By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Thinking of getting a PSP. Seeking advice from PSP owners.

How's the battery life? Can't imagine it holding up very long, and there's probably no way to buy a good (new) one.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network
Solid-Stark said:
How's the battery life? Can't imagine it holding up very long, and there's probably no way to buy a good (new) one.

I haven't done an official test yet, but so far it seems good. The last PSPs rolled off the production line in 2014, so the ten year lifespan of a lot of the batteries isn't quite gone yet. I'll do an official test when I go on vacation on March 5th. 

But yeah, my hope is to find one of the Japanese-Only extended life fat batteries for it. Hopefully one that was made in 2015 or 2016. Something like that would hold a charge for 6-9 hours on the slimmer model PSP. Either that or find an E1000 model from PAL region that rolled off the line in 2014. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Just picked one up, and a few games. See update in OP.

That ability to backup games from disc to the system sounds like a homebrew, what is the firmware of the Psp you got?

1. Turn on your PSP.
  2. In the XMB, go to Settings.
  3. Look for System Settings and select it.
  4. Go all the way to the end of the options and select System Information.
  5. There you will see your System Software (Which is your Firmware
Wouldn't mind knowing that as I don't think the system ever natively supported taking backups from discs. Almost certain in fact that you cannot.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

I got my PSP very late too (in 2012) and my favorite were Chrono Cross, Archibald's Adventures and Full Throttle (through the SCUMM program).

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

super worth it just for homebrew. you can also get a produo to micro sd adapter thats pretty useful. i still use mine for a gba and snes pretty often. also dumping games on a psp is easy and can eliminate the umd drive consuming battery.

Around the Network
Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
Just picked one up, and a few games. See update in OP.

That ability to backup games from disc to the system sounds like a homebrew, what is the firmware of the Psp you got?

1. Turn on your PSP.
Wouldn't mind knowing that as I don't think the system ever natively supported taking backups from discs. Almost certain in fact that you cannot.

Nope, it's not homebrew. Peace Walker backsup to the Memory card. It's built into the start screen of Peace Walker, and the actual manual for the game references it. I auto-updated to firmware 6.6 shortly after I got it. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

1. Turn on your PSP.

Nope, it's not homebrew. Peace Walker backsup to the Memory card. It's built into the start screen of Peace Walker, and the actual manual for the game references it. I auto-updated to firmware 6.6 shortly after I got it. 

Oh okay, that's quite different to the OP and there are a few games which do support a feature like that, but.... it's used very rarely by titles and they still run from umd and mem stick combined to decrease the load times but at the same time that feature increases the battery use by a little bit.

There is Custom Firmware versions which allow you to shift entire games from UMD to the Mem stick from the main menu and I was just thinking you might have picked up a psp which was already modified since there is a ton of custom firmware'd machines out in the wild now.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Ganoncrotch said:
Cerebralbore101 said:

Oh okay, that's quite different to the OP and there are a few games which do support a feature like that, but.... it's used very rarely by titles and they still run from umd and mem stick combined to decrease the load times but at the same time that feature increases the battery use by a little bit.

There is Custom Firmware versions which allow you to shift entire games from UMD to the Mem stick from the main menu and I was just thinking you might have picked up a psp which was already modified since there is a ton of custom firmware'd machines out in the wild now.

Yeah, I may have to heavily mod my PSP. I mean, online is pretty much dead now anyway. I'll have to find a good tech expert to put together a modern battery pack for it, and then do custom firmware, so the disk doesn't have to constantly spin up. 

Cerebralbore101 said:
Ganoncrotch said:

Yeah, I may have to heavily mod my PSP. I mean, online is pretty much dead now anyway. I'll have to find a good tech expert to put together a modern battery pack for it, and then do custom firmware, so the disk doesn't have to constantly spin up. 

Cfw for the psp is super easy . Google gbatemp and check their psp section

Solid-Stark said:

Tested it on the Plane home from vacation. Lasted 4 hours on Jeane D'Arc. That's a game with PS2ish graphics, but still really good. Looks like I lucked out. My battery must be newer than the PSP. 

What I really want though, is one of those E1000 models that were sold in Europe. Those were the last PSPs to roll off the production line, so their batteries should be good until 2024. Too bad, I live in the USA, so getting one NIB would be difficult.