By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PS5 Coming at the End of 2020 According to Analyst: High-Spec Hardware for Under $500

Price, SKUs, specs ?

Only Base Model, $399, 9-10TF GPU, 16GB RAM 24 30.00%

Only Base Model, $449, 10-12TF GPU, 16GB RAM 13 16.25%

Only Base Model, $499, 12-14TF GPU, 24GB RAM 21 26.25%

Base Model $399 and PREMIUM $499 specs Ans3 10 12.50%

Base Mod $399 / PREM $549, >14TF 24GB RAM 5 6.25%

Base Mod $449 / PREM $599, the absolute Elite 7 8.75%

Total:80
Intrinsic said:
Random_Matt said:
Brilliant, MS releasing a weaker console, talk about crippling your stronger one. Hopefully PS are not stupid enough to do the same. Personally another headache for developers.

I think this all just shows how many people don't really get how all this game stuff works (at least enough to debate about it). They just see TFs and run with it.

Its no more of a headache than any game in existence that has graphic settings. Only difference here is that thse graphic settings are set on a hardware level. With how scalable modern day game engines are devs will literally just have a load out setting for the lower powered lockhart that will automatically scale everything back to fit. Then iron out any bugs that pop up.

No crippling happening here. 

You should only be worried if the cpu is different and it has like say 6GB of RAM or something.

You need to understand how development works. 

Around the Network
TranceformerFX said:
Just dropping by to remind everyone that the PS5 isn't going to have an SSD or anything more than 16GB RAM.

This and they won't be that much more powerful than the X or Pro in order to be affordable and 1080p will still be the standard NOT 4k.

thismeintiel said:
Biggerboat1 said:

I think you're making the mistake of assuming the average gamer is as clued up about tech specs as the average member of this forum.

Even on this forum I'd say there is a general feeling that the 1080 to 4K jump is diminishing returns. If the same game is running side by side on those rumoured Xbox skus on anything less than a 65" TV I don't think the average gamer is going to notice much of a difference & the lower sku may in fact be the console that makes most sense to many gamers.

Don't get me wrong, I'd personally plump for the superior sku but that's because I have a bad case of tech fomo - can't help myself. Though I do intend on upgrading from my 55" oled to 77-85" in the next year or 2 - at which point that extra grunt will really show in a meaningful way. But most gamers won't have a 77-85" tv any time soon!

If you said average consumer, you would have been right.  However, your average gamer, who also are part of the early adopters, are more informed than they ever have been.  They visit gaming and tech sites/forums to look up info on their purchases.  Wikipedia is also a great source to look up tech info on devices.  You think the average gamer even knew what powered the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube when they were buying them?  Hell no.  Now, all of that info is just a click away.

Not being able to tell the difference is hyperbole.  There are going to be more cutbacks on a GPU that is only ~1/3 the power of another than just resolution, which people can tell the difference on screens much smaller than 65".  There's going to be less draw distance, lower quality assets, fewer effects, etc.  Gamers can look up what the differences are between the games on the sites I mentioned, and we also have a handy tool called Youtube where people can actually watch videos of games before they buy.

@ bold, not sure what you mean here, early adopters are a small subset of consumer within any sector, for them to be distinctive as 'early' it means that the majority have to be late(r). If everyone is an 'early' adopter then no-one is... Also, look at pretty much any console's sales curve and tell me where your evidence is for the average gamer = early adopter theory...

Also, just because people can look up tech info at the click of a button doesn't mean that they're interested in doing so. If everybody was obsessed with tech specs they'd own a PC or XB1X & Pro would be outselling the base models...

Finally, the PS4 base model has a GPU not far off of 1/3 the power of the Pro - you think games look that different across the two? I mean, the PS4/Pro example is the perfect comparison - they're essentially the same system except ram & GPU... Same proposition as these 2 XB skus & yet you're somehow concluding that there will be little interest in the cheaper/less powerful sku...?

zorg1000 said:

Indirectly probably alot, good luck putting out those fires without the water mains and fire hydrants I install my career has a higher death rate than yours so I put my life on the line everyday just like you.

