By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Playstation 4 is the 2nd best selling home console ever in the "Rest of the World"

collint0101 said:
I'm honestly more focused on the huge gap between the ps2 and everything else

Still room for improvement :)
Just shows the PS4 isnt done yet..... Sony "should" give it a perm price drop, so sales in RoW stays healthy or even accelerates near the end.

Around the Network

I'm more surprised to see that the PSOne is not on that list...🤔

Colocho said:
I'm more surprised to see that the PSOne is not on that list...🤔

According to the platform totals on this site, PS1 sold 9.04m in ROTW, probably forgotten to include it. 

Rest of the world = PlayStation land since the PSX.

PS2 : 25.57 m

PS4 : 16.21 m

PSP : 15.26 m

PS3 : 12.46 m

PS1 : 9.04 m

PSV : 2.41 m

Last edited by Evilms - on 09 February 2019

Shadow1980 said:
Considering that official end-life sales totals for consoles are technically still shipments (it's just once the last batches of systems are shipped and remaining supply sold off in stores, sales finally do equal shipments), I fail to see how piracy counts towards lifetime system sales. I mean, were Sony shipping bootleg PS2s themselves or something? As far as I'm aware, all the official final lifetime tallies for consoles that we have includes only legit new systems sold by retailers, not bootleg or other second-hand market sales.

I see no problem in math here - buy new console, hack it, or have someone do it, play pirated games. Only cost is new console and perhaps hacking, all else is free.
This happened a lot in PS2 era, this is happening now with PS4 to some degree - new consoles being sold, then hacked - they count in those totals. Sooner the popular console is hacked, sooner it picks up in RoW.

Around the Network

With Nintendo... Remember, they'd have to build a distribution nexwork from scratch if they want to start pushing in anywhere that's not the big 3. It just... Isn't usually worth it. One of the bigger small reigion HQs, Korea, has always been sort of a reason why drain outside of pkmn...
Meanwhile MS and Sony can piggyback off of Sony and windows distribution respectively which exsist in almost every nation already anyway.

Shadow1980 said:
Considering that official end-life sales totals for consoles are technically still shipments (it's just once the last batches of systems are shipped and remaining supply sold off in stores, sales finally do equal shipments), I fail to see how piracy counts towards lifetime system sales. I mean, were Sony shipping bootleg PS2s themselves or something? As far as I'm aware, all the official final lifetime tallies for consoles that we have includes only legit new systems sold by retailers, not bootleg or other second-hand market sales.

Shadow1980 said:
HoloDust said:

I see no problem in math here - buy new console, hack it, or have someone do it, play pirated games. Only cost is new console and perhaps hacking, all else is free.
This happened a lot in PS2 era, this is happening now with PS4 to some degree - new consoles being sold, then hacked - they count in those totals. Sooner the popular console is hacked, sooner it picks up in RoW.

For the console to be hacked, someone has to buy a new legit console from a retailer. And if they sell that hacked console, that doesn't count towards sales figures. Second-hand sales are never tracked. They don't count as part of shipment figures, and they're not part of the retail chain tracked by the likes of NPD or Media Create. Therefore, none of the 155M PS2s counted in that total were hacked systems when shipped to retailers or initially sold to customers at said retailers. Therefore, the PS2s sales total was not inflated by hacked systems.

It is. The thinking for som people in a developing country where salary is 500 uss a month is like this. 

If there is hardware piracy:

"The Hacked console cost me 300 USS, all the games are free. Im going to buy it". So he buys the console to the guy that chipped it, that guy sells the console  to the buyer and order another original one from retailers  for the next guy that wants one chipped. Sony earns 1 sell.

(The guy that chipped the console order consoles from retailers. If many guys sell many chipped consoles from retailers, Sony will increase shipments. )

if there isn´t hardware piracy:

"The non Hacked one cost me 300, games cost me 60 uss each. I can´t afford to play at that cost. Im not buying anything. Sony doesn´t earn anything. "

Hence, when consoles are pirated, the number of consoles sold increase, inflating the number of total systems sold.

The PS2 was pirated and that was one of the reasons that increased total sales. 

Shadow1980 said:
HoloDust said:

For the console to be hacked, someone has to buy a new legit console from a retailer. And if they sell that hacked console, that doesn't count towards sales figures. Second-hand sales are never tracked. They don't count as part of shipment figures, and they're not part of the retail chain tracked by the likes of NPD or Media Create. Therefore, none of the 155M PS2s counted in that total were hacked systems when shipped to retailers or initially sold to customers at said retailers. Therefore, the PS2s sales total was not inflated by hacked systems.

I dont think you are quite understanding him. A console getting hacked increases demand in these smaller, poorer countries. Hes not saying that Sony is shipping hacked consoles.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I know Nintendo has a decent presence in Australia and South Korea. Not sure about any of the other RoW countries. Sony, on the other hand, I'm sure they can sell a Playstation in any country where they have already sold a TV or stereo or some other type of electronics.

CrazyGPU said:
Shadow1980 said:

Shadow1980 said:

It is. The thinking for som people in a developing country where salary is 500 uss a month is like this. 

If there is hardware piracy:

"The Hacked console cost me 300 USS, all the games are free. Im going to buy it". So he buys the console to the guy that chipped it, that guy sells the console  to the buyer and order another original one from retailers  for the next guy that wants one chipped. Sony earns 1 sell.

(The guy that chipped the console order consoles from retailers. If many guys sell many chipped consoles from retailers, Sony will increase shipments. )

if there isn´t hardware piracy:

"The non Hacked one cost me 300, games cost me 60 uss each. I can´t afford to play at that cost. Im not buying anything. Sony doesn´t earn anything. "

Hence, when consoles are pirated, the number of consoles sold increase, inflating the number of total systems sold.

The PS2 was pirated and that was one of the reasons that increased total sales.