By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - GOW becomes the most critically awarded exclusive this gen

Comparing absolute numbers based on relative situations is the most absurd thing i've seen..

You can't compare a number based on the total of GOTY's "X game" won in a year compared to the number "Y game" won in other year, because the success of the game is relative to competition.

In other words, RDR 2 could have won 350 goty's if the competion of the year was Watch Dogs, SW Battelfront 2 and The Order 1886. And then in another year, in that same year have The Witcher III winning 115 goty's, Zelda BOTW winning 114 goty's and GOW winning 113 goty's. That wouldn't mean RDR 2 is a better game than any of those. It would be absolutely unfair to these other games that had a way harder competition to be rewarded by a GOTY.

I have this same problem when in a sport a player is considered better than other from another age because he did "better" numbers or won more titles. You can't compare that because both are not competing in the same space against the same competiton. Rules change, competition change, rivals change, expectations change.....in conclusion it'absurd.

So winning more GOTY's or having a better %s doesn't mean anything if all the games that you want to compare are not evaluated in the exact same circumstances.

Around the Network

Usual suspects are of course being usual suspects lol. Way to play the stereotype guys.

"Say what you want about Americans but we understand Capitalism.You buy yourself a product and you Get What You Pay For."  

- Max Payne 3

colafitte said:
Comparing absolute numbers based on relative situations is the most absurd thing i've seen..

You can't compare a number based on the total of GOTY's "X game" won in a year compared to the number "Y game" won in other year, because the success of the game is relative to competition.

In other words, RDR 2 could have won 350 goty's if the competion of the year was Watch Dogs, SW Battelfront 2 and The Order 1886. And then in another year, in that same year have The Witcher III winning 115 goty's, Zelda BOTW winning 114 goty's and GOW winning 113 goty's. That wouldn't mean RDR 2 is a better game than any of those. It would be absolutely unfair to these other games that had a way harder competition to be rewarded by a GOTY.

I have this same problem when in a sport a player is considered better than other from another age because he did "better" numbers or won more titles. You can't compare that because both are not competing in the same space against the same competiton. Rules change, competition change, rivals change, expectations change.....in conclusion it'absurd.

So winning more GOTY's or having a better %s doesn't mean anything if all the games that you want to compare are not evaluated in the exact same circumstances.

Spot on. Nothing against the awards but 1 game winning more one year doesnt reflect the full story. Competition is the point here. Looking at the top10 graph most games these days win more than 100+ GOTY awards and thats due to oversatuation in the awards that play a roll in it.

Some of the best games ever made only won dozen GOTY awards and by default the 2019 GOTY will surpass them by easily winning more than 50 to 100 awards due to the quantity of publishers out there.

Kerotan said:
Azzanation said:

So many GOTY awards givin out. Very soon we Will start seeing games winning 300+ and than 400+
The award has become so saturated i stopped caring.
Credit to those games in the top 10 but for me, the awards have lost alot of meaning for me.

The number of a awards this year and last year is actually down on lot compared to years gone by so fear not! 

How do we know this?

CGI-Quality said:
colafitte said:

The problem with the idea of of "fairness" is that it actually holds less weight than you're giving it. Just because a game may/may not have seen more competition for GOTY in a given year does not mean it wouldn't have still retained the number of GOTY totals that it did. Example: "If The Last Of Us hadn't gone up against GTA V, it may have won even more GOTY awards". Well, you just can't know that. What if the PS3 had launched at $399? Guaranteed victory over the Wii? You can "what if" till the sky turns pink, but that doesn't make this comparison any less valid.

Thus, unless you plan to have this view every time a game reaches this point, it is a pointless complaint to make. Games get counted relative to the time. 

The Last of Us is my favorite game ever and GOW is my game of the gen, and i still think these comparisons are absurd. You receive an award based in a pool of candidates to receive that award. If i'm an athelete that runs 100m and my time is 10'50 segs, i'm going to win against anybody that is not a professional athlete, and i will win many races, but if a compete against professional olympic athletes i'm going to be dead last.

Game of the Year is an award that identify the best game from a selection of the games that launched in a specific year, so the game that wins can't be separted from the rest of games that don't win. GOW it's game of the year 2019 against RDR2, AC Odyssey, Spiderman, Smash Bros, etc.......but only against them, not against TW3 or BOTW. I'm not "what if" anything. What i'm saying is that the only thing that you can compare is the games that participated in the same circumstances for the GOTY in 2019. Saying GOW surpassed Zelda BOTW for the most GOTY of the gen is more entering in the "what if" scenario than my opinion, because what you're doing here is "what if we compare how many GOTY's won the game that won the most from 2019 against any other from this gen?". What i'm saying is....don't do that.

All of this only serve for curious coincidences, but this thread is called "GOW becomes the most critically awarded this gen" and that is the kind of half truth that i always rant against. In this case, even if it's against my favorite game of the year.

Edit: now i see your edit

Games get counted relative to the time. I see nothing wrong with that. Otherwise, Ocarina of Time's 99 Metascore should hold less weight than God of War's 94, right? 

It just doesn't work like that.

Of course i agree on that, i'm not saying games don't get counted relative to the time. I'm not discussing this. I'm not arguing the metascore a game receives. I'm discussing the number of gotys. It's absurd to compare the, what, 15-20 GOTY? Ocarina of Time received back in 98 to any game that comes in 2019. But you don't have to go that far. The point is that you can't compare the value of an individual if is not compared to the colective. Anything is relative. So comparing to relative numbers don't give you an absolute or a fact, at least in the way this thread was created. 

