By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - December NPD 2018 thread

Shadow1980 said:
p0isonparadise said:
Smash was #1 for the month and sold 3,592,000 at retail. Largest opening for an exclusive.

The previous record holder was Halo 3, which sold 3.3M in Sept. 2007 in the U.S. It is worth pointing out that Halo 3 was available for only 12 days of the Sept. '07 sales period, whereas Smash was available for 30 days of the Dec. '18 sales period. However, Halo 3's sales were 100% physical or close to it (did the 360 even have a digital option for AAA games back then?), and within its first 40 days (the last 12 days of the Sept. sales period and all 28 days of the Oct. sales period) had sold about 3.73M, only 141k more copies than Smash sold in 30 days. So, Smash still may have sold slightly faster than Halo 3 over the first few weeks even though it appears that Halo 3 may have done more in its first week.

Kinda makes me wish that U.S. sales had an official weekly tracker like they do in Japan, that way we could get more granular sales results. Maybe one day Media Create will open a U.S. branch. A man can hope.

The_Liquid_Laser said:
NSW 1770k
XB1 930k
PS4 820k

Yeah, those numbers look about right to me. No big surprises.

Are those supposed to be more accurate figures someone posted? I didn't see them at ERA. Last I heard it was 800k for the PS4 and 920k for the XBO.

I saw them posted earlier in this thread.  But now that I look back, I see the poster was only writing down approximate numbers.  Either way the numbers look about right to me though. 

JRPGfan said: 
PS4 ~800k
XBO ~920k
NSW ~1770k

Hmm..... Switch just barely beat out the total of the other two combinded.

Around the Network

PS4 won 8/12 months. That isn't almost all

lol

Evilms said:

PS4 won 8/12 months. That isn't almost all

lol

Well it's not lol. Almost all would be 10/11 out of 12 at least to me.

1/3 of all NPD'S won is closer to winning half than losing most.

You guys are argueing if 2/3rds is almost all, or not worthy of that tag.
Its close enough where either way of seeing it is fine imo.

End of the day, yearly sales are like (for 2018) (VGC's yearly global platform numbers):
PS4 ~18m
Switch ~17m
XB1 ~7.3m

All 3 consoles had good years.

Evilms said:

Excellent year, over 15 million sold between the 3 of them

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

Great numbers. I expect January to be another record breaking month for Switch if Japan is any indication.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

LipeJJ said:
Great numbers. I expect January to be another record breaking month for Switch if Japan is any indication.

Last year January was 5 weeks, this year its 4 so the weekly average can be up alot but still only result in a small overall increase.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
LipeJJ said:

Last year January was 5 weeks, this year its 4 so the weekly average can be up alot but still only result in a small overall increase.

I know, I'm expecting something like 10% up.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

zorg1000 said:

Sure tho.

Do you know the global yearly sales for all?

KingofTrolls said:
zorg1000 said:

Sure tho.

Do you know the global yearly sales for all?

Sony gave PR that said PS4 sold 18 million but we have no official word from Nintendo or Microsoft.

This site has

PS4-18.0m

NSW-17.0m

XBO-7.3m