Oh... I am not just a fire fighter. I am in multiple rescue organizations.
I am one of a dozen people who essentially are the first and last response to thousands of miles/kilometers of remote pristine Australian coastline/sea... Whether it be a boat, car, search and rescue, fire, vertical... You name it.

If you think you are at higher risk than that... Well... Not sure what to tell you. :P

Plus we don't need water mains and fire hydrants with the bulk water carriers backing up the 34P/Alpha 34P's. - The USA's approach to firefighting is far different to our own, you cannot rely on water mains out in the middle of nowhere as they blatantly don't exist, so we learned to become self sufficient.

zorg1000 said:

Jokes aside, I dont think your selfish or arrogant, I just think that previous statement came off as such. It just sounded like, "I dont care what others want, as long as I get what I want" which I'm sure wasnt how you intended it but that's how it came off to me so if I misinterpreted than that's my bad.

I am definitely not selfish. But I am arrogant, but there are reasons for that. Haha

Intrinsic said:

You should only be worried if the cpu is different and it has like say 6GB of RAM or something.

CPU I get because that affects things like simulation quality. I.E. Physics, number of A.I characters, asset decompression and general world interaction... And can even lend itself to assisting with rendering. (I.E. Cheap Anti-Aliasing.)

But having less DRAM wouldn't be the end of the world if it isn't to severe, the Xbox One X with it's 50% more Ram makes full use of it with higher resolutions and texturing quality over the base Xbox.

Random_Matt said:

You need to understand how development works. 

Then feel free to chime in? Forums are here for discussing things.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Pemalite said:
zorg1000 said:

Indirectly probably alot, good luck putting out those fires without the water mains and fire hydrants I install my career has a higher death rate than yours so I put my life on the line everyday just like you.

I am one of a dozen people who essentially are the first and last response to thousands of miles/kilometers of remote pristine Australian coastline/sea... Whether it be a boat, car, search and rescue, fire, vertical... You name it.

If you think you are at higher risk than that... Well... Not sure what to tell you. :P

Plus we don't need water mains and fire hydrants with the bulk water carriers backing up the 34P/Alpha 34P's. - The USA's approach to firefighting is far different to our own, you cannot rely on water mains out in the middle of nowhere as they blatantly don't exist, so we learned to become self sufficient.

zorg1000 said:

Jokes aside, I dont think your selfish or arrogant, I just think that previous statement came off as such. It just sounded like, "I dont care what others want, as long as I get what I want" which I'm sure wasnt how you intended it but that's how it came off to me so if I misinterpreted than that's my bad.

I am definitely not selfish. But I am arrogant, but there are reasons for that. Haha

Maybe it's different in AUS but in the US my profession has a higher chance of death than law enforcement, firefighters & emergency medical services.

I've been in 30ft+ feet deep trenches where cave ins are a huge risk. Worked inside of methane filled confined spaces where combustion and/or asphyxiation is a risk. Constantly working around housting/rigging carrying thousands of pounds of material (2 years ago a guy on another crew for the company is was working for got killed during a rigging failure).

Worked on many heavy highway projects (guy on my crew got hit by a car on a job last year). Digging alongside water/electric/gas utilities everyday (its common for the locating company to miss a locate and we end up finding/hitting a utility that's not marked, operator once hit an unmarked water and electric line at the same time, if I was in the ditch at that moment I would have been electrocuted).

Been on a job where I directly handled dynamite. Work alongside heavy equipment every day and had many close calls with mechanical malfunctions (hydraulics line blew and almost got crushed by excavator) and human error (operator not following hand signals almost cut my feet off a few months ago).

Sure, you might be at a higher risk but I go through my fair share of risks on a day to basis....well not at the moment because I'm off with a work related injury

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Isn´t all this kind of out of topic?

CrazyGPU said:
Isn´t all this kind of out of topic?

Absolutely lol

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Nate4Drake said:
PS5 Backwards Compatibility Speculation Begins Again as Sony Files Another Patent

""Sony has filed another patent for a backwards compatibility system, in theory allowing the inevitable PS5 to play games from previous console generations. At the beginning of the month, a patent registered under Mark Cerny's name was discovered, supposedly pointing to a method of backwards compatibility that would, again, in theory, let the PS5 run PSone, PS2, PS3, and PS4 titles.

