-Dragon Ball FighterZ

-Soulcalibur VI

-Mortal Kombat 11

-Samurai Shodown

-Under Night In-Birth Exe:Late[st]

-----

EVO 2019 takes place August 2nd - 4th.
Last edited by Ultrashroomz - on 16 April 2019

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

All hail the death of Melee! Hallelujah!

No Melee! Finally Evo sees the light. DBFZ should be a Sunday game though

Sucks, that Melee isn't gonna be there (Melee doesn't need EVO and EVO doesn't need Melee anyways). But still a really good line up, looking forward to watch Ultimate, Blazblue, and Dragon Ball FighterZ at the very least.

It's unfortunate/weird that Melee will not be back at this year's EVO.

Though I guess its understandable considering the negative reaction regarding the Bo3 until Finals rule, the complications of setting up equipment for Melee (its using CRTs for Pete's sake), and the rather rocky relationship between the Smash community (probably more on the Melee side than general) and the FGC. Though if Melee were to be left out, I am glad Super Smash Bros. Ultimate has shown great promise in the competitive scene to be considered into the EVO lineup. It will be interesting to see where the meta goes after April ends when Joker and 3.0.0 are live (plus, you have to imagine something being set up for reveal when the Smash Ultimate Finals happen).

Anyways, the usual mainstays are also here (i.e., Street Fighter V, Tekken 7), the big game from last year (DBFZ), and some new entries like MK11, Soul Calibur VI, and Samurai Shodown. Will look forward to another great event.

Edit: Forgot to mention potential content updates around E3 as it has happened before.

Last edited by Kai_Mao - on 26 February 2019

Around the Network

YES! No Melee!!! Thank, God!!!

Take it away, Carlton!!!

Last edited by PAOerfulone - on 27 February 2019

Now I wonder which out of the four big games will get the most entries: Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition, Tekken 7, Dragon Ball FighterZ, or Super Smash Bros. Ultimate...?

I know what Street Fighter V and Tekken 7 will do as they have very solid core fanbases in the competitive scene with all the pro tours and all that. Not to mention the legacies behind them as competitive games.

Dragon Ball FighterZ will be somewhat interesting as there have been some recent controversies in regards to the game being aired for live competition (i.e., not coming to EVO Japan and Anime Ascension). Though I expect big numbers from the scene because it still has a strong scene and its Dragon Ball Z, arguably the most popular anime/manga franchise in the world. I am not familiar with most of the competitive scenes (outside of Smash Bros.), but I do not see too much issue in garnering participants to play FighterZ, especially as new content and patch notes continue to help the game evolve.

Smash Bros. Ultimate, as noted during the EVO reveal live stream, has the potential to break entry records. In Genesis 6, it had the third highest entries out of any Smash Bros. game in any event in history (only surpassed by Smash 4 and Melee's entries at EVO 2016). Not to mention it's on its way to become the best-selling fighting game of all time by a significant margin. And so far, as I mentioned before, the game has shown great potential in the competitive scene. Plus, the incredible dream roster of Nintendo + third party characters is surely in the caliber (if not, greater) of that of Dragon Ball Z's overall popularity. Will be interesting to see how much crossover will Ultimate have.

I feel this is a good sign for Ultimate. My vision of it is that the community thought Brawl and 4 were not good enough to replace Melee which is why they kept it around along with the new game but for Ultimate it is strong enough to stand on its own and I couldn't agree more! I've watched so many Ultimate Tournament videos since release and this game is so fun to watch.

Signature goes here!

I'd never thought i would see the day EVO dropped Melee.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

We will miss you, KOF ....