By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Metro dev says next game won't be on PC if players boycott. EDIT: Official Statement made

Pemalite said: 
DreadPirateRoberts said:

I think 99% of people whining about it only care because they have Steam and only want Steam.  So is a game being exclusive to another store a problem? No more than a game being exclusive to Steam is. So if that is really your complaint, then I hope you are being consistent about it.  

People are mad because their having to face a trifling inconvenience of opening another launcher is more important to them than Valve abusing its market position to gouge the devs out of millions of dollars is.

No. Consumers are "mad" because they decided to vote with their wallets and not support said game on yet another digital distribution platform... And were essentially blackmailed/threatened over it... Rather than have the company simply listen to what consumers wanted.

Why couldn't they simply do a Day 1 release on all digital distribution platforms? It's the PC.

I mean, you literally agreed with me.  Some gamers are mad that the game isn't on Steam.  And I agree.  That's what this is about.  As for why they couldn't simply do a Day 1 release on all platforms: because that would guarantee that Steam gets the overwhelming majority of sales which would in turn undermine the devs' efforts to protest Valve's price gouging.  The game got moved from Steam (pre-existing pre-orders aside) because of Valve's behaviour.   

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
eva01beserk said:

There is no counter. Its more of like a sensitivity bar. Im at 3 and you guys at 9. Nothing I say will change how you feel. 

Nothing anyone has said to you will change how you feel either. So, no sense in calling anyone sensitive when they've been debating with you in the same fashion that you have with them.

Thats right. Im not gona pretend Im above anyone else. It was also part of what I was trying to say. But the sensitivity bar thing was an analogy, I was not trying to call people sensitive per say. Im sorry about that.

Im trying to say that I believe this is a simple issue, not hard for anyone to grasp at all, so there is no much need for explanations by any side. Its as simple as you are in or not at this point.

But I will say That I have no skin on this game since Im not intested in pc gaming at all. I know people will think I just dont care, I think im objective cuz im impartial. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:
CGI-Quality said:

Nothing anyone has said to you will change how you feel either. So, no sense in calling anyone sensitive when they've been debating with you in the same fashion that you have with them.

Thats right. Im not gona pretend Im above anyone else. It was also part of what I was trying to say. But the sensitivity bar thing was an analogy, I was not trying to call people sensitive per say. Im sorry about that.

Im trying to say that I believe this is a simple issue, not hard for anyone to grasp at all, so there is no much need for explanations by any side. Its as simple as you are in or not at this point.

But I will say That I have no skin on this game since Im not intested in pc gaming at all. I know people will think I just dont care, I think im objective cuz im impartial. 

But you haven't been objective during this entire thread. Other people have given and pointed out objective facts.

You've basically been proven wrong and you're wanting to argue that point away. it's not going to change, just like how CGI pointed out on you not wanting to change either, so it's basically become a dead argument, a dead discussion. 

See, you don't care that you're not into the platform, yet you willingly refuse to understand and stamp the matter as "non important", but you got given core examples and evidence as to why it is the complete opposite. It's not that much different than all the other folk who have come in here and basically played the entitlement card. None of which have helped nor added anything to this discussion. If PC gaming doesn't interest you all that much, then why did you come into this thread, that specially talked about a PC issue in the first place?. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Honestly, I find this thread pointless at this point. The people arguing for gamer entitlement seem to be willfully ignoring opposing viewpoints. You cannot have a debate if one side refuses to present an argument and ignores the opposing argument. I've logged into this thread 1 or 2 times a day since it's been opened. I see posts that make statements that have been answered for days. I mean Wyrdness put up a chart for gods sake. Multiple people have mentioned the lack of offline play, lack of refund policy, and physical copies being swapped to Epic Game Store Keys when Steam keys were promised. I mean what are we doing here?

Wyrdness said:
eva01beserk said:

There is no counter. Its more of like a sensitivity bar. Im at 3 and you guys at 9. Nothing I say will change how you feel. 

You never presented nothing to begin with that's the problem it's nothing more than a basic side step where one side presents their argument which is even backed up as well and the other side dodges the debate entirely, it's especially face palm worthy in this thread where the other side are simply coming into the debate with the entitled angle one after the other despite people through out the thread detailing the situation literally someone gets done highlighting the situation and the next post is "So Steam should be the only store allowed?". Fact is objective arguments have been put forward and not one objective response has really been to debunk anything.

I did before. I even said that epic store not having offline play is a definitely a reason to not buy this game. Also that in the regions where the game is still the same price as steam without having the features. Then I was told the main problem with the whole thing is the anti consumer / anti competitive of the game being pulled only 2 weeks before released, while still being available for everyone at no extra cost on the same platform they still all own. I dint even considering that to be even a issue. It dosent even make sense to me to be upset about that. Hurts nobody and helps the devs.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Chazore said:
eva01beserk said:

But you haven't been objective during this entire thread. Other people have given and pointed out objective facts.

You've basically been proven wrong and you're wanting to argue that point away. it's not going to change, just like how CGI pointed out on you not wanting to change either, so it's basically become a dead argument, a dead discussion. 

See, you don't care that you're not into the platform, yet you willingly refuse to understand and stamp the matter as "non important", but you got given core examples and evidence as to why it is the complete opposite. It's not that much different than all the other folk who have come in here and basically played the entitlement card. None of which have helped nor added anything to this discussion. If PC gaming doesn't interest you all that much, then why did you come into this thread, that specially talked about a PC issue in the first place?. 

Then you should read more carefully. But Im sure that wont matter to you. I saw the evidence and I even agreed to most points. But Im sure you just missed that. CGI pointed out to me that the main issue is the game being pulled 2 weeks before release, and like I said in the previous post, I believe it to be so minuscule that I dint even think people had an issue with that. And that one issue alone yea I will say is not important at all.

I will say that it does sound like im calling people entitled. Im really trying to not sound like that. I really dont like people accusing others like that. Specially since non gamers tend to label all gamers like that when any little complain happens. 

My very first post should tell you why Im commenting even if not not a pc gamer. Because of peoples reaction is to hurt the devs, review bombs and boycott's. I even said it that I dont believe they are to blame, and this boycott is mainly hurting them and not the real culprits who are epic and "Deep silver"? Its deep something, I cant say I remember the name. This misplaced outrage will hurt all gamers as they dont only make pc games.

eva01beserk said:

Then you should read more carefully. But Im sure that wont matter to you. I saw the evidence and I even agreed to most points. But Im sure you just missed that. CGI pointed out to me that the main issue is the game being pulled 2 weeks before release, and like I said in the previous post, I believe it to be so minuscule that I dint even think people had an issue with that. And that one issue alone yea I will say is not important at all.

I will say that it does sound like im calling people entitled. Im really trying to not sound like that. I really dont like people accusing others like that. Specially since non gamers tend to label all gamers like that when any little complain happens. 

My very first post should tell you why Im commenting even if not not a pc gamer. Because of peoples reaction is to hurt the devs, review bombs and boycott's. I even said it that I dont believe they are to blame, and this boycott is mainly hurting them and not the real culprits who are epic and "Deep silver"? Its deep something, I cant say I remember the name. This misplaced outrage will hurt all gamers as they dont only make pc games.

No, I read the last parts, it just took you numerous posts to come to a slight agreement to one of them, but largely you've remained unchanged from what was presented to you, and it taking this long and this many people to explain it to you, doesn't exactly count as remaining "objective" to the issue at hand. 

Yeah, it's not important to you, but it is important to others, myself included. The same thing could be thrown back at you when you face an issue you believe is big, and others finding it a non issue to them, then you'll understand where the current side facing issues at this moment are coming from. 

It's not so much as using the entitlement card, but understanding it's actual use. People these days end up misusing the world entitlement, and end up applying it to a situation or a person improperly. In this case, with what's been going on between the publisher and Epic games, in regards to consumer options, trust and generally sticking to what was advertised, I wouldn't even pen it down as entitlement. I wouldn't specifically say you're using that card all the way through with your discussion, but it has contained a few hints of it. It's not exactly on the same level as what Hynad was going with though.

