By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Nintendo Switch sold 14.49 million from Apr-Dec 2018. Apr-18 - Mar-19 Forecast 17 million

SKMBlake said:
Noobie said:

In Jan-Mar Quarter of 2018, Nintendo shipped 2.93 million and so far this financial year their non-holiday quarters have been less than stellar. 

So adding 2.93 to 14.49 million would have given them 17.4 million. and expecting them to hit 18 million meant that they have to beat last year results by 20%, which is not an easy thing to do especially if there is no major software release on the horizon. 

So i think they have just been cautious which is a good thing at this point. 

New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe and Yoshi (so far)

I wouldn't bet on there being any other major titles this quarter. Also, Yoshi launches 48 hours before the financial year ends - so it's obviously not going to drive any meaningful hardware sales. Nintendo will be getting their ducks in order for the next financial year rather than banking anything on this quarter. Profit, revenue and software targets are all on track, after all.

Around the Network
kazuyamishima said:
Just to make sure

Nintendo data always shows units shipped whilst Sony shows units sold through costumers, Am I right?

Yes and No.

When sony gives official data like this they too are talking about shipped units.

Only difference is that sony gives "milestone" updates every now ad again disclosing sold to customers numbers too. 

Sony we will be getting sonys FY 2018-2019 Q3 report to. And then they will either raise their projections, drop it or keep it as is. 

Farsala said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
I just realized something, maybe Nintendo shifted their prediction to 17m because they believe that is a much easier goal to not only achieve but to also exceed (like say with sales of 18M) and has a more positive effect overall than forecasting 20m but being off by 2m.

Forecasts have much more to do with production imo, as well as their book keeping. They only plan to produce and ship 2.5m more for the rest of their FY. They won't manufacture significantly more or less than 17m. That means if sales all of a sudden skyrocketed to the point that they would need to produce 19-21m, we would see major stock problems.

I'm going to steal this and post it in the weekly Media Create threads to kind of remind people why the PS4 is selling the way it is.

Intrinsic said:
kazuyamishima said:
Just to make sure

Nintendo data always shows units shipped whilst Sony shows units sold through costumers, Am I right?

Yes and No.

When sony gives official data like this they too are talking about shipped units.

Only difference is that sony gives "milestone" updates every now ad again disclosing sold to customers numbers too. 

Sony we will be getting sonys FY 2018-2019 Q3 report to. And then they will either raise their projections, drop it or keep it as is. 

Do you know when are we getting Sony's report?

OT: Amazing sales, only could look bad just because the original goal was very high. 17 million forecast is very good 

pastro243 said:
Intrinsic said:

Yes and No.

Do you know when are we getting Sony's report?

OT: Amazing sales, only could look bad just because the original goal was very high. 17 million forecast is very good 

Sony releases their earnings 3:15 AM EST 2/1 about 17 hours

Around the Network

DP

PwerlvlAmy said:
StarDoor said:

Being 2.5 million ahead of last year is flat?

Anything to downplay Nintendo at this point.

on topic of them being off 3m. I could've sworn there was a member here that predicted that to a T.  Forgot who.

Ya, it is pretty funny, the guy who literally cannot let go of this site, and still lurks on this site despite being perma banned (can you talk about desperate) is trying to brag when he himself is off 3 million plus. That itself tells you what type of person he is. 

17 million is line with my 16-18 million prediction at the start of the year, I think I have it somewhere. 

*shipped, not sold

gemini_d@rk said:
Taking into account the rapid life cycles of nintendo consoles, we will see the peak between this year and next year, and then begin the falls.

Sad, but probably true.

RaptorChrist said:
gemini_d@rk said:
Taking into account the rapid life cycles of nintendo consoles, we will see the peak between this year and next year, and then begin the falls.

Sad, but probably true.

Ultimately by that time Nintendo hopefully creates more of a revenue shield with expanded media.