By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Surprise!* EA Cancels Open World Star Wars Game

twintail said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Signing up with one publisher IN GENERAL is such a confusing decision to make anyways. Not to sound like a hippie, but there just seems to be way more potential with licensing out the property to multiple capable companies. More games, more titles, more of a chance for greater profit and quality. Of course licensing it out to too many people could be a problem, but still.

I'll be glad when a more interesting company takes the Star Wars games into their hands.

I dont think going with EA exclusively was an inherently bad idea, but on hindsight it sure has been.

Yeah mind you I'm not usually the kind of guy that just puts down anything made by a big notorious publisher. I don't think it's *inherently* a bad idea. Just not what I would have preferred :) multiple companies taking a crack at it (though with restrictions ofc) was the best thing I think. Though hindsight is 2020 

Around the Network

God I feel so bad for the Star Wars IP. It get's stuck with Disney, one of the biggest money-whore companies ever to exist, and on the games side it get's stuck with EA, which is fucking EA.
RIP good Star Wars content

Was this the reason why Amy Hennig left the studio? I meaning because of EA?

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Faelco said:
twintail said:

I dont think going with EA exclusively was an inherently bad idea, but on hindsight it sure has been.

Though I do wonder if Disney is involved in some way... like they have more creative control that is derailing some aspects of the project. its not like Disney seems upset

Supposedly the CEO of Disney called EA during the Battlefront 2 debacle to tell them to get their shit together. 

Supposedly. 

Oh right, I do recall this news. Maybe they just had a good laugh with one another lol :/

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
twintail said:

Yeah mind you I'm not usually the kind of guy that just puts down anything made by a big notorious publisher. I don't think it's *inherently* a bad idea. Just not what I would have preferred :) multiple companies taking a crack at it (though with restrictions ofc) was the best thing I think. Though hindsight is 2020 

Indeed. How marvel is doing it is probably best. Granted it also means exclusive games which may or may not be good. Oh Well... One day we will get a good star wars again.

Imagine if they just let visceral make a dead space SW game...

Psst, Disney, go talk to Nintendo...

What? Come on, you know a Retro Studios Star Wars game would be the hypest fucking thing since Metroid Prime. Cancel that dumb Star Fox racing game that's obviously going nowhere and make an open world Star Wars game that'll make Mass Effect blush.

Edit: Come to think of it, even if Disney doesn't talk to you, Nintendo, cancel the Star Fox racing game and have them make the game I just described, but with Star Fox instead, since Disney's too stupid to do it with Star Wars. Han Solo was a smuggler, Boba Fett was a bounty hunter, the Star Fox team in a game like this would basically be a cross between the two, mercenaries for hire.

Last edited by HylianSwordsman - on 15 January 2019

Around the Network
gemini_d@rk said:

Star Wars in a sony first party studio it would be interesting. Come on Disney!

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I think Disney should just team up with Sony exclusively across the board. All Marvell, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney games built in exclusive partnership with SIEWWS. The two can grab the best talent from SIEWWS for select titles, and partner with AAA independent studios for others. It would be win win for both of them.

EA are the worst place to exclusively licenses. I know these IP holders want their product on every device, but having a trash title on everything benefits no one. Industry leading 1st Party Exclusive are the way to go.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Rafie said:

Yeah, pretty much. The Amy Hennig game at Visceral was originally supposed to be a linear singleplayer game set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back that played alot like Uncharted, including parkour elements that let you climb buildings to flank enemies during combat and such, with a team of characters which you can see below, a smuggler, a mercenary alien, a crime boss' daughter, a droid, a force sensitive alien, and don't remember who the other girl was. 

Supposedly, while it was in development, EA decided that a linear singleplayer game wouldn't be profitable, so they told Amy Hennig and her team to turn it into an open world game with microtransactions, to increase it's chance of profitability. Amy Hennig resisted, and Visceral was shut down by EA. The game was then moved to EA Vancouver with EA Motive assisting, with Jade Raymond (former Assassin's Creed producer) put in charge of reusing Visceral's assets to make the open world, microtransaction heavy Star Wars game that EA wanted. However, when Jade Raymond left EA late last year it was a pretty good indicator that the game was in trouble, and indeed, now it seems that it is cancelled. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 January 2019

Just remake Kotor please. I can't remember the last good star wars single player game... Kotor 2? Jesus...

ironmanDX said:
Just remake Kotor please. I can't remember the last good star wars single player game... Kotor 2? Jesus...

Yep, it was Kotor 2. Force Unleashed was ok, but it had serious flaws that held it back from being good. 

Kotor 1 and 2 remakes would be dope, I'd buy the hell out of them if they made them, but sadly EA is too stupid to do that. There was a fan remake of Kotor 1 on Unreal 4 that was in development and making nice progress, but sadly EA shut it down last year. 

Let us just hope that Respawn's Jedi: Fallen Order is good. All the pieces are lining up for it to be good with one exception, EA involvement. Stig Asmussen, God of War 3 director is directing it, so you know that the lightsaber combat will be good. The narrative director worked on the writing teams for Far Cry 3, Bioshock Infinite, Assassin's Creed 4, and Mafia 3, so the story should be good. Other senior positions are held by devs who worked on God of War, Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Middle Earth: Shadow of War, and World of Warcraft. We know it is set 4 years after episode 3, and focuses on a Padawan who survived Order 66 trying to survive being hunted by the Emperor's Inquisitors. Let's just hope that EA didn't muck it up too much. 

Last edited by shikamaru317 - on 15 January 2019

shikamaru317 said:
Rafie said:

Yeah, pretty much. The Amy Hennig game at Visceral was originally supposed to be a linear singleplayer game set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back that played alot like Uncharted, including parkour elements that let you climb buildings to flank enemies during combat and such, with a team of characters which you can see below, a smuggler, a mercenary alien, a crime boss' daughter, a droid, a force sensitive alien, and don't remember who the other girl was. 

Supposedly, while it was in development, EA decided that a linear singleplayer game wouldn't be profitable, so they told Amy Hennig and her team to turn it into an open world game with microtransactions, to increase it's chance of profitability. Amy Hennig resisted, and Visceral was shut down by EA. The game was then moved to EA Vancouver with EA Motive assisting, with Jade Raymond (former Assassin's Creed producer) put in charge of reusing Visceral's assets to make the open world, microtransaction heavy Star Wars game that EA wanted. However, when Jade Raymond left EA late last year it was a pretty good indicator that the game was in trouble, and indeed, now it seems that it is cancelled. 

Wow. That sounded like an overly ambitious game. It sounded like it was gonna be fun. I can see why EA is hated the most out of all the gaming companies. They knew gamers would enjoy something like this, but have to line their pockets with dreadful business tactics like microtransactions. Foolishness indeed. EA handling the Star Wars license is starting to sound like a disaster.

PSN ID- Rafie27

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron