By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Battlefield V sells 7.3m, falls short of EA Q3 expectations by 1m

Hm, 7.1 million is still a lot of copies sold even if it was half off. Guess the supposed boycott of EA/BFV wasn't all that effective. I need to remind myself that internet forums don't represent the majority, they're just a really, really, vocal minority.

Around the Network

Shame because I enjoyed it a lot. More so than any COD this gen.

NobleTeam360 said:
Hm, 7.1 million is still a lot of copies sold even if it was half off. Guess the supposed boycott of EA/BFV wasn't all that effective. I need to remind myself that internet forums don't represent the majority, they're just a really, really, vocal minority.

The previous game (BF1) sold 15 millions during the holidays, and without needing price cuts (21 millions in next July after launch). They lost half of their playerbase, and more than half of their profit. Not sure about the "vocal minority" when the majority of the profit disappeared. 

Of course, the "boycott" is not the only cause for poor sales, but it sure didn't help the marketing when all we heard about the game was talks about SJW and "don't like it don't buy it".

NobleTeam360 said:

If it wasn't effective why did the sell if so fast with a discount?  That's like saying Fallout 76 is loved because it had alright sales?

NobleTeam360 said:

A week after released BFV got 50% price cut and still failed to meet EA expectations in unit sales and over 50% down from BF1 sales in the same timeframe, it was clearly effective and not the other way around.

Around the Network

Electronic Arts actions lost 17.5% of value right after they announced their results. But hey, 7 millions is "not bad"!

And by the way, the "just 1 million below expectation" is kind of an incomplete number. Those expectations were already lowered after the issues last summer, so it's "1 million less than what was expected after the backlash".

They also expect 4.75 billion dollars of revenue for the fiscal year instead of 4.2, but actually they already lowered the projections from 4.55 to 4.2 at that time. So they expect 800 millions less revenue compared to before BFV.

https://www.vgr.com/ea-2019-earnings-battlefield-5-sales/

So yeah, "only 1 millions less, not bad", except that it's one million less than the already lowered expectations after the failed launch. We don't know at all how high were the initial expectations.

Last edited by Faelco - on 06 February 2019

NobleTeam360 said:

It's why I find the whole "vote with your wallet" idea as being completely useless. It only ever works if you are a part of the bigger crowd that both got stung and agrees with your stance with what you fight for. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

pokoko said:
Let's be honest with this--the "controversy" probably had very little to do with the decline. Most shooter fans probably had no idea any of that was even going on. They just did a poor job of making people want to buy it overall. Compared to BF1, it did not generate any kind of buzz.

These military shooters being yearly releases really burns through possible source material quickly. They're going to have to get creative.

The fact that it looks so similar to bf1 didn't help. If they jumped to a drastically different setting like vietnam or the future it most likely would have done way better

konnichiwa said:
NobleTeam360 said:

If it wasn't effective why did the sell if so fast with a discount?  That's like saying Fallout 76 is loved because it had alright sales?

I don't know, maybe because the game, in general, is pretty bad. I'm sure that had far more to do with the decline in sales than some supposed boycott, not to say none of the lost sales were due to that. And no, that isn't like saying Fallout 76 is loved because of alright sales. 

Faelco said:
NobleTeam360 said:

The previous game (BF1) sold 15 millions during the holidays, and without needing price cuts (21 millions in next July after launch). They lost half of their playerbase, and more than half of their profit. Not sure about the "vocal minority" when the majority of the profit disappeared. 

Of course, the "boycott" is not the only cause for poor sales, but it sure didn't help the marketing when all we heard about the game was talks about SJW and "don't like it don't buy it".

Yep, BF1 to BFV is a pretty big drop, I just don't attribute the people whining about EA/Dice supposedly being SJW with BFV as the cause for that large of a drop (some of it sure).