By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 15 December 2018

A fairer comparison when we consider Nov + Dec.

Nintendo has more releases in Dec while PS has more in Nov.

Nov + Dec 2017

PS4 - 3,619 + 3,987 = 7,606
NSW - 1,658 + 4,348 = 6,006

Nov + Dec 2018 (2 weeks)

NSW - 3,266 + 2,549 = 5,815
PS4 - 3,763 + 1,589 = 5,352

Source: VGC Hardware Year-Over-Year Comparison

PM ~ sent (Spamming)

CGI

Last edited by CGI-Quality - on 08 January 2019

God bless You.

My Total Sales prediction for PS4 by the end of 2021: 110m+

When PS4 will hit 100m consoles sold: Before Christmas 2019

There were three ravens sat on a tree / They were as blacke as they might be / The one of them said to his mate, Where shall we our breakfast take?

Around the Network
Shiken said:
DonFerrari said:

The dock provides energy and cooling. It doesn't grant any special feature to Switch. If someone hacked his switch to run full performance without the dock would then it become the desktop console even holding in the hand? Also Nintendo is selling it without dock in Japan.

And you fall in the same trap of OTBWY of confusing direct and indirect competitors.

If PS4 wasn't in the market X1 would sell much more and vice-versa (you having both is irrelevant). If Switch didn't launch neither PS4 nor X1 would have sold much more.

The dock does not provide any more power than just the AC adapter itself.  It also does not provide cooling as the fans and everything that does the work is in the Switch itself.  The only thing the dock does is send a signal to trigger console mode in the Switch.

You basically prove my point.  The fact the the dock does nothing special is exactly why it is classified as both.  The console and portable functions are native to the device itself and in theory, yes you could hack it to output docked level performance in handheld (albiet at higher battery consumption).

The fact that you have to hack it however is where your argument falls flat.  It was not designed to operate that way and you are altering its very form factor to make it something else.

So if you are claiming the only thing the dock do is activate a trigger then it is basically not necessary as that call could be made without it (even without power outlet).

So again all you are showing is that Switch is indeed a handheld that you can connect to TV and play some ports of the consoles other companies get.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

The dock provides energy and cooling. It doesn't grant any special feature to Switch. If someone hacked his switch to run full performance without the dock would then it become the desktop console even holding in the hand? Also Nintendo is selling it without dock in Japan.

And you fall in the same trap of OTBWY of confusing direct and indirect competitors.

If PS4 wasn't in the market X1 would sell much more and vice-versa (you having both is irrelevant). If Switch didn't launch neither PS4 nor X1 would have sold much more.

You mean the Switch that is specifically named "Switch 2nd Unit Set" and is marketed specifically to households that already own a Switch and therefore already have the dock?  The Switch 2nd Unit Set doesn't even come with a charger for this reason.  The buyer it is marketed towards is specifically assumed to already have a dock in their home.  The 2nd unit set is the cheap option to get a 2nd Switch into the consumer's home.

You can buy and use it even without the dock. They may also at some point sell standalone docks so you can hook up to other TVs in the house.

kirby007 said:
Spiderman bundles are counted just like wii sports was

Every company will count the bundled SW. What was the point of this post? Most of the sales of Spiderman were unbundled.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

The dock does not provide any more power than just the AC adapter itself.  It also does not provide cooling as the fans and everything that does the work is in the Switch itself.  The only thing the dock does is send a signal to trigger console mode in the Switch.

You basically prove my point.  The fact the the dock does nothing special is exactly why it is classified as both.  The console and portable functions are native to the device itself and in theory, yes you could hack it to output docked level performance in handheld (albiet at higher battery consumption).

The fact that you have to hack it however is where your argument falls flat.  It was not designed to operate that way and you are altering its very form factor to make it something else.

So if you are claiming the only thing the dock do is activate a trigger then it is basically not necessary as that call could be made without it (even without power outlet).

So again all you are showing is that Switch is indeed a handheld that you can connect to TV and play some ports of the consoles other companies get.

Mandalore76 said:

You mean the Switch that is specifically named "Switch 2nd Unit Set" and is marketed specifically to households that already own a Switch and therefore already have the dock?  The Switch 2nd Unit Set doesn't even come with a charger for this reason.  The buyer it is marketed towards is specifically assumed to already have a dock in their home.  The 2nd unit set is the cheap option to get a 2nd Switch into the consumer's home.

