By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - *Surprise!* EA Cancels Open World Star Wars Game

gemini_d@rk said:

Star Wars in a sony first party studio it would be interesting. Come on Disney!

My thoughts exactly. In fact, I think Disney should just team up with Sony exclusively across the board. All Marvell, Star Wars, Pixar, and Disney games built in exclusive partnership with SIEWWS. The two can grab the best talent from SIEWWS for select titles, and partner with AAA independent studios for others. It would be win win for both of them.

EA are the worst place to exclusively licenses. I know these IP holders want their product on every device, but having a trash title on everything benefits no one. Industry leading 1st Party Exclusive are the way to go.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Just remake Kotor please. I can't remember the last good star wars single player game... Kotor 2? Jesus...

shikamaru317 said:
Rafie said:
Was this the reason why Amy Hennig left the studio? I meaning because of EA?

Yeah, pretty much. The Amy Hennig game at Visceral was originally supposed to be a linear singleplayer game set between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back that played alot like Uncharted, including parkour elements that let you climb buildings to flank enemies during combat and such, with a team of characters which you can see below, a smuggler, a mercenary alien, a crime boss' daughter, a droid, a force sensitive alien, and don't remember who the other girl was. 

Supposedly, while it was in development, EA decided that a linear singleplayer game wouldn't be profitable, so they told Amy Hennig and her team to turn it into an open world game with microtransactions, to increase it's chance of profitability. Amy Hennig resisted, and Visceral was shut down by EA. The game was then moved to EA Vancouver with EA Motive assisting, with Jade Raymond (former Assassin's Creed producer) put in charge of reusing Visceral's assets to make the open world, microtransaction heavy Star Wars game that EA wanted. However, when Jade Raymond left EA late last year it was a pretty good indicator that the game was in trouble, and indeed, now it seems that it is cancelled. 

Wow. That sounded like an overly ambitious game. It sounded like it was gonna be fun. I can see why EA is hated the most out of all the gaming companies. They knew gamers would enjoy something like this, but have to line their pockets with dreadful business tactics like microtransactions. Foolishness indeed. EA handling the Star Wars license is starting to sound like a disaster.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

Before EA we basically got a new Star Wars game every year, since EA signed the deal with Disney we have gotten like 3 star wars games (Battlefront 1 & 2, and a Lego game that isn't even EA's). This sucks, right now all we are looking at is Respawns Star Wars title coming soon (It should be good), and possibly a Battlefront 3, although that series could be cursed to never have a 3rd entry since BF2 (2017) was a disaster in sales and to the fans.

The sooner EA goes bust, the better for all the IP's that have been held hostage by this greedy company. Sadly though, this won't happen due to the high sales of Fifa and Madden. I've heard that most of these shady business practises are due to their CEO Andrew Wilson. Maybe EA will improve if they replace their CEO? I highly doubt it though.

Around the Network

They couldn't make the open world big enough to fit all their loot boxes. Shame, the technology just isn't there yet.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

How is it that one company as big as EA can fail so spectacularly at making Star Wars games? Well, at least that will teach Disney to not give full control of such a big IP to a sketchy publisher.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I'm pretty sure they would have better games of Star Wars if they had done like Marvel and asked Sony to dedicate a dev or oversee the game on a second party studio.

And mind you I'm not suggesting SW exclusive to PS4. I'm saying they could allow use of the IP for one game on a Sony studio, with no constrain on they doing same for Nintendo and MS.

We didn't had much problems during SNES with two different companies developing titles like Lion King for SNES and Genesis and releasing close together.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 16 January 2019

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Of course they did, and i have no faith that Disney will do what is right and take away the license

Remove EAs license. Resurrect Lucasarts. Bring back the old model.