By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft 2019 Super Bowl Ad: We All Win

Cobretti2 said: How is this ban worthy? hardly call it trolling

With a thread title like that I bet most of us did not expect to see that kind of commercial? If anything it was a nice surprise to see this new high tech controller that anyone can use.

Before I saw the video, I was thinking it be some sort of commercial about some new game that was more family oriented at home were you know we all can play together sitting in the living room (i.e. we all having fun there fore we all win).

Hell it could have been a new Madden ad with new game mechanics and a catchy new slogan.

I was on the ropes about that as well, but I guess you shouldn't admit you came into a thread to stir shit up.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Chazore said:

Why does it kill your motivation?. Going by your later logic, surely it wouldn't matter and be a good thing right?. I'm not a fan of religion myself, but a few of my friends are religious and I support them for their choices either way (just as long as they don't try to convert me).

I am an ardent Atheist. Either way, it's a discussion for another day. They simply will not get my support.

Chazore said:

Kickstarting, I dunno, I'm sure throughout history has at least designed a controller for the slightly disabled.

Edit: after some checking, it seems there have been gamepads and mods made for the disabled over the years: https://www.ranker.com/list/video-game-controllers-for-people-with-disabilities/nathan-gibson So this isn't exactly a first ever thing to be done before. Likely the first ever Superbowl ad for something like this, but we shouldn't put the ad above the act itself, an act already done before by others out there.

Of course it'll help their image, I wasn't expecting it to backfire or damage their image.

Oh yeah. There has been tons of attempts at making things accessible to the disabled over the years.
The Nintendo Wii was a big inroad to that as well.

Chazore said:

I to come from a similar background (two residential homes, owned in the past by my folks). I'm aware it's nothing new, but that doesn't mean it's alright for any company to make prime use of the disabled, like an upcoming president campaigner does when using someone's baby for PR.

End of the day it's great that the disabled get more going for them. I just wish these companies displayed this level of caring a decade or two ago, because to me it doesn't feel genuine, it feels like using them, and no one likes the disabled being taken advantage of PR or not.

It's a catch 22. Those with disabilities can often be under-represented and thus go unnoticed by the general community.
And I agree, it would have been good to see them start making inroads decades ago, but for whatever reasons... Didn't happen.

And to be fair, they have been supporting those with disabilities on Windows since the early 90's.

But on the flipside, it's happening now and credit should be given where credit is due, it's always easy for everyone to simply hate on . - Microsoft is allot of things and deserves allot of it's criticisms, I just don't feel this is one of them.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

RolStoppable said:
mjk45 said:

I feel that people aren't questioning the device or it's role in helping people but are pointing out that MS putting this on Superbowl isn't based on just altruism alone, it also gives MS good PR, now while people pointing this out are most likely doing so to try to show that Companies aren't altruistic Saints , it is something that once mentioned doesn't need to  be pushed any further, since the greatest benefit is likely to be found in increasing awareness for people with disabilities to a global audience. and that trumps them all.

While the Super Bowl is broadcasted globally, local broadcasters in each country put in their own ads during the breaks. Understandably, because they aren't going to broadcast ads from American companies that they get no money from while they have to pay the NFL for the broadcasting rights of the Super Bowl.

Super Bowl game and halftime show have a global audience, the ads don't.

While you are correct in that the ads are regional when it comes to live broadcast , there is a global audience for these ads it's just that the publicity is now  generated from the fact that they are Super bowl ads. I live in Australia and super bowl week is full of morning TV shows and news on all the the main TV channels talking about and showing these Ads then there's the social media impact of people talking about and viewing them. 

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Pretty awesome ad. This device had been around for a couple of years now. Finally it's getting some recognition.

That particular post has over 20 "agrees with"... Savage.

Kerotan said:
EricHiggin said:
It's a thoughtful product, and good on MS for bringing it to market, but the ad feels more like a charity ad then a gaming ad. I mean an entire 2 minute spot and no games shown whatsoever?

It's more a PR exercise then an advertising campaign. They are looking to improve the image of their brand rather then make straight sales of this product. Obviously it will help it sell but it's a niche market.

As far as PR campaigns go this is a very good one.

Edit:

This was taken the wrong way. Saying it's a niche market from an advertising point of view is a compliment to Microsoft because the financial reward from this is likely not big. Yet they are still putting in a great effort to help disabled gamers. That's great PR for the brand and image. 

You hit the nail on the head. They are doing a good thing, but this is one of the only good thinks they couldve marketed in years.

Around the Network

It's a great ad. Well done Microsoft, that product is really something amazing.

Cobretti2 said:
DonFerrari said:

I came to mock the "everybody win" because they are dead last. By the idea of the controller and the ad is great and the initiative from MS is fantastic, kudos.

BANNED: Trolling ~ CGI

How is this ban worthy? hardly call it trolling

With a thread title like that I bet most of us did not expect to see that kind of commercial? If anything it was a nice surprise to see this new high tech controller that anyone can use.

Before I saw the video, I was thinking it be some sort of commercial about some new game that was more family oriented at home were you know we all can play together sitting in the living room (i.e. we all having fun there fore we all win).

Hell it could have been a new Madden ad with new game mechanics and a catchy new slogan.

I had the same questioning.

We mock companies failed PR, and that is what I expected and was genuinely surprised and happy, commended them on it. But well ok.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Heartwarming video.

Refreshing to see a company focus on something other than gender and political correctness.