By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Please share your experience with projectors

I have been watching youtube videos on projectors now and then and thinking maybe to pick up some budget LED projector for youtube, movies and maybe some retro gaming on ps2 and ps3. I know that the quality won't be nearly as good as on a TV. I have an unused wall in my room for 100+ inch screens. I'm thinking this projector https://silelis.com/en/

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

I'm interested in feedbacks about projectors too! I might move in a new apartment soon, and it has a large white wall where I want to put the TV.
Since I need to buy a new TV anyway, I was thinking about maybe buying a projector. Don't know about the budget needed though...

Last edited by Faelco - on 22 January 2019

Im also considering getting a projector. The one you posted looks nice, but I dont think I can settle for anything less than 1080p native.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Here's the best resource when it comes to projectors
https://www.projectorcentral.com/

I started with a CRT projector late 90's on white washed wall. It was awesome and it even worked flawlessly with NVidia's 3D shutter glasses, CRT = no lag. Of course nowadays it's LCD, LED, DLP or Laser, all with digital processing introducing lag. Some projectors can have 80ms display lag so beware when using it for gaming.

I've been using a Panasonic 1080p projector since 2008 which has served me well with ps3, ps4, x360, switch, blu-ray, tv. It's great. However it has now been surpassed by tvs. Projectors lack in contrast and brightness (depending on screen size), HDR is definitely not as good as on tv. To improve contrast and color it's best to get a screen with it and make sure you can darken the room. Ideally you do not want bright walls or ceilings as any light cast by the projector will bounce around the room and destroy your black level. That's also what a directional screen is good for, less light reflected to and back from the sides.

This is my (advanced) set up (92" screen)

Of course starting out with the projector on a table onto a white wall, you will be impressed no matter what. That up there is rather expensive lol. I've used it extensively for 10 years, then VR replaced it for a year and now I'm mostly gaming on 65" 4K HDR. My kids use it now for Fortnite and Terraria (4 player split screen is so awesome on a projector!)

Things to look out for, how long does the lamp last and how much do replacement lamps cost. (CAD 600 for that one above every 2000 hours, ouch) Some lamps last longer than others, some go less bright over time and you can still use them. I have no experience with LED however.
DLP can cause rainbow flashes. Some people notice that more than others.
Laser has great durability, yet expensive.

I haven't upgraded yet to a native 4K HDR projector as it's $$$$$. TV tech is moving so fast atm that it's not worth it. 1080p projectors however are very affordable nowadays (mine was 4k dollars in 2008) and tons of fun. PS4 pro Horizon Zero Dawn looked absolutely gorgeous on that old 1080p projector. At that screen size you get the full benefit of super sampling.

The most important thing with projectors is controlling ambient light. You don't get blacks when your room is bright.

Oh, I just noticed, that one you linked, 800x480 native resolution, 1500:1 contrast, 1200 lumens, don't expect too much from that. That's very entry level. Mine is actually 1100 lumens which is just about enough to get cinema brightness on a 92" screen (15 Fl) and needs that room to be pretty much dark to get the best picture. Contrast wise my old projector is rated 11000:1 also rather low nowadays yet great for when it came out.

Compare to this::
https://www.projectorcentral.com/Optoma-HD143X.htm
3,000 lumens, 23,000:1 contrast ratio. That's a modern 1080p projector. It's $500 though and DLP which you probably want to check out in a store first.

https://www.projectorcentral.com/best-cheap-projectors.htm
'Cheap' is under $1000 ....

Last edited by SvennoJ - on 22 January 2019

Native 1080p for $250 not bad I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Portable-Theater-Display-Supports/dp/B07GXGW3B8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548167409&sr=8-7&keywords=projector+1080p

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network

Have a HD projector for around three years now. Works excellent and it is quite cool to use my wall as my screen. I have a Acer Predator Z650 DLP, if anyone is interested. It is brighter than I expected, but still direct sunlight though the window washs it out, so have something to darken it. Or use it after sunset. I used this model to, because my room is smaller than the distance needed for usual projectors, so this is a short distance projector. You may find something cheaper, if your room is bigger than mine. Paid 1000€.

3DS-FC: 4511-1768-7903 (Mii-Name: Mnementh), Nintendo-Network-ID: Mnementh, Switch: SW-7706-3819-9381 (Mnementh)

my greatest games: 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023

10 years greatest game event!

bets: [peak year] [+], [1], [2], [3], [4]

eva01beserk said:
Native 1080p for $250 not bad I think.
https://www.amazon.com/Projector-Portable-Theater-Display-Supports/dp/B07GXGW3B8/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1548167409&sr=8-7&keywords=projector+1080p

Beware, 200 Lumens is very low. Fun if you can make the room completely dark. Stuff like this "3 times higher resolution than most 480P projectors" also makes me scratch my head. 1080p is 6.75 x the resolution of 480p, what the heck are they talking about. 1080p is also 2 million dots, not 20 million. Dodgy.

Mnementh said:
Have a HD projector for around three years now. Works excellent and it is quite cool to use my wall as my screen. I have a Acer Predator Z650 DLP, if anyone is interested. It is brighter than I expected, but still direct sunlight though the window washs it out, so have something to darken it. Or use it after sunset. I used this model to, because my room is smaller than the distance needed for usual projectors, so this is a short distance projector. You may find something cheaper, if your room is bigger than mine. Paid 1000€.

Yeah, that one is rated

Brightness: 2,200 Lumens Contrast: 20,000:1

Don't waste your time with a 200 lumen projector.

SvennoJ said:

Of course starting out with the projector on a table onto a white wall, you will be impressed no matter what.

That is what I want to experience, but my wall is olive green so I need to get a screen.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

This is a complex subject.

First off you dnt really want t get anything that doesnt at least d 1080p. Don't forget that whatever you are watching is going to be blown up to 80-100"+.

Secondly you want a projectr that has an output f at least 1500 lumens. More specifically a real world use case of around 800 to 1200 lumens. Projectorcentral is a god resource for projectors, price and lumens.

There you also have to know that having a projector is a lifestyle change. You can't just et one and hook it up and call it a day. And if you g about it like that you will end up spending more money at the end of the day than you may have planned to. You also need to be sure if you want a short throw PJ or a normal one.

You should also consider getting a screen for it. That wall may seem k but what they dont tell you is that blasting bright light at an imperfect well will also light up all its imperfections.

My advice, up your budget to around $700. You can et a decent 1080p PJ and a 92" fixed frame screen at that price point. Though right now the best way to o as fr screens is with an ALR screen..... but thats anther matter.

Honestly, my best advice would be that you forget abut projectors, save up your money and buy a 65/75" 4k T with HDR......... even if it means you buying it used.