By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - How Epic Store Exclusives are bringing console wars to PC

Chazore said:
CladInShadows said:
I'm done caring about this issue. Initially, I was a little annoyed that I'd possibly have to install yet another launcher, but really, it's not a big deal. I'll continue to buy games where I can get the best price like I do today with steam and GOG.

Console wars, this is not.

To you perhaps, but to a lot of others and the way it's being analysed, it is. 

Here's my problem with comparing it to the console wars.  Nobody is locking anybody out of buying and playing a game.  You don't need to buy a new system to play the games that are now exclusive to one storefront. If you have a PC, and you have the specs for the game in question, you can play it.  End of story.

The difference here is that some people have decided that they would rather not play a game than to *gasp* install a new launcher and deal with a storefront that has a few less features.  And that's fine, but that's on the consumer, nobody else.  It's about as silly as refusing to play a game because it's digital only or something. But these are the hills some gamers choose to die on.

Around the Network

Just competition, people becoming fans of specific stores is only natural when you get more than one real choice.

Yerm said:
if you actually look at the list of features that you say are "missing", its all bullshit. the average person does not care about 90% of those features listed.

Curators? nobody cares.
Trading cards? nobody cares.
Device streaming? nobody cares.
Broadcasting? theres a million better ways to do this.
Screenshots? same thing.
Marketplace? nobody cares.
Community guides? this is not something only steam does.
Groups? nobody cares.

i look for just a few things. if i can buy games, and have it easy and convenient to play them, thats all i need. and how about all the stuff Epic offers that seems to get sweeped under the rug?

Offering more revenue to developers
Better, faster customer support
A free game every 2 weeks

competition is good, and Steam has been needing it for a long time. they need to step up their shit or they will become obsolete

I agree with most of the rest, but not the first one. See what clogged mess Steam has become because it's not curated? See how orderly GOG is for instance by comparison? Curating the literal shit out of the store matters a lot more than you might think.

As for community guides, they can be very helpful if you're having problems, both technical ones or when you're stuck in the game somewhere. I agree that they can be found elsewhere in most cases, but not always (especially more obscure titles may be very hard to find outside such guides) Btw, unlike what that sheet says, GOG has such guides, they're just part of the forums of said games on GOG.

For me it has never been about competition on PC.

By nature I am lazy. I am tired of signing up to ever bloody little thing.

Steam was there first, I got an account. Sure the others are new and could be good. But the fact that here I go again need to signup to another thing when they can just as easily release the game on steam is a pain.

Bofferbrauer2 said:
Yerm said:
if you actually look at the list of features that you say are "missing", its all bullshit. the average person does not care about 90% of those features listed.

Curators? nobody cares.
Trading cards? nobody cares.
Device streaming? nobody cares.
Broadcasting? theres a million better ways to do this.
Screenshots? same thing.
Marketplace? nobody cares.
Community guides? this is not something only steam does.
Groups? nobody cares.

i look for just a few things. if i can buy games, and have it easy and convenient to play them, thats all i need. and how about all the stuff Epic offers that seems to get sweeped under the rug?

Offering more revenue to developers
Better, faster customer support
A free game every 2 weeks

competition is good, and Steam has been needing it for a long time. they need to step up their shit or they will become obsolete

I agree with most of the rest, but not the first one. See what clogged mess Steam has become because it's not curated? See how orderly GOG is for instance by comparison? Curating the literal shit out of the store matters a lot more than you might think.

As for community guides, they can be very helpful if you're having problems, both technical ones or when you're stuck in the game somewhere. I agree that they can be found elsewhere in most cases, but not always (especially more obscure titles may be very hard to find outside such guides) Btw, unlike what that sheet says, GOG has such guides, they're just part of the forums of said games on GOG.

the curators are debatable. but for community guides, there are other outlets that can provide the same thing. fan wikis, reddit threads, even youtube all have that area covered. its a bit simple minded to say that community guides are one of Steam's flagship features

Around the Network

tagging this for when I get to watch the videos so I can make a reply including some of their stuff.

as it stands I agree with the fact that there is internal competition on the PC for a while though with Origin and Steam going back a few years.... competition isn't new for people here on the PC.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Yerm said:
Bofferbrauer2 said:

the curators are debatable. but for community guides, there are other outlets that can provide the same thing. fan wikis, reddit threads, even youtube all have that area covered. its a bit simple minded to say that community guides are one of Steam's flagship features

I would never have called it a flagship feature, but it's a "nice to have". Especially, like I said, for more obscure titles which don't have extensive wikis and the like. Try getting information about the new heroes, units and mechanics for Eador: Imperium for instance. Great game, but minimal information to find online outside community guides.

Epic games will be slowly improving they are obviously developing their client as we speak.

There will be screen shots forums etc a year or two down the line epic game store will be huge

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

Installing another launcher on your PC is not the same as buying a new console just for an exclusive.

isnt epic only taking a 12% cut of sales (i think 8% if the game uses unreal engine) compared to steams 30%? (25 or 20% depending on how successful the game is). how could this not be good for developers?