You can buy and use it even without the dock. They may also at some point sell standalone docks so you can hook up to other TVs in the house.

kirby007 said:
Spiderman bundles are counted just like wii sports was

Every company will count the bundled SW. What was the point of this post? Most of the sales of Spiderman were unbundled.

Dont fool yourself if it wasnt bundled it would track like batman

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

0D0 said:
Wyrdness said:
Switch is a hybrid so therefore competes with PS4 and X1 as well as any portable gaming device anyone telling themselves otherwise is fooling themselves, it can be used as a home console and as a portable.

My iPad can quite be used as a laptop, but it's not a laptop, really.

Switch is much more like a 3DS successor than a current gen console.

No it's a hybrid so it succeeds both 3DS and Wii U, phones aren't cameras yet many people use them as such which ends up impacting the camera market so they're competing regardless because of sharing the same feature the same goes for the Switch being a hybrid and being able to be used as both a home console and a portable.

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

Have you made the calculation, have any proof? Numbers of how many bundles were sold? I don't think it sold over 2M bundles, even 1M would be quite a lot.

But please give us source.

Wii Sports sold like 15-20M out of bundles which is obscenely high and much higher than almost all games in the same gen.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:

Have you made the calculation, have any proof? Numbers of how many bundles were sold? I don't think it sold over 2M bundles, even 1M would be quite a lot.

Wii Sports sold like 15-20M out of bundles which is obscenely high and much higher than almost all games in the same gen.

Gut feeling. My guess is 0.8m for bf alone and 2m the months prior. Seeing as it is the driving force for the resurge in ps4 since september

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

kirby007 said:
DonFerrari said:

Gut feeling. My guess is 0.8m for bf alone and 2m the months prior. Seeing as it is the driving force for the resurge in ps4 since september

I see, ok them. 2.8M seem to high imho. have you counted how much that represents for HW sold? like 30% of total HW was with SpiderMan bundle? And there were other bundles as well.

DonFerrari said:
Shiken said:

No you have it twisted.  There are two reasons why the Switch at docked power would be ineffective as a handheld.  One is heat.  The fan ramps up notably higher and the console gets considerably warmer.  This leaves it with moving parts and leaves it more fragile in a portable environment.

The other is the battery life.  The extra juice required would sap it dry in no time.

It seems that there is no correct answer for you, and you will only say what you think will sound better for what you want to happen.  It is BECAUSE the dock does so little that the Switch itself is a hybrid by design, and not just a portable with an extra attachment.  It is designed to operate as both at a hardware and software level.  If you hack it to be one way or another, you are altering the entire form factor of the product that is being sold.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

0D0 said:
OTBWY said:

I think you're wrong and confusing others on purpose. The Switch, the Xbox, the PS4, are all competitors. Why? Because they all compete for a consumers time and shelf space. You can't deny that fact. Two or three competing devices in the same market not eating each others sales is a dumb analogy since, like in every other market, you don't know what decisions consumers make except for the actual hard raw data that we get. We cannot determine that for example that a consumer chose Smash Bros over GoW this christmas. You can't write that as a loss of sale for GoW, because extra piece of motivation is missing. What we do know however is that these platforms wrestle for time and attention, by software releases (sometimes exclusives, or superior plats) and other measures. If they didn't compete directly, we would not see this. And it is so very obvious that they do, you have to be living under a rock to not notice it. If you do know it and still deny this simple fact, you are being malicious because A: You don't like the fact that the Switch is doing well against your favourite platform and B: A platform you like is losing market dominance slowly.

As for the next Xbox or PS5, I am not worried at all for the Switch. This year will be notable because of certain releases the Switch will get, at which point it will become a platform with a library difficult to ignore. By then, a strong exclusive lineup will push it forward. A new powerful platform doesn't always win over a weaker platform. It always comes back to the games.

Shelf space and time is not enough to determine a market. Switch and PS4 are on different segments in terms of overall price (games included), library, technology and consumer target.

How a 299$ console hasn't the same pricepoint of a 299$ console ? Which also has 60$ games in their library.

And please, consumer target is the same, minus the fact that the PS4 appeals more on teenagers and the Switch to young adults.

DonFerrari said:
kirby007 said:

I see, ok them. 2.8M seem to high imho. have you counted how much that represents for HW sold? like 30% of total HW was with SpiderMan bundle? And there were other bundles as well.

Yes those very valueble fortnite bundles are taken into account, thats why i took the increase in hardware in consideration combined with the max weekly sales for spiderman each week since launch and the batman series of ps4+360 combined as a additional sales trend