By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Crackdown 3 Review Thread - MC: 60 OC: 62

Tagged games:

LudicrousSpeed said:
Runa216 said:

Just as a general statement, y'all need to stop devaluing negative reviews just so you can feel good about yourselves.

People are discussing the reviews compared to their own opinions. That's not "devaluing" them so much as it's just simple criticism. I don't know how that would make anyone "feel good" about themselves either, do you get emotional about video game reviews? What about music reviews or movie reviews?

Runa216 said:

Bad or middling reviews don't mean a game doesn't have value. A game can get a 5/10 and still be enjoyable for certain people, you know. A game like this which has an average review aggregate around 60% means that it's overall not good (especially when compared to other games similar to it, within its genre, or overall), but that doesn't mean it's not fun.

I think that's the gist of what almost every person who has chimed in with an opinion on the game has said. That regardless of review scores, the game is just fun. Some people put that atop their chart in terms of importance in a game, so they disagree with the scores more strongly than others.

Runa216 said:
I actually kinda feel sorry for anyone desperate enough to cling to such small victories. What sort of gaming life do you have that THIS is the hill you want to die upon?

But a comment like this puzzles me. There's been pretty much nothing but simple debate about various things in the thread, you're again harping on some deeper emotional reaction that I just haven't seen yet in this thread. What "small victories" are you referring to? What hill are we supposed to be dying on? I haven't seen anyone irrational or really even upset in the thread. Just simple discussion about the scores.

Regarding your GameRankings stuff, that's all cool and all, but your criteria and critique seem to be all over the place. You're referencing Microsoft's own internally developed games but then you seem to be listing all sorts of PS4 games as "Sony" even though for a lot of them, they had nothing to do with the games. For example, 12 games or higher at 80%, released in 2018, with 20+ reviews. Cool. When it comes to "Sony games", I count:

MLB The Show
Astro Bot
God of War

That's it for internally developed games, unless I'm missing something? There's also the Shadow of Colossus port but idk if you're counting that or not. The rest are third party games that for one reason or another are exclusive to PS4 with no Sony involvement except in the case of Spider-Man, they got the rights to make a SM game and picked Insomniac. My point being that yeah, two of those three games I listed are widely regarded as great, among the best in their genre games, but it's two games. They just signed like 6 or 7 studios. It's not the end of the world, lol.

And you're confusing personal taste with brand loyalty. Perhaps don't be so emotional when you're posting, assuming you know the feelings and reasonings and motives, trying to play chess while we're just playing checkers. Because it doesn't have to be "brand loyalty". Lots of us also own PS4's and play PS4 games. I'll get more enjoyment out of Crackdown 3 than I have out of God of War thus far, doesn't have shit to do with any "brand loyalty", lol.

And no, it's not really a problem for some of us that Nintendo has amassed a better exclusive lineup than Microsoft already (though its debatable) because not all of us game on Xbox for Microsoft exclusives and also, Nintendo games are literally the ONLY reason to own a Nintendo console as they get next to zero third party support, so the exclusives had better be good. That said, for those gamers who want more exclusives, which outnumber those of us who don't give a shit, again, MS is taking care of them too.

I made my criteria VERY simple: Games that existed on one of the three consoles but not the other two. (At least not in 2018 or 2017). so something like Spider-Man, which was developed by Insomniac but not by Sony, counts. Ni No Kuni II counts. Yakuza counts. Octopath Traveller Counts. 

It's funny to see this much dissention trying to devalue the stats and numbers I've presented. I took some data, I made an assertion based on that data (that Xbox has no good exclusives anymore), and yet something as simple and straightforward as that is STILL somehow cause for contention. I don't get. Can't be anything BUT brand loyalty driving people to dispute facts and figures. 

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The Digital Foundry video I'm suggesting you watch isn't a review though.

On Metacritic, plenty of games have scored in the 50s or lower. Crackdown 3 is probably the best game ever to score 60 on Metacritic.

It is a valid opinion that it is the best game to reach 60 or below, I would really have to look all other games that got lower and would take a good time. And since it seems that only a fraction of CD3 thinks it I don't think there is much point on this. The critics aren't collectively lying or being obtusely harsh. The game may just not reach consensus of good even if on fanbase it is considered quite good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWQ84OLlQeI

Watched this from DF and not impressive, the guys analyzing aren't impressed as well, putting it below Red Guerilla.