The patent sparked a lot of speculation, but as we mentioned, patents don't necessarily mean that the proposed technology is going to be used. Sometimes, companies simply patent something so that the idea is safeguarded from the competition.

However, the fact that Sony has filed another patent -- published just yesterday and again, authored by PS4 system architect Mark Cerny -- lends a lot of weight to the aforementioned speculation. Just like the last patent, this one devises a system that essentially "tricks" old games into thinking that they're running on their original platforms. It certainly seems to fall in line with what's already been uncovered.""

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2019/02/ps5_backwards_compatibility_speculation_begins_again_as_sony_files_another_patent

Please Sony !

Yes, please.  If the PS5 can play all 4 previous consoles at launch, that will be a big point in its favor.

Biggerboat1 said:
thismeintiel said:

If you said average consumer, you would have been right.  However, your average gamer, who also are part of the early adopters, are more informed than they ever have been.  They visit gaming and tech sites/forums to look up info on their purchases.  Wikipedia is also a great source to look up tech info on devices.  You think the average gamer even knew what powered the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube when they were buying them?  Hell no.  Now, all of that info is just a click away.

Not being able to tell the difference is hyperbole.  There are going to be more cutbacks on a GPU that is only ~1/3 the power of another than just resolution, which people can tell the difference on screens much smaller than 65".  There's going to be less draw distance, lower quality assets, fewer effects, etc.  Gamers can look up what the differences are between the games on the sites I mentioned, and we also have a handy tool called Youtube where people can actually watch videos of games before they buy.

@ bold, not sure what you mean here, early adopters are a small subset of consumer within any sector, for them to be distinctive as 'early' it means that the majority have to be late(r). If everyone is an 'early' adopter then no-one is... Also, look at pretty much any console's sales curve and tell me where your evidence is for the average gamer = early adopter theory...

Also, just because people can look up tech info at the click of a button doesn't mean that they're interested in doing so. If everybody was obsessed with tech specs they'd own a PC or XB1X & Pro would be outselling the base models...

Finally, the PS4 base model has a GPU not far off of 1/3 the power of the Pro - you think games look that different across the two? I mean, the PS4/Pro example is the perfect comparison - they're essentially the same system except ram & GPU... Same proposition as these 2 XB skus & yet you're somehow concluding that there will be little interest in the cheaper/less powerful sku...?

Maybe I should have been more clear.  I meant partly make up early adopters.  And this gen, those that were early adopters, i.e. who bought it at $399, were a huge crowd.  For the PS4 that was ~30M, nearly 1/3 of its current sales.

Like I keep saying, there is a HUGE difference between a launch console and a mid-gen upgrade.  The upgrade is naturally going to sell to less people, as there will be plenty of people who will just wait another 3 years or so and just spend that money on a next gen system.  Others are budget buyers who wait for the PS4 to drop to $199.  Gamers do look these things up, especially at launch.  Why do you think the PS4 continued to outsell the XBO, even though MS got the price to equal less than 7 months after launch and had many sales to make it $50+ less than the PS4.  The perceived value was still too low at that price for many, as the PS4 was just more powerful.

The PS4 base model is much closer to 1/2 the power of the Pro than it is 1/3.  Also, games on the Pro are not made only targeting that HW.  It is made so that it runs well on the base model, then a few bells and whistles (usually just higher res and/or framerate) are added to the game to take advantage of the Pro.  If the games were made using only Pro HW, you can bet they would look better.  There will be little interest in the lower powered XB2 because the early adopters will be looking for a real jump in performance, not another half step.  And given that it will probably still be $299, early adopters would rather spend the extra $100 to buy a system that is 3x the power and a real jump.  If it was $199, those budget gamers might come into play.  Of course, they may just choose to wait a 2-3 of years and wait for the $199 BF deals for the other consoles, to also get a real jump.