Last edited by colafitte - on 14 February 2019

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
colafitte said:

The Last of Us is my favorite game ever and GOW is my game of the gen, and i still think these comparisons are absurd. You receive an award based in a pool of candidates to receive that award. If i'm an athelete that runs 100m and my time is 10'50 segs, i'm going to win against anybody that is not a professional athlete, and i will win many races, but if a compete against professional olympic athletes i'm going to be dead last.

Game of the Year is an award that identify the best game from a selection of the games that launched in a specific year, so the game that wins can't be separted from the rest of games that don't win. GOW it's game of the year 2019 against RDR2, AC Odyssey, Spiderman, Smash Bros, etc.......but only against them, not against TW3 or BOTW. I'm not "what if" anything. What i'm saying is that the only thing that you can compare is the games that participated in the same circumstances for the GOTY in 2019. Saying GOW surpassed Zelda BOTW for the most GOTY of the gen is more entering in the "what if" scenario than my opinion, because what you're doing here is "what if we compare how many GOTY's won the game that won the most from 2019 against any other from this gen?". What i'm saying is....don't do that.

All of this only serve for curious coincidences, but this thread is called "GOW becomes the most critically awarded this gen" and that is the kind of half truth that i always rant against. In this case, even if it's against my favorite game of the year.

Yes, you did "what if" in the previous post.

Still, I stand by what I said, and it has nothing to do with which games you prefer/don't prefer. These things makes sense to be compared with games that came before them. It didn't start with God of War and it won't end with it either. My analogies are the best things to consider — Ocarina of Time's 99 MC is no less valid than God of War's 94 MC, regardless of 22 reviews vs 113.

You're comparing apples to oranges now....XD. If you want to use Ocarina of time as an example, i will use it too. MGS would have won most GOTY that year (if they tracked things like this back then) if Ocarina of Time didn't released that year or never existed. That's my point. I'm not discussing the metascore of the games. What i'm saying is that the absolute number of GOTY you receive depends on the competion. So GOW will be the same great game if it receives 113 GOTYs or 250. That number is irrelevant to me. 

CGI-Quality said:
colafitte said:

You're comparing apples to oranges now....XD. If you want to use Ocarina of time as an example, i will use it too. MGS would have won most GOTY that year (if they tracked things like this back then) if Ocarina of Time didn't released that year or never existed. That's my point. I'm not discussing the metascore of the games. What i'm saying is that the absolute number of GOTY you receive depends on the competion. So GOW will be the same great game if it receives 113 GOTYs or 250. That number is irrelevant to me. 

It is not apples to oranges at all (and you're clearly missing how it works into the point). It isn't about the Metascores themselves. The basis for your argument is validity. That "God of War's GOTY amount can't be compared to games that came before it..... because those games saw different levels of competition, less publication GOTY awards, etc... I'm saying that it doesn't work like that and the Metascore analogy pinpoints why. 

I don't understand why Metascore has anything to do with what i'm saying to be honest. I don't see how invalidates my point at all....

This thread was about GOW surpassing BOTW as the game with most GOTY's of this gen. I never mentioned GOW not being better than BOTW because any other reason. And what i said is that it doesn't mean anything more than a curiosity number. People can find it fun, or interesting, and what i'm saying is that this comparison doesn't have any more value for me than accepting that 190 is a bigger number than 189. For me GOW did not surpassed BOTW because they didn't compete in the same race.

The game that won the most GOTY of 2018 achieved more awards than the game that won the most GOTY in 2017. There is no more meaning behind that.

But ok, people can see what they want to see. I tried to explain my point of view the best way i can. I guess you can't expect everyone seeing the same things as you.

CGI-Quality said:
colafitte said:

I don't understand why Metascore has anything to do with what i'm saying to be honest. I don't see how invalidates my point at all....

This thread was about GOW surpassing BOTW as the game with most GOTY's of this gen. I never mentioned GOW not being better than BOTW because any other reason. And what i said is that it doesn't mean anything more than a curiosity number. People can find it fun, or interesting, and what i'm saying is that this comparison doesn't have any more value for me than accepting that 190 is a bigger number than 189. For me GOW did not surpassed BOTW because they didn't compete in the same race.

The game that won the most GOTY of 2018 achieved more awards than the game that won the most GOTY in 2017. There is no more meaning behind that.

But ok, people can see what they want to see. I tried to explain my point of view the best way i can. I guess you can't expect everyone seeing the same things as you.

You don't have to see it my way. You've argued for opinion (preferences for the games), where I have not, as it isn't relevant to anything. I'm simply telling you why you cannot write off the topic as invalid based on your variables. However, I'm happy to oblige and agree to disagree.

Oh, the reason why i said i liked those games is because i suspect i was accused of being an "usual suspect" again, this time against PS4 and their games, which i find really funny...XD. Don't give more importance to that comment than i intended. 

But point taken. I guess you suffered today the dosis of arguing agaisnt me. I'm "duro de mollera" like we say in Spain...., i don't know how to say it in english. Let's say i'm "stubborn" yo say the least. But i was only giving my point of view. That's why i post here. I don't expect everybody to agree with me. Good lord, it would be really boring then.

All of those games could be played on a playstation except for Zelda.

Drakrami said:
All of those games could be played on a playstation except for Zelda.

I get what you're saying and I completely agree.

Heavy Playstation bias to the point that I can't take anything on this list seriously and I am now going to live in a state of denial because of it!