By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why games like Smash selling like they are helps the industry...

Shiken said:

GOWTLOZ said:
The games you listed have many remasters, so are you trying to say that the industry can see that remastering relatively new games on new platforms sell? If so, Square Enix and Sony already showed it with Tomb Raider and The Last of Us.

Yet you get publishers that after this claimong that the future is online games with content being delivered piece by piece and littered with micro transactions.  The games you mentioned were before such claims were made.

So with it happening with more recent games after this big lootbox push, and games like SFV and Battlefront  2 flopped is much more meaningful now as it proves those claims to be wrong.

Also the mention of remasters is not to say that remasters sell, the point went entirely over your head.  If that were the case, LA Noir would have sold gangbusters compared to the PS360 release.  But it didn't because a flawed game is still a flawed game.

The point that was that a remaster of a quality game will sell better than a shady multiplayer only game with shady practices and loot boxes, despite how publishers try to spin it.  And that speaks volumes about what is really important to consumers as a whole.

I don't think there is much to be seen here. Complete games that are well made and have amazing marketing with mass appeal sell. We saw it right before the Switch released with Horizon Zero Dawn.

You claim that, but people were legitimately scared when publishers said otherwise that quality in games would take a nose dive.  This is why people made such a big deal about Breath of the Wild and God of War, but still nay sayers would try to say that those were unique situations.  As time goes on however, that is proven not to be the case.

Remasters sell well on new consoles where the game itself still has enough hype and its on a new console where there are fewer games and no new game in the series in sight.

Games with loot boxes can succeed such as Overwatch. Consumers still prefer their games to be without loot boxes but the game itself is the main deciding factor on whether they will buy it. LA Noire released too late on PS4 and Xbox One where they already had a ton of open world games and on Switch it released near much more hyped games.

I understand your points though and wholeheartedly agree.

Around the Network

there are many factors how good a game will be sold, first of all naturally the quality of a game, second how much advertisement a game got, third if it's a well known ip (if it's the second or third sequel of a great game)

Shiken said:
kirby007 said:
Whats this about blops4?

After all of the positive reviews came in and they got their metacritic score, they increased the grind and added micro transactions.

Oh wow, I didn't knew that! That must be next level shittiness.

Cerebralbore101 said:
But Smash Ultimate is a port! They just tacked on a massive single player mode, rebalanced every character, and expanded the roster of Smash 4 by 15 (echoes/dlc not included). And then they included the Smash meter, and spirits so that you can customize every fighter. If Smash Meter is allowed in tournaments it will shake the entire meta up. Same goes for spirits.

I don't know if this is a joke or you actually think this. I thought most people basically were sold on it being a new game after the august direct, but oh well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ 

GoOnKid said:
Shiken said:

After all of the positive reviews came in and they got their metacritic score, they increased the grind and added micro transactions.

Which is weird as it doesnt actually effect the actual gameplay

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network

And this is exactly why I've been saying that Gaming is better now than it ever has been. Sure, you got the bullshit with certain third party games that are stuffed to the brim with microtransactions and the like...but we've been getting exclusives that are amazing, huge games that are filled with detail and love, indies that are unique and tell VERY good stories or have brand new mechanics, and even shitty sports games are arguably the best they've ever been (Even if the yearly changes are just iterative.)

You can literally never play a game with a microtransaction within it and still be overwhelmed with great games to play to the point you can't keep up. I could personally never buy another game in my life and still keep myself happy for years upon years based on the collection of games I have that I've never played/beaten. And the last two years (2017, 2018) have probably been the best years in gaming for me, personally, since 1994-1996 (When many of my all-time favorites on the SNES came out in quick succession). And I don't touch games with microtransactions.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Wish investors/execs would realize this, but they will just likely see their game losing money and go "oh, we need to add more microtransactions to make up for lost sales."

bluemlittlem said:
Cerebralbore101 said:
But Smash Ultimate is a port! They just tacked on a massive single player mode, rebalanced every character, and expanded the roster of Smash 4 by 15 (echoes/dlc not included). And then they included the Smash meter, and spirits so that you can customize every fighter. If Smash Meter is allowed in tournaments it will shake the entire meta up. Same goes for spirits.

I don't know if this is a joke or you actually think this. I thought most people basically were sold on it being a new game after the august direct, but oh well. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ 

It was a joke. Anybody that legit thinks Smash Ultimate is a port hasn't played it. The amount of content not in Smash 4 is mind boggling. 

ZODIARKrebirth said:
there are many factors how good a game will be sold, first of all naturally the quality of a game, second how much advertisement a game got, third if it's a well known ip (if it's the second or third sequel of a great game)

Which is why I am glad Fallout 76, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2 got the negative attention that it did.  Those are all big name IPs, had a ton of advertising, but lacked quality.  Had Smash lacked the quality it has or had a lack of content, IP or advertising alone would not have saved it.  That is a good thing and why everyone should be happy about the success of games like Smash, God of War, and Breath of the Wild, regardless of your personal preferences.  Because it means that quality is still the most important factor in the end.

kirby007 said:
GoOnKid said:

The problem is that it is a full retail 60 dollar game being treated like Fortnite, which is free to play.  Regardless of if it affects gameplay or not, progression should not be locked behind a paywall for a retail game...PERIOD.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Shiken said:
ZODIARKrebirth said:

Which is why I am glad Fallout 76, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2 got the negative attention that it did.  Those are all big name IPs, had a ton of advertising, but lacked quality.  Had Smash lacked the quality it has or had a lack of content, IP or advertising alone would not have saved it.  That is a good thing and why everyone should be happy about the success of games like Smash, God of War, and Breath of the Wild, regardless of your personal preferences.  Because it means that quality is still the most important factor in the end.

kirby007 said:

The problem is that it is a full retail 60 dollar game being treated like Fortnite, which is free to play.  Regardless of if it affects gameplay or not, progression should not be locked behind a paywall for a retail game...PERIOD.

What progression? 

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.