By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 24 30.00%

Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 13 16.25%

Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 21 26.25%

Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 12.50%

Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 6.25%

Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 7 8.75%

Total:80
Trumpstyle said:
So far everything is looking good for me, Xbox two (Lockhart) will be a 1080p machine, PS5 will be a 1440p+ machine and Xbox two+ (Anaconda) will be a sub 4K machine.

Exactly how things are now between PS4, PS4 pro and Xbox one X.

lol... this is kinda funny.

There is not a chance in hell PS5 will be a 1440p machine. Both sony and MS are going to look at what is needed to have native 4k and exceed that by a decent margin. And since they are both shopping from the same shop, they will end up with near identical hardware.

You honestly believe that the min thing that made the PS4 win the XB1 at the start of this gen is something they will suddenly not care about at the start of next gen? There is no way sony is going to allow MS be able to say True or the only 4k console fr the next 6 years. Like think about it and you see how little sense it makes.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

Correct. Maybe it's because I am financially better off than some people and don't really give a crap about $100-$200 extra? I dunno.

So you being well off means you dont see the point in a more affordable version for people who arent as well off as you? That seems like a really selfish and arrogant way of thinking.

Sure. I don't mind being called selfish and arrogant. - How many lives have you saved this week?

Back on track though... Income is all relative, some people earn more, some people earn less and because of such some people place a greater emphasis on the worth of a dollar than someone else... And that is perfectly fine, perfectly normal.
Thus I personally don't see the point of a weaker, cheaper console, it just holds back graphics development in my opinion.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

So you being well off means you dont see the point in a more affordable version for people who arent as well off as you? That seems like a really selfish and arrogant way of thinking.

Sure. I don't mind being called selfish and arrogant. - How many lives have you saved this week?

Back on track though... Income is all relative, some people earn more, some people earn less and because of such some people place a greater emphasis on the worth of a dollar than someone else... And that is perfectly fine, perfectly normal.
Thus I personally don't see the point of a weaker, cheaper console, it just holds back graphics development in my opinion.

Indirectly probably alot, good luck putting out those fires without the water mains and fire hydrants I install my career has a higher death rate than yours so I put my life on the line everyday just like you.

Jokes aside, I dont think your selfish or arrogant, I just think that previous statement came off as such. It just sounded like, "I dont care what others want, as long as I get what I want" which I'm sure wasnt how you intended it but that's how it came off to me so if I misinterpreted than that's my bad.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Biggerboat1 said:
thismeintiel said:

This.  There is a HUGE difference between a mid-gen upgrade and a launch console.  Most don't feel the upgrades were worth the price when they could just wait it out and buy an incredibly more powerful system next gen for around the same price.  The OG PS4 and XBOs still play all the same games as the upgrades.  Now, when we get to a new gen, people are going to be looking for an actual upgrade.  And advertising 1080p on a box in 2020 just isn't going to appeal to many. 

The 4 Tflops is also going to turn people off.  Sure, we've heard it a million times that Tflops aren't everything, which is true, but like it or not, that's just the number that is given.  Yes, a 4 Tflops Navi will be better than a 4.2 Tflops Polaris that's in the Pro, especially with the new CPU, but people won't be looking at it like that.  And it gets worse when its compared to the 6 Tflops X.  It just makes that console look pointless and weak.

As for the last line, definitely agree.  If Sony has the most powerful console, again, coupled with B/C with the PS4 (hopefully more) out of the gate, and it's for the same price as the Anaconda, I imagine next gen to be pretty easy for them.

Neither do I.  We're going to have over 1/3 of households with 4K TVs sometime this year in the US, if it hasn't happened already.  In one more year, with all of the great deals, it will probably be approaching 1/2.  I just don't see the point in advertising 1080p on the box in a world where everything is going to be pushing 4K.  Not to mention that those games are going to be more gimped than just by having a lower resolution.  Seems pointless when you can probably spend another $100 and get a premium console.