You see, I know you want to have good intentions, but the way you're already approaching the start of this thread, has you instantly siding with the devs, who aren't exactly the kind of people you should always look out for, right off the bat. The consumers are what even allow for games to exist, since it is our money that fund these games, so surely you would have and share some sort of empathy and compassion for the same base you hail from. I know I stand primarily for consumer rights and pro consumer practices, because we are the lifeblood of any industry out there. The devs I would stand for second, but only if they are who they are, and not simply pretending to be something they are not. When a dev threatens it's userbase, then I cannot side with them, because you should never bite the hand that feeds you, even if a portion of that base can come off as toxic, you must always keep your composure as a dev and never stoop low. 

believe it or not, but writing one angry email letter does absolutely nothing when you've got the likes of big publishers like EA, Ubisoft, Activision, Deep Silver etc at the helm. Emails don't voice anything and hardly do much these days. Tweets can possibly do something, but again they can also be washed away, blocked or simply ignored by the ones running the show. Review bombing however cannot be ignored, and instead it brings further attention towards both the devs and those seeking to buy said game for the first time. it actually alerts newcomers to what the devs might have dev/publisher has done wrong. Review bombing is usually painted in bad faith, rather than actually studying as to why those games were bombed in the first place (like when China gamers bombed some games because they were ignored when they had already asked plenty of times for said games to have their native tongue patched in).

See, without user reviews, we've really got no voice. Forums don't really bring much attention towards devs, let alone the public eye, and neither do youtube vids, which again don't work well unless you're someone like Yong/Quarterly, and don't get copyright claimed by the opposing dev/publisher (because that does happen). User reviews are up front and center when you're wanting to buy a game on Steam. They come straight from users who have bought and played the games. You can even see how long they've played said games for and vote up their reviews or downvote them to tell others if said reviews were helpful/non-helpful. We don't have anything like that on any other client storefront and it's why we argue heavily for that feature, because it lets us have a voice, which like it or not is very important for consumers. To want that taken away means to take away the voice of the consumer, which isn't something a consumer should ever want. 

The only ones it will hurt in the end will be DS, as they've already paid 4A games for their work and they were the ones who willingly made the deal with EGS. EGS is already trying to cover their hides with "exclusives are fair competition on PC storefronts", when in reality, that's not what some of us users want. 

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

eva01beserk said:

I did before. I even said that epic store not having offline play is a definitely a reason to not buy this game. Also that in the regions where the game is still the same price as steam without having the features. Then I was told the main problem with the whole thing is the anti consumer / anti competitive of the game being pulled only 2 weeks before released, while still being available for everyone at no extra cost on the same platform they still all own. I dint even considering that to be even a issue. It dosent even make sense to me to be upset about that. Hurts nobody and helps the devs.

You never actually presented any counter argument you simply said ok and never addressed what people put forward, even in this post here is a prime example of what I mean you're saying you don't consider it an issue with out saying why that's nothing more than a side step as it doesn't address how consumer choice of store has been taken away to push an inferior store because of money-hatting, it doesn't address how these practices are actually more akin to monopolies, it doesn't address the force used of ES for those who pre-ordered physical, it doesn't address how those who may be using linux are now forced to wait no matter what, it doesn't address how if someone prefers a certain controller they're either forced to not use it or have to wait as well etc....

These are objective things that you and others taking your stance have simply not addressed yet still want to argue the other side's case which is why you saying it hurts nobody while never addressing objective points is a bit off. It doesn't even help the devs either as the extra $2 a sale goes only to the publisher and as Titanfall showed such handling of a game can not only affect sales but also have a knock on effect on the series.

Wyrdness said:
eva01beserk said:

You never actually presented any counter argument you simply said ok and never addressed what people put forward, even in this post here is a prime example of what I mean you're saying you don't consider it an issue with out saying why that's nothing more than a side step as it doesn't address how consumer choice of store has been taken away to push an inferior store because of money-hatting, it doesn't address how these practices are actually more akin to monopolies, it doesn't address the force used of ES for those who pre-ordered physical, it doesn't address how those who may be using linux are now forced to wait no matter what, it doesn't address how if someone prefers a certain controller they're either forced to not use it or have to wait as well etc....

