to me that in trying to curb racism even more racism is perpetuated lol

speaking as a black man i don't give a fuck about whether i'm playing a black or white or green man, if you are really hung up on that bullshit its because you stupidly allowed someone to implant an idiotic narrative in your head and they are now controlling you through that narrative... no one just ends up spontaneously thinking "well fuck me why are all of these white people in my games" while playing their games, its happening because of all of this social justice bullshit being pushed by the media and academia

in truth i'd rather play as a half naked big booty woman in all of my games but then that would be considered sexist wouldn't it? that can't be allowed because it caters to the male gaze or some other such nonsense and then the same idiots will turn around and tell you that men and women are the same and are interchangeable ( try explaining how someone can have both of those ideas in their head simultaneously and not be a puppet )

SpokenTruth said:
pokoko said:

Wait, what?  You do know the definition of "gruff," don't you?  It certainly doesn't just deal with voice.  

English Language Learners Definition of gruff

: rough or very serious in manner or speech

Or speech.  Do you not understand context?  The trope is the gruff, white male protagonist. It's the speech element of gruff that is part of the trope.

You didn't know what a trope was (no, not the literary device) and failed to understand the context of the trope itself. What more could you possibly have to screw up next?

We're going to try this again.  Many gamers are tired of the constant tropes in video games.  One of those tropes is the gruff, white male protagonist.  It's not that they don't like gruff (speech). It's not that they don't like white.  It's not that they don't like male.  It's not that they don't like protagonists. It's that the combination of those 4 character traits is overused and demonstrates a lack of creativity on the part of the developers.

Do you get it now?

Now you're just being silly.  No, when you talk about a person as gruff, you're referring to their manor.  When you refer to speech as being gruff, you're referring to their voice.  Honestly, how hard is that to understand?  Think a little bit.  A "gruff white man" refers to the person.  Really, this is just common sense.  No one gives a damn about the sound of his voice.

Definition of 'gruff'

gruff

(grʌf  )

1. adjective

A gruff voice sounds low and rough.

He picked up the phone expecting to hear the president's gruff voice.

gruffly adverb

"Well, never mind now," he said gruffly.

2. adjective

If you describe someone as gruff, you mean that they seem rather unfriendly or bad tempered.

His gruff exterior concealed one of the kindest hearts.