I think MS's mistake is thinking that the PS4 won greatly because of the launch price difference.  So, if they can get a $100 cheaper box out there at launch, even though it's underpowered, it will greatly increase their chances.  Of course, the price difference means nothing when compared to the perceived value of the product.  Even if the XBO launched at $399, it wouldn't have changed much.  They still had the DRM fiasco.  And the PS4 was just blatantly more powerful than the XBO, and had the PS name and history, so it had a better perceived value. 

I think you're making the mistake of assuming the average gamer is as clued up about tech specs as the average member of this forum.

Even on this forum I'd say there is a general feeling that the 1080 to 4K jump is diminishing returns. If the same game is running side by side on those rumoured Xbox skus on anything less than a 65" TV I don't think the average gamer is going to notice much of a difference & the lower sku may in fact be the console that makes most sense to many gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I'd personally plump for the superior sku but that's because I have a bad case of tech fomo - can't help myself. Though I do intend on upgrading from my 55" oled to 77-85" in the next year or 2 - at which point that extra grunt will really show in a meaningful way. But most gamers won't have a 77-85" tv any time soon!

The jump in power, resolution and so on can be the same as other generations, but as I said before, the jump will be the smallest of all between generations, and that´s not because teraflops or bandwith, its because hoy much closer we are to great graphics. The CPU is not going to change that, cause I´m talking about graphics, not physics.

We had PS1, let´s think about it as something that could draw a circle with 4 sides (a square). Very poligonal 3D objects.

of course in this example  the jumps are doubling every time,  but it´s not literal as console jumps are far larger, but its ilustrative. The fact that are greater support my point even further.

Then we had PS2, let´s think about it as something that doubled the sides and draw a circle like an octogon  instead of a square( doubling the vertex number, much closer look as a circle)

now PS3 doubling again and could draw the circle as a sixteen side poligon, even closer than a circle,

PS4 would give you a thirty two side poligon. Try to draw it.

And it doesn´t matter if your next jump do more than that, a 128 side poligon , despite is a quadruple jump from 32, would feel far less important than a jump from 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. The perceived quality will diminish no matter how much pixels are you pushing. The 32 side circle would be much closer to reality than getting from 4 to 16. 

Of course there is more to graphics than poligons and resolution, but the thinking is the same. I don´t think that lighting for example will vary a lot from ps4 to ps5. maybe PS6 if comes to reality would be able to implement aceptable ray tracing graphics, but we aren´t there yet.

Same with consoles, I saw Gran Turismo Sport in 4k and with some more anti aliasing and native 4k I would say that GTS is much closer to reality (The jump from GTS to the real thing) than the jump from poligonal PS2 GT3 to PS4 GTS, no matter if you have to get to 200 Teraflops to get close to reality graphics. 

So the perceived jump will be the smallest of all gens and as I posted before I´m wondering if for many people PS5 would be good enough graphics and start to don´t care any more. 

After all , PS4 is selling 4 times more standar consoles than the pro. The Switch is selling like Hot cakes and its (with generosity) a 1080p machine with flat textures compared to ps4 or xbox. 

What I really think it will make the difference is games. Many people would not care about graphics , but will care about playing Last of US 2, GOW 2, Horizon 2, Death Stranding and so on, and if Sony, like Microsoft, sells a 4 TF machine with new CPU and plays those games at 1080p, many that feel that graphics are enough will buy those cheap consoles to run those games, cause the new machines base line will be Ryzen and 16 GB of mem and it will run them .

If Microsoft gets a better lineup and adds to it with Forza, Halo, Gears and the 5 o 6 studios that bought last year make good games, they might sell well the less powerfull machine and make money from it. 

It also will depend on the price.  Many tech companies have mid range products and premium products now, and that let them increase their average selling price. 

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

You know it makes sense but you also dont see the point?

The point is that people who choose Lockhart over Anaconda are likely going to be people who value price over visuals.

