By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do you keep playing a bad game?

COKTOE said:
I played Monster Jam:Battlegrounds, which I got in summer 2017 on PS3 as part of my PS+ subscription. It's a terrible game by any measure, and easily the worst PS+ game ever offered from the service. I WAS able to extract some enjoyment from it simply because it was so bad. The VO announcer particularly, was so bad it was good. It had audio which I can only describe as "crackling", which was a new experience, as was participating in races that lasted between 4-8 seconds. Outstanding. As to why I played it? It was there "for free", and the trophies were easy. All except the last 2, which, stopped me from getting the plat. It's really the only example in my entire life I can think of where I persisted in playing a bad game.

I had almost forgotten about the Playstation 3. Better claim what I can. 

Around the Network

To get my moneys worth. I'm never going to beat something I don't like but I'll give it at least a few hours

I tried Sonic Adventure 2 for the first time back in 2017 because of how I still hear a lot of people say it's still one of the few good or even great sonic games and was blown away by how awful it was and how horrible the controls were. I get that not all games age well over time and the industry changes, but I continued on because in my mind at the time SURELY there was a point where the game would get better, I mean it got universal acclaim back when it released in 2001 after all (with an 89 metacritic score). Nope.

After that I didn't even bother with the dark story and just uninstalled it.

00Xander00 said:

I sometimes reflect on Alone in the Dark (Wii Version) in the same way that I annually watch The Room (Tommy Wiseau). It's something everyone needs to experience. I have written reviews of this game and talked a lot about it to my friends, its like an obsession that I can not explain. The dialogue, the controls, the A.I, the car part, opening the inventory with motion controls, topped off with it's shisterous ending (pronounced Shy-sterous).
This game is so bad it's good. Very ambitious for the creator's skills, production value, planning, and overall potential.
Playing this in a room full of friends like I did, taking in turns to do the next part of this magical adventure is hilarious, it is a remediable experience that not many players will have.
Also it's music stood out as it is epic and over the top violins and orchestras. The Music didn't match as the music was really good and the rest really bad, for example some paper-bats fly around glitching into walls as over-the-top frantic Lord of the Rings music appears XD.
11/5 stars.

This.

Games that come to mind are Ride to Hell Retribution, Magus and Sonic 06. All are so bad they're enjoyable. Whatsmore, playing them made me feel as if I learned more about what makes a good game, and even the things you'd take for granted if you only stuck with mediocre to great games.

Funny thing is all three (four if we count Alone in the Dark) games had immense potential. Great concepts, possibly too many concepts and not enough focus, rushed development cycles, and incompetence ruined each. And as crazy as it sounds, if they were never going to end up "great," I think we're better off having them as "God awful."

I've been tempted to get Fallout 76 (once it's extremely discounted) because it seems to be the only non-Steam game that's this magnitude of terrible.

Skinner boxing my way to the top!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
Youre not wrong, Onrush is fucking trash, and a letdown conpared to Driveclub and Motorstorm.

What a shame, I didn't even know it was out already.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Because I like it personally.

I often hear that the first NES Turtles would be a bad game (and it's enemies have little to do with it's source material), but I loved it and still like it very much.

But the biggest one for me is probably Elemental: War of Magic. It's one of my favorite games, but pretty much everybody else hated it

I dont play bad games

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

m0ney said:
flashfire926 said:
Youre not wrong, Onrush is fucking trash, and a letdown conpared to Driveclub and Motorstorm.

What a shame, I didn't even know it was out already.

I was playing it again just last night.  I'm a glutton for punishment.  I eventually walked away to play Sly and Senran.  What a breath of fresh air.

I just remembered another bad game I played that I spent time with for fairly similar reasons to Monster Jam:Battlegrounds: Reality Fighters on the PS Vita. The best thing about it was making a custom fighter with my face mapped onto it. Got it on PS+, and tried it for a while because it was sitting on my mem card. Kept playing for a bit to go for a few trophies. I could have gotten more, but sweet Jesus it wasn't worth it.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."