Forums - Movies Discussion - Sonic's movie design seemingly leaked

Good God, that looks hideous.

Not that I was expecting anything decent out of this, since videogame movies are pretty much never good and Sonic has had several cartoons with mixed results (Sonic SatAM was the only good one), not to mention he hasn't had many good games since the 90's.

Still, though, *I* could probably come up with a better 3D model for Sonic, and that's seriously saying something since I can't draw for shit.

Around the Network

This actually makes me want to see it even more. Like a movie so bad you have to see it...fitting in with other classics like Troll 2 or Silent Night Deadly Night.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

As a Sonic fan who was looking forward to this movie when it was first announced, seeing the design totally killed my hype. I have no clue what Tim Miller was thinking, supposedly this was his idea, he pushed for a more "realistic" looking Sonic that is muscular enough to be a runner and that has more realistic looking hair and quills, but the end result is an abomination that it is up there with Will Smith Genie for worst movie character design in 2019. 

shikamaru317 said:

As a Sonic fan who was looking forward to this movie when it was first announced, seeing the design totally killed my hype. I have no clue what Tim Miller was thinking, supposedly this was his idea, he pushed for a more "realistic" looking Sonic that is muscular enough to be a runner and that has more realistic looking hair and quills, but the end result is an abomination that it is up there with Will Smith Genie for worst movie character design in 2019. 

But a realistic looking Sonic would be more like

That thing in the OP is anything but realistic for a Hedgehog... it's a dude in a bad fursuit that doesn't have any reproductive organs.

Fancy hearing me on an amateur podcast with friends gushing over one of my favourite games? https://youtu.be/1I7JfMMxhf8

There are no words that can express how I feel about this, so..

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
shikamaru317 said:

That thing in the OP is anything but realistic for a Hedgehog... it's a dude in a bad fursuit that doesn't have any reproductive organs.

Hence why I put "realistic" in quotes xD

I really have no idea what Tim Miller was thinking, most Sonic fans would have been just happy with the standard modern Sonic design made slightly more realistic by adding more detail to his fur and quills, something like the design used in the 2013 live-action fan film: 

There was no reason to give him a more muscular body and change his eyes like they did. 

shikamaru317 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Hence why I put "realistic" in quotes xD

I really have no idea what Tim Miller was thinking, most Sonic fans would have been just happy with the standard modern Sonic design made slightly more realistic by adding more detail to his fur and quills, something like the design used in the 2013 live-action fan film: 

There was no reason to give him a more muscular body and change his eyes like they did. 

Seems only video game fans can make good video game movies these days.

Someone made a quick fan edit of it, and it looks a hell of a lot better than the real professional one.

Hiku said:

Someone made a quick fan edit of it, and it looks a hell of a lot better than the real professional one.

Yeah, that basically looks like the one from the 2013 fan-made live-action movie. Paramount really did a botch job on Sonic, hard to say which is worse between Live-action Genie from Aladdin and live-action Sonic. 

I expected worse, but that edit to the model used for the games is 1000 times better.