Correct. Maybe it's because I am financially better off than some people and don't really give a crap about $100-$200 extra? I dunno.

thismeintiel said:

Neither do I.  We're going to have over 1/3 of households with 4K TVs sometime this year in the US, if it hasn't happened already.  In one more year, with all of the great deals, it will probably be approaching 1/2.  I just don't see the point in advertising 1080p on the box in a world where everything is going to be pushing 4K.  Not to mention that those games are going to be more gimped than just by having a lower resolution.  Seems pointless when you can probably spend another $100 and get a premium console.

I think MS's mistake is thinking that the PS4 won greatly because of the launch price difference.  So, if they can get a $100 cheaper box out there at launch, even though it's underpowered, it will greatly increase their chances.  Of course, the price difference means nothing when compared to the perceived value of the product.  Even if the XBO launched at $399, it wouldn't have changed much.  They still had the DRM fiasco.  And the PS4 was just blatantly more powerful than the XBO, and had the PS name and history, so it had a better perceived value. 

Resolution Gate and price were the biggest factors.
At the end of the day... The Xbox One was not only more expensive, it offered inferior visuals compared to the Playstation 4... Consumers took note and voted with their wallets and good on them.

I think next time around Microsoft is going to try and appeal to both segments with multiple SKU's... It makes sense, but could also confuse consumers who have absolutely no idea what a Flop is... Or that a Ram is some kind of animal that they can eat.

Personally I would just prefer something with the absolute best bang-for-buck possible... I am going to buy it either way... And the Premium device that comes out a few years later as well.

I'd say the after effects of the DRM fiasco are more responsible for its outcome than the price.  MS lost the confidence and trust of many gamers after that was revealed.  Even though they reversed it once they saw the poor preorders, some gamers just weren't coming back.  Even with the large price difference, that still wasn't as bad as the $200 difference PS3 had to deal with, it still sold really well for the first couple of months on the market, almost as well as the PS4.  And it was 6 months after those launch months that they dropped the price.  But, even at the same price, and A LOT of times on sale for $50+ cheaper (sometimes w/game), it still didn't have the same perceived value as the PS4.  Even this past Jan, the PS4 came close to outselling the XBO by 2:1 in the US, even though the XBO was effectively selling for $199 ($220 w/ game vs $299 with no game.)

In the end, I don't see a 1080p box being very appealing if for $100 more people can get a premium console that is ~3x the power.  If it were $200 less than the Anaconda/PS5, launching at $199, you may have something. 

Around the Network

Brilliant, MS releasing a weaker console, talk about crippling your stronger one. Hopefully PS are not stupid enough to do the same. Personally another headache for developers.

Biggerboat1 said:
thismeintiel said:

This.  There is a HUGE difference between a mid-gen upgrade and a launch console.  Most don't feel the upgrades were worth the price when they could just wait it out and buy an incredibly more powerful system next gen for around the same price.  The OG PS4 and XBOs still play all the same games as the upgrades.  Now, when we get to a new gen, people are going to be looking for an actual upgrade.  And advertising 1080p on a box in 2020 just isn't going to appeal to many. 

The 4 Tflops is also going to turn people off.  Sure, we've heard it a million times that Tflops aren't everything, which is true, but like it or not, that's just the number that is given.  Yes, a 4 Tflops Navi will be better than a 4.2 Tflops Polaris that's in the Pro, especially with the new CPU, but people won't be looking at it like that.  And it gets worse when its compared to the 6 Tflops X.  It just makes that console look pointless and weak.

As for the last line, definitely agree.  If Sony has the most powerful console, again, coupled with B/C with the PS4 (hopefully more) out of the gate, and it's for the same price as the Anaconda, I imagine next gen to be pretty easy for them.

I think you're making the mistake of assuming the average gamer is as clued up about tech specs as the average member of this forum.

Even on this forum I'd say there is a general feeling that the 1080 to 4K jump is diminishing returns. If the same game is running side by side on those rumoured Xbox skus on anything less than a 65" TV I don't think the average gamer is going to notice much of a difference & the lower sku may in fact be the console that makes most sense to many gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I'd personally plump for the superior sku but that's because I have a bad case of tech fomo - can't help myself. Though I do intend on upgrading from my 55" oled to 77-85" in the next year or 2 - at which point that extra grunt will really show in a meaningful way. But most gamers won't have a 77-85" tv any time soon!

