By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Megaman 11 sold 870K and Megaman X Legacy collection sold 920K since they launched.

Excited for the future of the Megaman franchise?

Hell ya! 10 50.00%

No.... 1 5.00%

Not a fan, but happy that... 7 35.00%

X9 or nothing! 2 10.00%

Total:20
Shadow1980 said:
Given that the production costs of those titles have to be quite low by today's standards, that amount of sales has to be quite profitable for Capcom. Hopefully this means more Mega Man games in the future, preferably more 2D platformers, like a Mega Man 12 or Mega Man X9, because IMO that's what Mega Man was always meant to be.

So we can never have potential Mega Man spin-offs?

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
Given that the production costs of those titles have to be quite low by today's standards, that amount of sales has to be quite profitable for Capcom. Hopefully this means more Mega Man games in the future, preferably more 2D platformers, like a Mega Man 12 or Mega Man X9, because IMO that's what Mega Man was always meant to be.

At that time and place. Were not in that time and place anymore. Just for the record that Battle Network series beat the pants off classic and X series during its run. Between Battle network Zero, X, and classic Battle Network was leading the pack.

potato_hamster said:
JWeinCom said:

Uhhhh... of all the series that might make a valid comparison, how'd you land on NHL?  

One of the staples of my childhood video game experience.

Mine too, but it doesn't really make sense as a comparison here.  The two games really don't share much in common.  If anything.

CaptainExplosion said:
Shadow1980 said:

So we can never have potential Mega Man spin-offs?

I honestly wouldn't be interested unless it was also a 2D platformer. I played a bit of Legends back in the late 90s and I hated it. It didn't feel like a Mega Man game. And other spin-offs have been in genres I care little for. When I think "Mega Man" I think the Classic and X series (well, at least the earlier X games, as the series started to dip in quality in the PS1 era and went completely off the rails when Capcom tried to forcing it away from a pure side-scroller when the series transitioned to the PS2). I think of the old-school formula of "pick the levels in any order, beat the boss, take his weapon, figure out which other boss is weak to it" combined with tight 2D platforming. Anything else I have no interest in, because none of them have given me any reason to be interested in them. Making it a 3D platformer just doesn't jibe with me, because I think some series just don't transition well to 3D and lose a lot of what made the 2D ones great in the process. Battle Network's tactical RPG genre is something that's never appealed to me. I'm not going to "broaden my horizons" and play games in genres and sub-genres I don't care for and don't think Mega Man is a good fit for just because it has "Mega Man" in the title.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

JWeinCom said:
potato_hamster said:

One of the staples of my childhood video game experience.

Mine too, but it doesn't really make sense as a comparison here.  The two games really don't share much in common.  If anything.

But that's why I chose it. It's a fairly niche title that barely sells anything below the rust belt USA and in Canada and sells for $60, and has absolutely no legs. That game does 90% of its sales between September and December, I bet. Yet, it's selling better than an iconic, legendary video game franchise at much less. i guess it kinda caught me off guard just how much the Mega Man franchise has crumbled over the years. If this is "good" for Mega Man, then Mega Man isn't in a very good place.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:
JWeinCom said:

But that's why I chose it. It's a fairly niche title that barely sells anything below the rust belt USA and in Canada and sells for $60, and has absolutely no legs. That game does 90% of its sales between September and December, I bet. Yet, it's selling better than an iconic, legendary video game franchise at much less. i guess it kinda caught me off guard just how much the Mega Man franchise has crumbled over the years. If this is "good" for Mega Man, then Mega Man isn't in a very good place.

Have you looked at old Mega Man sales? The best selling entry of all time is only 1.51 million.

And that number comes directly from Capcom.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Great Megaman were my favorite games growing up, I have been tempted on multiple occasions to buy the legacy collection but have not pulled the trigger. and I am still waiting for Megaman 11 to go on sale or a price reduction to 20

I hope this is considered good since I own both Legacy Collections 1+2 and Megaman 11 and I still want more.

Gameplay > Graphics

Substance > Style

Art Direction > Realism

GoOnKid said:

I hope this is considered good since I own both Legacy Collections 1+2 and Megaman 11 and I still want more.

Capcom said that the sales were either strong or selling well.So yeah, Capcom considers them good.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

zorg1000 said:
potato_hamster said:

Have you looked at old Mega Man sales? The best selling entry of all time is only 1.51 million.

And that number comes directly from Capcom.

I honestly hadn't. I didn't realize it never sold that well. Kinda like Metroid then. Interesting. Thanks for the info Zorg!