By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What is going to sell better, Pokemon Sword/Shield or Pokemon Gold/Silver?

Tagged games:

How well is Sword/Shield going to sell in comparison to the other versions?

It will be the 8th, the w... 2 4.88%

It will be the 7th, beating Black/White. 0 0%

It will be the 6th, beating Ruby/Sapphire. 0 0%

It will be the 5th, beating Sun/Moon. 1 2.44%

It will be the 4th, beating X/Y. 8 19.51%

It will be the 3th, beating Diamond/Pearl. 19 46.34%

It will be the 2th, beating Gold/Silver. 3 7.32%

It will be the 1th, becom... 3 7.32%

I have no fucking clue. 5 12.20%

Total:41

My guesstimation is 18 to 20 million. I doubt it will beat Gold/Silver since as others have mentioned, there's a new Pokemon game every year and also because at present, it doesn't look ambitious in it's scope.

Since Let's Go already hit 10 million, I would say it's safe to assume Sword/Shield will nearly double that amount but maybe the nostalgia value is far more stronger for Let's Go?

Around the Network

First place, the other Pokemon games are not impressive. This one will easily sell 100 billion units.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

It definitely has a chance to beat G/S. Can't say for sure as yet though, there's not enough info and it's too far away to have properly had people board its hype train. ATM I think it'll do around 20m, but if it looks good as more info comes out, it could go 25-30m maybe even more.

Between Diamond/Pearl and Gold/Silver.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

Unlike Pokemon games of yesteryears, they just don't get time to breathe. Nintendo games are known for awesome sexy legs too. Seems counter-productive.

Switch is another beast though. 15 million is the floor. I'm estimating 19 million.

Around the Network

I picked 4th because there is no way that you can be 3th, 2th, or even 1th in anything.

To be serious, though, I think that the legs of the game will also be cut off by having a straight-up improved version come in just a year after launch, though I hope that spot will be taken by a D/P remake instead.

I WON A BET AGAINST AZUREN! WOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

:3

VGC has Sun/Moon at 15.17m and Ultra Sun/Moon at 7.15.  That total is 22.32m.  To me that is the ceiling for Sword/Shield.  I think it will do close to that but not more.  That actually puts it just below Gold/Silver, but above all of the other games (except the original).

The_Liquid_Laser said:

VGC has Sun/Moon at 15.17m and Ultra Sun/Moon at 7.15.  That total is 22.32m.  To me that is the ceiling for Sword/Shield.  I think it will do close to that but not more.  That actually puts it just below Gold/Silver, but above all of the other games (except the original).

If you count USM you should count crystal as well for Gold/Silver

But I agree that USM has cut the legs of S/M way too much as it released too ealy, S/M would have done around 18-19 millions witout it.

Lucas-Rio said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

If you count USM you should count crystal as well for Gold/Silver

But I agree that USM has cut the legs of S/M way too much as it released too ealy, S/M would have done around 18-19 millions witout it.

You may be right, but it wouldn't change my result.  I still think Sword/Shield will sell less than Gold/Silver.  I'm mostly trying to determine a ceiling in case there isn't a third game or equivalent to Sword/Shield.  X/Y didn't have anything like that.

Very difficult to guess. Could go any way. Still, I think if it was a bit more ambitious, it would be easier. For now I'd say it'll end up above XY, at say 17m.