By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thinking of getting a PSP. Seeking advice from PSP owners.

Play Crisis Core FF7

Black Women Are The Most Beautiful Women On The Planet.

"In video game terms, RPGs are games that involve a form of separate battles taking place with a specialized battle system and the use of a system that increases your power through a form of points.

Sure, what you say is the definition, but the connotation of RPGs is what they are in video games." - dtewi

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
Ganoncrotch said:

You know you can mod a vita to allow it play every single psp game? 

From UMDs?

Nope not needed, you can inject the PSP OS into a Vita PSP title, so when you start up that PSP game it instead launches the PSP XMB and you can drop ISO's into that to play titles which never came to the Vita for reasons like licensing and such, it's pretty awesome to play games like THUG2 on the Vita's lovely screen and using its analog sticks instead of the PSPs original one.

Should be enough info in these to get you going on google to find what you need. GBA and Temp would also be two good words to include in google searches!

If you have a Vita knocking about that you've not used in a while it is really worth checking out the homebrew scene on it, but will say it has been a while since I've checked in with new updates but last I seen you pretty much needed to remove your psn account from the Vita to insure you would avoid possible bans to your psn account, lots of fear mongering about it... I never got a ban but also never played any Vita titles online or got trophies in them.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Lol, you're already judging the thing by looks without even playing it.

You want a more modern handheld and that's totally fine, however, PSP has some great games that are worth owning the console for.

Loading screens? Yes, sometimes they do take a little bit. Some games do allow installation in order to perform better though, not unlike the Xbox 360.

Yes you can play it while plugged in, but as any other device, you're better off leaving it to charge before using it.

PSP GO comes with an internal flash memory to store your save files and multimedia. The memory cards used with older models are not very expensive either.

The analog stick does feel different from the 3DS', but if that's enough to stop you from playing some awesome games. Reconsider gaming, it may not be for you. ITS JUST AN ANALOG STICK.

Kuksenkov said:

You want a more modern handheld and that's totally fine, however, PSP has some great games that are worth owning the console for.

Loading screens? Yes, sometimes they do take a little bit. Some games do allow installation in order to perform better though, not unlike the Xbox 360.

Yes you can play it while plugged in, but as any other device, you're better off leaving it to charge before using it.

PSP GO comes with an internal flash memory to store your save files and multimedia. The memory cards used with older models are not very expensive either.

The analog stick does feel different from the 3DS', but if that's enough to stop you from playing some awesome games. Reconsider gaming, it may not be for you. ITS JUST AN ANALOG STICK.

Is the analog stick good though? This is a serious question. Everytime I look at it, it just looks like it would be painful to use. I guess I'll just have to try one out for an extended time at a used game store. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Kuksenkov said:

Is the analog stick good though? This is a serious question. Everytime I look at it, it just looks like it would be painful to use. I guess I'll just have to try one out for an extended time at a used game store. 

well 80 million of them sold and there have been very few fatalities because of the analog stick among those gamers. The stick is what it is, it's flat so that the system can be portable but for the games which use it there's no real issue with the thing, it's obviously different to a regular one in a console pad or in the newer handhelds like the Switch but it's perfectly functional. I made a post above as well when it comes to psp games those are now all playable on a modified psvita, just food for thought if you are tech savvy and don't mind having a dig about for game image files rather than going to second hand stores for them.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Around the Network

Persona 3 Portable.
As someone who was not the biggest fan of the original/canon male route, the female route that is exclusive to P3P is a tremendous improvement over the original. The female route of P3P is my second favorite in the series after Persona 4 Golden.

Honestly, I couldn't get behind patapon. Overall, the console is fine. The only thing that ever bugged me about it was the ghosting on the 1000 model, which I didn't own. Also annoying were the lack of dual stuck, or thumb knobs, or whatever. I didn't play any game on PSP that required free-control camera, though.

Mega Man Powered Up was my favorite game on the console, and the online servers are still up too, so you can download and share custom stages. Also good were Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X, and Tekken: Dark Resurrection. It's not called "Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection" because it's missing the vanilla Tekken 5 stages, which were nothing but recolors anyway. Gameplay is a 1-1 conversion from Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection, with the only other thing taking a hit being the graphics. The only 2 reasons I don't play it these days is simply because I have the game on PS3 and Tekken 7 usually gets my time when I want to play Tekken these days.

I'd opt for a large memory card around 32 GB, though. IIRC, if the card is too big, it'll have negative effects on read/write speeds. Should be enough for the PS1 games you'll also have access to.

I'd go with a PSP GO if you just want to play games from the store. It already has 16GB of memory by default. The slightly smaller screen makes the PSP's 480x272 resolution look sharper. It also has the ability to play your games using a DS3, while it's plugged into the TV.

BraLoD said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Nope not needed, you can inject the PSP OS into a Vita PSP title, so when you start up that PSP game it instead launches the PSP XMB and you can drop ISO's into that to play titles which never came to the Vita for reasons like licensing and such, it's pretty awesome to play games like THUG2 on the Vita's lovely screen and using its analog sticks instead of the PSPs original one.

Should be enough info in these to get you going on google to find what you need. GBA and Temp would also be two good words to include in google searches!

If you have a Vita knocking about that you've not used in a while it is really worth checking out the homebrew scene on it, but will say it has been a while since I've checked in with new updates but last I seen you pretty much needed to remove your psn account from the Vita to insure you would avoid possible bans to your psn account, lots of fear mongering about it... I never got a ban but also never played any Vita titles online or got trophies in them.

Of course it is needed, pirating is a no go to me.

The only possible scenario would be games that were never released in english and have fan translations, those I would accept using roms. (Unless I eventually learn japanese xP)

If the Vita at least had support to all PSP games through the store that would be something to really consider.

They should have released a Vita with physical BC from UMDs, that would be a dream.

I own the psp version of thug2 so I'm going to lose exactly zero sleep by downloading a version of it that will run on the Vita rather than playing my version on a psp1000 the impact from that piracy on anyone is literally zero except if I wanted to be on some imaginary moral high ground and suffer playing the title in an inferior in every way method.

My morale standing as someone that does charity work and cares for sick relatives is in the green enough to own an image file of a game I own.

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ljink96 said:

If you can tolerate more classic style JRPGs from falcom I recommend the Legend of Heroes games on PSP. Those were some of my favorites. The remakes of Ys I and II on PSP were great as well (Ys Chronicles).

I'd definitely cop one. Hell, for the homebrew alone.

I have the Legend of Heroes games on my PS3. But yeah those games are great!

There are 3 Legend of Heroes games on PSP that you absolutely do not have on PS3. They're remakes of very old games that haven't been ported anywhere since releasing on PSP. There are also Trails in the Sky FC and SC on the platform.

Also, the battery life is not bad at all. It's better than the 3DS and Vita.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.