By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Switch in Japan: 2018 vs. 2019 - Final Results

The_Liquid_Laser said:
Hmmm...only thought Switch would be down for at most 2 weeks this year. Well, there goes that prediction....

Between Goldenweek and E3 Japanese sales always collapse, as nothing worthwhile releases during that period.

They will go up after SMM2 again, and stay up with all the other announced releases.

Edit: just checked why there was a jump up last year, and it was because of the streaming version of Resident Evil VII and Pokemon Quest releasing that week, I presume

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 31 May 2019

Around the Network

I know it took me a while, but I've finally posted the numbers for weeks 21 and 22. And 2019 Switch continues its latest losing streak against 2018 Switch, week over week. This summer should see that trend reversed with Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem: The Three Houses, and Dragon Quest XI S. But, even as it may, the time for a price cut for the Switch is drawing closer and closer.

Mar1217 said:
With what I have seen today, I'm actually not convinced that Nintendo will reveal any sort of new updated hardware before next year Spring at least.

Yeah, there's no real reason to bring new hardware to push sales. I'd keep that in hand for next year if I were Nintendo... maybe with the AC:NH release?

Just added Week 23 numbers and this marks the 6th week in a row where 2019 has lost to 2018. Granted it's not by much each week, and with some of the Switch's big guns like Yokai Watch 4, Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Dragon Quest XI S right around the corner, that streak should be coming to an end soon.

PAOerfulone said:

Just added Week 23 numbers and this marks the 6th week in a row where 2019 has lost to 2018. Granted it's not by much each week, and with some of the Switch's big guns like Yokai Watch 4, Super Mario Maker, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, and Dragon Quest XI S right around the corner, that streak should be coming to an end soon.

Confident you are. I expect it to just recover to a similar level as last year or just a little bit more. Only new Switch model and Pokemon would put it to a really higher level. Let's hope I am saying shit...

Around the Network

Momemtum should be back once we head into the 2nd half of 2019

Pocky Lover Boy! 

Well they have a heavy hitter next spring but it seems 2018 and 19 didn't have enough 1st party system sellers. Not understanding why they can't achieve more output on Switch.  Then they say need more time on AC.  It's been like 6 years since New Leaf.

So out of the last six weeks Switch has been down four times and the total for this period is -8.460 units. As for the last three weeks it has been down three times in a row but not by a significant amount and the numbers have improved for each week. Add to that that all this has done to the YoY difference is changing the lead from 344.490 to 336.030 and the fact that bigger titles will start to drop in a few weeks beginning with Mario Maker 2 and I'd say things look quite positive.

Amnesia said:
PAOerfulone said:

Confident you are. I expect it to just recover to a similar level as last year or just a little bit more. Only new Switch model and Pokemon would put it to a really higher level. Let's hope I am saying shit...

Well, there are quite a few Switch games that come out over the next months which should have some good sales in Japan, and thus push the console again.

That being said, the Switch might be getting too expensive for the general Japanese public, so maybe a pricecut would be in order before the end of the year

Special Thanks and Gratitude to Rolstoppable for providing full data on Famitsu from last year in addition to this year.
The numbers have been adjusted to provide a completely accurate, 1:1, comparison.
This is now a pure Famitsu comparison!