BraLoD said:

My risk is much bigger than yours

My risk can walk right though doors

With a feeling so pure

It's got you screaming back for more

Fixed it for you.

thismeintiel said:
Biggerboat1 said:

1) Maybe I should have been more clear.  I meant partly make up early adopters.  And this gen, those that were early adopters, i.e. who bought it at $399, were a huge crowd.  For the PS4 that was ~30M, nearly 1/3 of its current sales.

2) Like I keep saying, there is a HUGE difference between a launch console and a mid-gen upgrade.  The upgrade is naturally going to sell to less people, as there will be plenty of people who will just wait another 3 years or so and just spend that money on a next gen system.  Others are budget buyers who wait for the PS4 to drop to $199.  Gamers do look these things up, especially at launch.  Why do you think the PS4 continued to outsell the XBO, even though MS got the price to equal less than 7 months after launch and had many sales to make it $50+ less than the PS4.  The perceived value was still too low at that price for many, as the PS4 was just more powerful.

3) The PS4 base model is much closer to 1/2 the power of the Pro than it is 1/3.  Also, games on the Pro are not made only targeting that HW.  It is made so that it runs well on the base model, then a few bells and whistles (usually just higher res and/or framerate) are added to the game to take advantage of the Pro.  If the games were made using only Pro HW, you can bet they would look better.  4) There will be little interest in the lower powered XB2 because the early adopters will be looking for a real jump in performance, not another half step.  And given that it will probably still be $299, early adopters would rather spend the extra $100 to buy a system that is 3x the power and a real jump.  If it was $199, those budget gamers might come into play.  Of course, they may just choose to wait a 2-3 of years and wait for the $199 BF deals for the other consoles, to also get a real jump.

1) The early adopter thing, still not really getting your point, what counts as 'early' - 6 months / 12 months / 18 months?

2) There were many reasons PS4 beat out XB1 - to simplify it to being power only is silly. There are also multiple examples of weaker hardware winning a gen so...
3) PS4 : 1.84 TFLOPS / Pro : 4.2 TFLOPS - so 2.3 x more powerful, just for clarity, but then the Pro isn't doing real 4K, to do that would need to be a bit more powerful, bringing us closer to the rumoured Xbox Skus.
I'm not an expert on this stuff (maybe Pemalite or one of the more technically minded guys can help us here), but my understanding is that GPU power requirements scales with resolution. So to increase the resolution from Full HD to 4K, you're gonna need 4x the power. If I'm correct then the that means there won't be any extra 'bells & whistles' between the 2 skus but just resolution bump. In fact Anaconda might struggle to hit full 4K at only 3x... 

4) I guess we just fundamentally disagree on the potential popularity of the lower-priced sku. I believe that there's a healthy market for a cheaper model and that a lot of gamers just don't care about 4K, not to the tune of an extra $100-$200 anyway. If MS does indeed go this route then I guess we'll see!

EDIT : not sure what's up with the formatting here but it won't let me put an extra line between points 2) & 3) and 3) & 4) - very odd!

zorg1000 said:
Pemalite said:

Maybe it's different in AUS but in the US my profession has a higher chance of death than law enforcement, firefighters & emergency medical services.

I've been in 30ft+ feet deep trenches where cave ins are a huge risk. Worked inside of methane filled confined spaces where combustion and/or asphyxiation is a risk. Constantly working around housting/rigging carrying thousands of pounds of material (2 years ago a guy on another crew for the company is was working for got killed during a rigging failure).

Worked on many heavy highway projects (guy on my crew got hit by a car on a job last year). Digging alongside water/electric/gas utilities everyday (its common for the locating company to miss a locate and we end up finding/hitting a utility that's not marked, operator once hit an unmarked water and electric line at the same time, if I was in the ditch at that moment I would have been electrocuted).

Been on a job where I directly handled dynamite. Work alongside heavy equipment every day and had many close calls with mechanical malfunctions (hydraulics line blew and almost got crushed by excavator) and human error (operator not following hand signals almost cut my feet off a few months ago).

Sure, you might be at a higher risk but I go through my fair share of risks on a day to basis....well not at the moment because I'm off with a work related injury

I think you guys should compare scars ;)

Last edited by Biggerboat1 - on 24 February 2019