Textures are very plain, objects seems like type of polygon from PS1-PS2 on how simplistic and pointy they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Lks6E81EWE&t=1036s

I would counter with DF campaign video. 

Got my firearms up to level 5 and unlocked the Gravitron or whatever. Some pretty amazing combos can be set up with it. The Demolisher or whatever the powerful pistol is... shit wrecks people. Even on the hardest difficulty I one shot people.

I’ve got three of the bosses down, three more to go I guess.

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

The Digital Foundry video I'm suggesting you watch isn't a review though.

On Metacritic, plenty of games have scored in the 50s or lower. Crackdown 3 is probably the best game ever to score 60 on Metacritic.

It is a valid opinion that it is the best game to reach 60 or below, I would really have to look all other games that got lower and would take a good time. And since it seems that only a fraction of CD3 thinks it I don't think there is much point on this. The critics aren't collectively lying or being obtusely harsh. The game may just not reach consensus of good even if on fanbase it is considered quite good.

Watched this from DF and not impressive, the guys analyzing aren't impressed as well, putting it below Red Guerilla.

Textures are very plain, objects seems like type of polygon from PS1-PS2 on how simplistic and pointy they are.

You saw the wrong video. I said the campaign video.

By the way I didn't say it has amazing graphics, I said its polished. It has has a high resolution for X1, fairly stable performance, the assets arent highly detailed but look good, tons of effects, its just a nice looking game. People usually expect less from UE4.

Kinda makes me think of Nintendo games. Its simplistic, cartoonish and great use of color. It the not something you boast about but I like the visuals.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

It's already getting reduced in price
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-02-21-crackdown-3-crash-lands-to-under-gbp30-already

I did watch the DF video when the game came out. It didn't look all that much fun yet who knows. Crackdown 1 was fun for a little bit but I never got into it. I doubt this sequel/remake will alter my opinion. When I feel like mindlessly blowing things up I usually go to a bullet hell shooter.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

By the way I didn't say it has amazing graphics, I said its polished. It has has a high resolution for X1, fairly stable performance, the assets arent highly detailed but look good, tons of effects, its just a nice looking game. People usually expect less from UE4.

Kinda makes me think of Nintendo games. Its simplistic, cartoonish and great use of color. It the not something you boast about but I like the visuals.

Isn't multiplayer also part of the game? Should the reviewer pretend it isn't part of the game?

I'll watch the single player tomorrow.

Not even polished, and wouldn't even say good graphics. Who expect less than Crackdown 3 from UE4?

Sorry man, but Zelda, Mario 3D, and couple other games on Switch look better than CD3 for a fraction of the power, and that is on higher framerate, more stable and probably taking less time.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Isn't multiplayer also part of the game? Should the reviewer pretend it isn't part of the game?

Not even polished, and wouldn't even say good graphics. Who expect less than Crackdown 3 from UE4?

Sorry man, but Zelda, Mario 3D, and couple other games on Switch look better than CD3 for a fraction of the power, and that is on higher framerate, more stable and probably taking less time.

Is anybody saying good things about the MP? Its just there. Not terrible, kinda interesting, but not reflective of the campaign content.

If Crackdown 3 was on Switch it would be dynamic 480p-720p and still have scaled back visuals (refer to the UE4 game Ark). Anywho, still reminds me of Nintendo games for somewhat simplistic but polished visuals.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
DonFerrari said:

Is anybody saying good things about the MP? Its just there. Not terrible, kinda interesting, but not reflective of the campaign content.

If Crackdown 3 was on Switch it would be dynamic 480p-720p and still have scaled back visuals (refer to the UE4 game Ark). Anywho, still reminds me of Nintendo games for somewhat simplistic but polished visuals.

Cetainly CD3 would need to be scaled back for Switch, but that due to how bad the optimization is. I'll repeat, I find plenty of Switch games to look better than CD3.

So if the MP is bad then it naturally drags the score down.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

yvanjean said:

I think it's a fun & enjoyable game that deserve a better score because you have the option to play it with gamepass. 

Hunting Season is done...

Guess I was wrong on the number of bosses, I thought there were 6, there are more.

I took out Quist last night, it was a fun boss fight. He had the typical shield you had to wear down multiple times to deal actual damage to him but I enjoyed how the fight was done in three stages, each with some nice platforming done in between. There are a lot of things this does better than CD1, the platforming is definitely one of them.