These are objective things that you and others taking your stance have simply not addressed yet still want to argue the other side's case which is why you saying it hurts nobody while never addressing objective points is a bit off. It doesn't even help the devs either as the extra $2 a sale goes only to the publisher and as Titanfall showed such handling of a game can not only affect sales but also have a knock on effect on the series.

You just dont want to accept what Im saying. Even in what Im saying wich I said multiple times by now, I have never rejected anything of what you have said. I have agreed to pretty much most of what you and others have presented. I barely have any counter arguments as I agree with most. Just think that the reaction is blown out of proportion.

Is this money hatting akin to a monopoly? yes I believe it is. How does it affect users at the end? Can you not buy the game? Does it cost more? on this point alone, since there are no consequences at all for the consumer, its so far not an issue. Just a bit of preference.

Epic sucking and lacking features. Again, agree. The one and only thing for me is that It cant play offline. Said this multiple times. talking for myself here but I would not buy an online only game. ever. And this game is single player if there is no way that I would consider that reasonable to play a single player game and be required to always be online.

Thouse who preorder physical not getting getting a digital code now, thats definitely bad. Agree with you again. Of this I dont know anything really. If steam promised a disc and epic now said no you are not getting one, that would be really crappy. Talking for myself here, but for me that is unacceptable, Im physical only so I would demand a refund. Something tells me thats not a big number for PC gamers. Not that im saying its acceptable because its few people.

The linux argument is the first time I hear it on this, unless I skiped it. Im to guess then that epic store does not work on linux yet. If true then again, I say that is crappy. Good reason to not buy a game.

Epic not using preferred controller, first time hearing it again. If true thats not good. Its not a dealbreaker by any means for me, but I can see how it could be for some.

When you say choice of store, Im guessing its because your choice of store would affect the things your getting like the stated above. If thats it, then yea, thats a good reason as well. Where everything to remain the same and its just go to this store over that one, the it would be fine, wich I know thats not the case.

Of the things you mentioned I have nothing to disagree with you about. I have somethings I dont agree with the rest wich Im tired of saying and people just bring up arguments im not even disagreeing with. But if you could stop lumping me with every other poster that you dont agree with and just believe Im saying the same, then we could advance.

What im actually against.

The main issue, wich is the point of this thread. The comment of the dev that people are reading a threat. I dont see what the guys said as an ultimatum like most think it is. To me some guy worried and upset for the reaction they are getting for something thats out of their hands. I dont think they should get all this hate for something done by their publisher and epic. 

I dont agree with the review bomb of the other 2 metro games. Like that makes any sense. like chazore said above, its one of the only ways a regular joe can give his opinion. But again, its an opinion of the quality of the game, not what you perceive of the devs/publishers/epic. They are ruining one of the only ways for people to give an opinion of a game by basically bringing politics into something that should only be about the quality of the game, specially really old games that have nothing to do with whats happening now. 

The game being pulled from the store 2 weeks before releasing. Again, not a good thing and I definetly dont side with them for doing this. But this affects consumers so little that I really dont think thats an issue. You can still get the game on the same hardwar, just a difernt store front.

Pemalite said:
vivster said:

When was the last time a boycott actually boycotted? Koch has already won with the big money deal from Epic and Epic has already won by spreading their client. At this point it doesn't really matter anymore if the game only sells half as much as it would have. But I doubt that "boycott" will have any meaningful impact on sales in the first place. And if it has they'll just release the game on Steam. We already lost and they already won.

Battlefield 5 comes to mind.

I haven't really found any specific sales data. The only figures seem to compare its sales to Battlefield 1, which is one of the best received Battlefield games and the best selling. If years of being the most hated games company and supposed boycotts still cause a game to be sold in millions I doubt a supposed boycott of a semi popular game will do any damage.

In fact I believe this move will make the Epic games store a hell of a lot more popular and will create a serious alternative to Steam in the coming years.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.