If you said average consumer, you would have been right.  However, your average gamer, who also are part of the early adopters, are more informed than they ever have been.  They visit gaming and tech sites/forums to look up info on their purchases.  Wikipedia is also a great source to look up tech info on devices.  You think the average gamer even knew what powered the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube when they were buying them?  Hell no.  Now, all of that info is just a click away.

Not being able to tell the difference is hyperbole.  There are going to be more cutbacks on a GPU that is only ~1/3 the power of another than just resolution, which people can tell the difference on screens much smaller than 65".  There's going to be less draw distance, lower quality assets, fewer effects, etc.  Gamers can look up what the differences are between the games on the sites I mentioned, and we also have a handy tool called Youtube where people can actually watch videos of games before they buy.

Trumpstyle said:
So far everything is looking good for me, Xbox two (Lockhart) will be a 1080p machine, PS5 will be a 1440p+ machine and Xbox two+ (Anaconda) will be a sub 4K machine.

Yikes.  You have some ridiculously low expectations for next gen.  Trust me, 4K 30/60 FPS, even if it is 4K CB to push visuals more, will be the goal for next gen.  They are already advertising 4K with the Pro and X, not aiming for 4K next gen would be idiotic.  Sure, we may have a few games that aren't the most optimized hitting 1440p, but that won't be the goal for the majority of games.  Especially not exclusives.

Random_Matt said:
Brilliant, MS releasing a weaker console, talk about crippling your stronger one. Hopefully PS are not stupid enough to do the same. Personally another headache for developers.

I think this all just shows how many people don't really get how all this game stuff works (at least enough to debate about it). They just see TFs and run with it.

Its no more of a headache than any game in existence that has graphic settings. Only difference here is that thse graphic settings are set on a hardware level. With how scalable modern day game engines are devs will literally just have a load out setting for the lower powered lockhart that will automatically scale everything back to fit. Then iron out any bugs that pop up.

No crippling happening here. 

You should only be worried if the cpu is different and it has like say 6GB of RAM or something.

Intrinsic said:
Trumpstyle said:

lol... this is kinda funny.

There is not a chance in hell PS5 will be a 1440p machine. Both sony and MS are going to look at what is needed to have native 4k and exceed that by a decent margin. And since they are both shopping from the same shop, they will end up with near identical hardware.

You honestly believe that the min thing that made the PS4 win the XB1 at the start of this gen is something they will suddenly not care about at the start of next gen? There is no way sony is going to allow MS be able to say True or the only 4k console fr the next 6 years. Like think about it and you see how little sense it makes.

This. No further words.

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.

PS5 Backwards Compatibility Speculation Begins Again as Sony Files Another Patent

""Sony has filed another patent for a backwards compatibility system, in theory allowing the inevitable PS5 to play games from previous console generations. At the beginning of the month, a patent registered under Mark Cerny's name was discovered, supposedly pointing to a method of backwards compatibility that would, again, in theory, let the PS5 run PSone, PS2, PS3, and PS4 titles.

The patent sparked a lot of speculation, but as we mentioned, patents don't necessarily mean that the proposed technology is going to be used. Sometimes, companies simply patent something so that the idea is safeguarded from the competition.

However, the fact that Sony has filed another patent -- published just yesterday and again, authored by PS4 system architect Mark Cerny -- lends a lot of weight to the aforementioned speculation. Just like the last patent, this one devises a system that essentially "tricks" old games into thinking that they're running on their original platforms. It certainly seems to fall in line with what's already been uncovered.""

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/02/ps5_backwards_compatibility_speculation_begins_again_as_sony_files_another_patent

Please Sony !

”Every great dream begins with a dreamer. Always remember, you have within you the strength, the patience, and the passion to reach for the stars to change the world.”

Harriet Tubman.