Forums - Gaming Discussion - Always Online Gaming is the bane of my Existence

Does Always Online Requirements bother you?

Yes, It does. 32 72.73%

Not bothered by it. 12 27.27%

Total:44

It was said best in the movie Gladiator.

Gracchus: Fear and wonder, a powerful combination.

Falco: You really think people are going to be seduced by that?

Gracchus: I think he knows what Rome is. Rome is the mob. Conjure magic for them and they'll be distracted. Take away their freedom and still they'll roar. The beating heart of Rome is not the marble of the senate, it's the sand of the coliseum. He'll bring them death and they will love him for it.

Around the Network

This is pretty much called game as a service.

Shame, they keep making games with this type of business model, it's tremendously annoying as hell for many reasons.

Steam ID: Quakecore89 / GOG: AMDFX89 / PSN: QuakeCore_89 / Xbox Live Tag: QuakeCore89 / NS: SW-7937-5976-6855

Current PC: (Ryzen 7 3700X/32GB 3200MHz DDR4 RAM/MSI Ventus GeForce RTX 2080 Super/Crucial 250GB M.2(Boot) Kingston 1TB SSD(Storage))

When 5g hits the market, you wont even know you are online, thats how promising its looking. That fast its incredible.

I don't like AO. I've done a spectacular job of avoiding it though. I think.....the only game I've purchased AND played in my entire collection that has it is......Bionic Commando 2 on PS3, which I knew had it, but bought it because it was very cheap. Like 3 bucks or something.

Chinese food for breakfast

Do you really think a game that is online only really is the same thing as Microsoft’s original vision for Xbone that gamers rejected? There’s a big difference between a game requiring online play, and an entire system being always online, and locking down your physical games through DRM.

Sure, EA might have an always online title like Anthem, but they also have lots of titles that don’t require online. Same with Activision. Same with Ubisoft. Just buy those? A lot of the games you mentioned are shared world games designed around online play. Why would The Division or Anthem be playable offline?

Around the Network

You live quite the charmed life then!

But yes, always-online sucks, and needs to go away.

noname2200 said:

Than games like MMORPGs will be crap.

That's one of the big reasons why I'm mostly retro gaming, indie gaming and Nintendo gaming and ignoring the big publishers for years now. The other big reason is that they try to nickel and dime you at every single corner

I'm very much on the move, and often can't get stable internet. With AO I couldn't play games anymore, but that doesn't bother my Switch or my GOG backlog on my laptop in the slightest.

Azzanation said:
noname2200 said:

Than games like MMORPGs will be crap.

What you mean "then"?

I've always been rejecting these kind of games that don't allow you into offline playing session. I find intrusive and it'll also ultimately will devalue the game by the time servers will be put down which means that you won't be able to play the game anymore because they decided so. You rip yourself from your ownership right and that's a no-no from me !

Switch Friend Code : 3905-6122-2909