By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro dev says next game won't be on PC if players boycott. EDIT: Official Statement made

CGI-Quality said:
eva01beserk said:

Like i just said. I dont think the guy is shifting blame or anything. No matter who is to blame wich i do agree is the publisher. If a boycut happens and it underperforms then we might not see this in pc again. Like the other guy said. If its a point you are trying to make then wait for the steam release dont just boycut the game entirely. Its suporting the devs while still getting your point acros

Like others, you have missed the point. It's not strictly about the exclusive move. It's not strictly about the Epic Store. Two things you don't do is remove a game from a storefront with just a few weeks to release and you certainly don't bait your fans and potential customers. 

All else in the discussion is cases of circumstance and secondary to the bigger picture.

That seems to be an issue for a few. You are puting it like if you cant buy the game no more ..or need new hardware. The huge problem that your having is no more than a 5 min delay. So yea i misses that point as i thought it was irrelevant. That i think they would not have done that? Sure. But its nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

After reading the other post with the translation. If thats all it takes for you not to buy the game .Then yea i dont think you where a fan to beging with.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
eva01beserk said:

But what i quoted nor what i said had anything about entitlement. The people who bought on steam still got steam access. While im not sure about refund policies. There was a diferent chart than the one i quoted and that one did say that epic offered refunds. Why on earth would they not? Thats not a software thing.

No offline mode would suck ..specially for a singleplayer game. But again. Thouse features will slowly roll out. Steam also dint have them day one.

Diferent prices in diferent regions is not a new thing. Thats a definetly right reason to be upset.

Again if you dont like the new store and you would love to pay the $10 for the fetures makes sense. I agree 100% with you. But not having then and paying less is also acceptable by the publishers. They are saying this is not as good so we cant charge the same. Buying or not is still up to you. Wait or not wait for steam is still up to you. Its not the devs fault its mostly the publisher.

Look at the entire quote Think-man is harping on about biting the bullet to buy it on another store and I highlighted why a number of people have issues buying off another store plus only the people who bought digital got a steam copy people who bought physical will get a code for ES. Epic only just came up with a refund policy that's not even implemented yet they didn't even have one to begin with.

All other stores had offline mode to begin with even Steam allowed games to be played when it first launched ES just flat out doesn't saying features will be added is not a defence when it even impacts a game being played.

Different prices in different regions yeah too bad that was not what was being argued as you were banging on about a 20% discount and the point is that discount is not available to all consumers.

The publisher can make deals yes but when you make the deal 2 weeks before release then they come across as jackasses hence why other exclusives on ES have not had any backlash towards them as they announced the deals before the game went on sale the discount which isn't even available to everyone is not even from the publisher either it's from Epic so the former could care less which is a precedent that no one will let fly. This would be equivalent to KH3 being made exclusive to X1 two weeks before launch I guarantee the same people saying entitled here would change their tune in that case.

Only thing i can give you is no ofline play. That is a serious issue. And diferent prices for diferent regions. The 2 weeks thing i already comented on cgi's post.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

CGI-Quality said:
eva01beserk said:

That seems to be an issue for a few. You are puting it like if you cant buy the game no more ..or need new hardware. The huge problem that your having is no more than a 5 min delay. So yea i misses that point as i thought it was irrelevant. That i think they would not have done that? Sure. But its nothing in the grand scheme of things. 

After reading the other post with the translation. If thats all it takes for you not to buy the game .Then yea i dont think you where a fan to beging with.

I'm sorry, but I've explained it the best that I can. You simply don't understand.

I suppose i dont

Ka-pi96 said:
eva01beserk said:

Like i just said. I dont think the guy is shifting blame or anything. No matter who is to blame wich i do agree is the publisher. If a boycut happens and it underperforms then we might not see this in pc again. Like the other guy said. If its a point you are trying to make then wait for the steam release dont just boycut the game entirely. Its suporting the devs while still getting your point acros.

Edit: where this like the batlefielf V thibg where the EA exec said dont like it then dont buy it thing than yea. You definatly should feel insulted. I see what this guy said as almost begging. Like dont hurt us for what the publisher did.

