By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - IGN takes issue with white male lead in Days Gone.

SpokenTruth said:
Kerotan said:

If black people want to complain about a black character because he's boring or whatever then by all means do. But don't complain about him because he's black or because of his sex, or sexuality. These things should be irrelevant when judging people. 

Can you complain when an overused stereotype keeps getting overused?

lol you're calling skin color a stereotype?

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
ArchangelMadzz said:

It was because that's part of the trope attached to that type of character. 

It's not criticising the actual skin colour itself how is that so hard to see? If I see an angry black woman character and think oh what an overused trope. I'm criticising the character, I'm not criticising the skin colour that's a ridiculous leap of logic. You gotta do some serious mental gymnastics to hold your viewpoint. 

Angry black woman is an overused trope and so is being white?

Maybe you mean a gruff person in a post apocalyptic zombie infested world is over used? I guess you'd like to see more jovial people in that setting? Preferably not white of course.

Maybe jovial black non-binary character in a zombie survival thriller!

i suppose in future everybody will have to paint themselves purple

o_O.Q said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Angry black woman is an overused trope and so is being white?

Maybe you mean a gruff person in a post apocalyptic zombie infested world is over used? I guess you'd like to see more jovial people in that setting? Preferably not white of course.

Maybe jovial black non-binary character in a zombie survival thriller!

i suppose in future everybody will have to paint themselves purple

I've been so many places, 

I've seen so many faces, 

But nothing compares to those, 

Blue and yellow purple pills. 

o_O.Q said:
SpokenTruth said:

Can you complain when an overused stereotype keeps getting overused?

You've given up on listening, haven't you?

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

ArchangelMadzz said:
o_O.Q said:

You've given up on listening, haven't you?

Maybe he disagrees with what he hears? 

Around the Network
Metroid33slayer said:
Replace the word white with any other race and male with female and this bigot gets fired and never works in the industry again. It's a sickening double standard.

In this actual sentence replace the word white with any other race and simply wouldn't sense because there is not an abundance of non white  "gruff" protagonists in AAA games.

It'd be like a writer saying yet another Mascot lead 3D platformer, a sentence that may have made sense in 2000 but not today where mascots & 3D platformers are rare compared other kinds of characters and genres.

Otter said:
Metroid33slayer said:
Replace the word white with any other race and male with female and this bigot gets fired and never works in the industry again. It's a sickening double standard.

In this actual sentence replace the word white with any other race and simply wouldn't sense because there is not an abundance of non white  "gruff" protagonists in AAA games.

It'd be like a writer saying yet another Mascot lead 3D platformer, a sentence that may have made sense in 2000 but not today where mascots & 3D platformers are rare compared other kinds of characters and genres.

What if he said yet another white mascot 3d platformer? My comment would be the same. Why is it necessary to bring up the colour? 

Kerotan said:
Otter said:

What if he said yet another white mascot 3d platformer? My comment would be the same. Why is it necessary to bring up the colour? 

Because the race contributes towards the trope.  An example is how Asian nerd is a trope in lots of popular media but black nerd is not. Its not that complicated.

Otter said:
Metroid33slayer said:

You are defending the indefensible, the color of the skin should not matter; and as such it should not be involved as an argument.  It is quite simple.

The author whether he wanted or not, was being racist.

Heavenly_King said:
Otter said:

You are defending the indefensible, the color of the skin should not matter; and as such it should not be involved as an argument.  It is quite simple.

The author whether he wanted or not, was being racist.

lol ok, why do I get the feeling you never experienced any actual racism before? Mention of  the race of the character leaves a bad taste in your mouth? Its ok, it doesn't amount to anything beyond that. Thankfully the general population is moving towards having a better understanding of racism so trivial things like this don't draw traction outside of gaming forums. This will effect no ones life, it doesn't reinforce any harmful stereotypes and the sentiments like the IGN author was expressing actually help the industry think broader, more inclusively and can make a difference to those who are actually lacking in decent representation. They could of left white out of the description and the point would've still been understood but equally by including "white" they've just been even more descriptive of why the character is generic, all the meanwhile no one is harmed. 

Alternatively we can pretend this is an attack on the oppressed white male and a clear moral crime which will only reinforce the oppression of the white male. Do you also think it's sexist & racist against white males when people were complain about old white men disproportionately dominating politics?

Last edited by Otter - on 10 March 2019