I disagree. Devs don't learn that way. Complaining and then buying it anyway is why stuff like this keeps happening.

I sincerely hope something like this actually does bankrupt a fairly big dev/publisher soon. Maybe then they'll realise that it's their job to please their customers and make products people actually want to buy instead of doing anti-consumer things and then whining like a little bitch when people don't like or buy their game.

I get what you mean. But lo ike you say. For people to get it a big guy has to fall .But they are the ones who can survive a few failures. By the time a big guy like ea falls a good number of little to medium dev/publishers would have already lost. Worst thing is it might be their first attemp or something while ea s scamed millions. So i cant wish to bankrupt anybody.

forest-spirit said:
If anything this kind of statement will probably just make people want to boycott the game even more.

I feel negative press like this only diminishes the hype of what could be a great title. I do agree with you.

OT - So its an Epic Store sale or no Metro 4 game in near future on PC? Ouch 

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
I have to respect the developers here, not giving in to entitled gamers, and standing their ground.

This is easy for them to say because if it doesnt do well, there's no harm in taking it off PC anyways.

I almost find it worth it to get banned for your post. The publisher changed launchers 2 weeks before release.  That is anti consumer because gamers were expecting it on steam and the game was pre ordered on steam.  Oh thats ok they will honor it next year.  Don't you get pc and console players are the same they are consumers and should be against any negative nonsense of the greedy publishers.

so just to get this straight.... they limited the number of places where their game can be bought from... and if people don't come to their store to buy the game... they're going to limit even further the platforms they're going to sell their product on? How do they imagine this would go for the sales of future products? especially given the architecture of consoles and PC right now this must be the easiest generation ever to port games back to the PC it would be them just cutting off their nose to spite their face, I mean... who gets hurt if they follow up on this threat? The people who boycott their games on the PC because they locked them away in epics store aren't going to have bought the titles anyway so it has zero impact on them, those gamers who did buy metro on the epic store will be getting shat on and QQ'd at so they'll be pissed off by it as well, it's creating a lose/lose/lose outcome to their current issue.

Also a few people in this thread question PC gamers who would want to stick to Steam and be loyal to a single brand of pc gaming when the platform is open, you have to think about it like this, for the last decade or so you've got a ton of PC gamers who've moved away from piracy and embraced steam as a digital only marketplace which would exist forever as the de-facto place to get pc games, they've invested hundreds and thousands into their libraries of games on that platform and now in the last 3-4 years the number of individual game devs which now have their own stores has jumped a load, rather than one platform in Steam for gaming you now have Origin, Uplay, Battle.Net, Windows10Store, Epicgamesstore, that weird LoL launcher and a few others which I can't think of right now, the thing is... if one of those takes over and becomes the new home for gamers on PC then their is the potential of Steam running into issues in retaining customers which has that knock on effect of steam being less vital to PC gaming.... and that library of 1000s of games potentially becoming lost if Steam was to ever go under. PC gamers are right to defend Steam, they've literally invested cash into it.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

flashfire926 said:
Ka-pi96 said:

The dev going bankrupt and all the staff losing their jobs due to the next game having a massive decline in sales is "no harm"?

I don't know what the profit margins for the game are or exactly how much of that comes from PC, so I don't know exactly how likely a scenario like that is, but even if it doesn't go to the extreme end like that it absolutely will still hurt the company financially!

And what about respecting consumers and not giving in to entitled devs?

Did you read the first part of the sentence? If it sells poorly on PC, the cost of removing it would be very miniscule, causing no harm, probably. Since the amount of sales removed was very little.

It's only a "massive decline" if they decide to pull it when it sells well, which they're not gonna.

It's up to the fans to keep the series on PC.

They have made the choice to add a hurdle to those people who want to buy this game... you know a lot of people when they are presented with a hurdle do not feel obliged to jump over it to hand a company cash, often they might consider such things as other ways around the hurdle, because in my mind right now I can definitely think of a way of getting metro onto my PC without going through the epic store for it... and that version most certainly won't have any background drm or issues getting season pass content for free as well.

The company selling it has done this though, they choose to add the extra task of adding additional software to users PC's to buy the game and creating and protecting a new account on another service just to give them cash, say you take a poll of 1,000 people who are considering buying this game, every person exactly is 50/50 as to if they wanted to buy metro or not at launch... how many of that 1,000 people would see the requirement of an additional launcher and account which they need to trust with their CC info as a positive to tip them from being on the fence over to being a purchaser of the software? do you imagine more of these 50/50 people would become buyers or avoid because of the additional steps now required to buy the game.... as in, would this move net them any additional software number sales in the real world? Of course it wont, Epic are banking on the fact that the games lost sales will be made up for by customers coming into their store and them earning extra cash since they've then taking steams cut of the profits out and their is the potential that a gamer will on the epic store would buy an addition game or two there.... they have willingly sacrificed the number of copies which Metro will sell just to try and get additional profits from other avenues with this exclusivity, so I absolutely see this as a move where the dev doesn't care about how many gamers buy and play their game.... but just about getting whales in the door of their store so they can nickle and dime the customers who remain loyal to make up for the lost customers who don't buy it.

wow.... that's wall of texty, I'm sleepy! sorry.

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Wyrdness said:
eva01beserk said:

Its a brand new store .No shit you aint gona get as many fetures. Thats way they charge 20% less. Thouse fetures like for steam will slowly roll out.

Maybe you didn't read the full thread we have some people here shouted about PC players being entitled because they're unhappy about the surprise exclusive move two weeks before launch well this chart highlights why a number of people would rather pay that extra $10 to have all those features. Your discount argument is also flimsy because in regions like the UK the is no discount at all and the game retains the same price as Steam so the consumers are offered nothing in those regions what so ever not to mention having no offline mode or refund policy in place which are bare basics.

As I've mentioned before If a car company builds a car with drum brakes and no seat belts then later on adds disc brakes and seat belts then years later another company releases a car you would expect it to have those features.

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

eva01beserk said:

Its a brand new store .No shit you aint gona get as many fetures. Thats way they charge 20% less. Thouse fetures like for steam will slowly roll out.

Or... They simply could have left the Epic Store in development a little longer, we simply do not know if they will have feature parity with Steam anytime soon, it might even take them a decade, no one knows.
Besides... The PC is littered with the bones of Digital-Distrubution stores that promised big... And under-delivered... Like Games for Windows live.

uDontPlay, Origin and Windows Store are primary examples. - How many years have they been out?

But instead of jumping the gun and testing an unknown platform, hows about we hold out and see how things pan out?

collint0101 said:

If PC gamers don't buy enough copies to justify the cost of porting the game then why should they bring a potential metro 4 to PC?

Erm. Because they could make money with a potential Metro 4 on PC? Metro sells best on PC, it's primarily a PC franchise.
If they want to make the millions of smacko's... Then they need to do right by their primary fanbase.

But we PC Gamers are entitled to not hand over our hard earned cash if they can't deliver what PC gamers ultimately want... And they really don't have the right to whinge about it either.

Ganoncrotch said:

Also a few people in this thread question PC gamers who would want to stick to Steam and be loyal to a single brand of pc gaming when the platform is open, you have to think about it like this, for the last decade or so you've got a ton of PC gamers who've moved away from piracy and embraced steam as a digital only marketplace which would exist forever as the de-facto place to get pc games

Steam is a private company... So they aren't motivated by sheer greed to placate shareholders every quarter.

Steam really made Digital Distribution go mainstream... They consolidated PC gaming into one place... They made PC gaming more accessible... They made PC gaming cheaper... And the list never ends.
Steam has earned it's goodwill and support... And so has GOG.com.

Steam has literally been the cornerstone of PC gaming for years, even when Microsoft turned it's back on PC gaming to focus on it's console efforts, Steam was paving the way and showing the world how lucrative PC gaming can be... And now that various companies have taken note how successful Valve is... They want a piece of that pie.

Epic used to be a PC centric company until they ponied up with Microsoft during the 7th gen and changed focus, they are just riding on the success that is Fortnite right now.

If anything I hope Valve takes note and starts smashing out Steam-exclusives like Left 4 Dead, Half Life, Portal, DOTA, Counter-Strike and Team Fortress releases..

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--