By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Worldwide Charts Yearly Total - December 1st

Are those software numbers excluding digital? Must be or that's quite a drop.

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:

Factor in another ~3-4m for the PS4 in december, that ll mean its a 19m+ year (more than I expected).

The hardware chart is already at December 8 and probably overtracked for the PS4 (at least in the US)

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

More than I expected too. Also means it can end last year at 92M+.......

92M in a little over 5yrs... thats gotta be some sort of record.

Not quite, DS shipped 100 million in 4 years & 4 months.

I strongly doubt we can in way way compare a handheld to a home console, especially when the nature of handhelds sales are very different to that of home consoles. And I don't think there are may if at all way other home consoles that has accomplished the same feat. Except maybe the Wii? Not sure about that one.....

Intrinsic said:
zorg1000 said:

Not quite, DS shipped 100 million in 4 years & 4 months.

I strongly doubt we can in way way compare a handheld to a home console, especially when the nature of handhelds sales are very different to that of home consoles. And I don't think there are may if at all way other home consoles that has accomplished the same feat. Except maybe the Wii? Not sure about that one.....

Looking at just home consoles

Wii was at 94.97 million shipments at the end of 2011 (5 years, 1 month) so essentially tied with PS4. PS4 will pass Wii and never look back soon.

PS2 is a bit tricky since it had a staggered launch but it was 100 million as of Nov 30 2005, 5 years after western launch and 5 years, 8 months after Japanese launch. If we align regional launches than it's also probably pretty close.

PS2, Wii & PS4 all shipped ~95 million in ~5 years.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Intrinsic said:
JRPGfan said:

Factor in another ~3-4m for the PS4 in december, that ll mean its a 19m+ year (more than I expected).

More than I expected too. Also means it can end last year at 92M+.......

92M in a little over 5yrs... thats gotta be some sort of record.

And after 6 it will probably be over 117m possibly before the PS5 is even announced. That would be crazy. 

FarleyMcFirefly said:

I think it's crazy how the 3DS sold like Wii U average numbers, in its 8th year on the market. I think it could leg out to 78-80 million. Definitely will pass the 75m milestone.

I'm interested to see if 3ds can beat psp. It's losing momentum fast but you never know. 

SvennoJ said:
Are those software numbers excluding digital? Must be or that's quite a drop.

No digital included. 

Around the Network

You could have put the attach ratio as well.

And PS4 still comfortably 3M in the lead... with Switch needing to cut about 1M per week on the difference. Don't think it's likely.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

And PS4 still comfortably 3M in the lead... with Switch needing to cut about 1M per week on the difference. Don't think it's likely.

Yeah, the PS4 kept banking wins every week this year, and built up quite a comfortable lead. I think we all knew it would be close either way with the Switch's projected finish to the year. It's still not over, but PS4 should take the 2018 crown.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

COKTOE said:
DonFerrari said:

Yeah, the PS4 kept banking wins every week this year, and built up quite a comfortable lead. I think we all knew it would be close either way with the Switch's projected finish to the year. It's still not over, but PS4 should take the 2018 crown.

At least we will have some good weeks of discussion on VGC regarding sales for once.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I can't post topics but I just saw this:

SAN MATEO, Calif., January 7, 2019 - Sony Interactive Entertainment (SIE) today announced new sales milestone for PlayStation®4 (PS4™). 

• PS4 has now cumulatively sold through more than 91.6 million units*1 globally as of December 31, 2018.
  • Within the above number, PS4 has sold through more than 5.6 million units*2 globally during the 2018 holiday season*3.

Moreover:

• More than 50.7 million*4 PS4 games were sold through globally during the 2018 holiday season, which sums up to 876 million*5 PS4 games cumulatively sold through worldwide as of December 31, 2018.
  • Marvel’s Spider-Man, launched in September 2018, has cumulatively sold through more than 9 million copies*6 worldwide as of November 25, 2018.

“Thanks to the continued support from our fans during the holiday season, we are pleased to announce that PS4 has reached 91.6 million units globally. We are also happy to announce that the monthly active users of PlayStation Network continues to show strong growth, and has surpassed 90 million as of end of November 2018,” said John Kodera, President and CEO of Sony Interactive Entertainment. “I would like to express my deepest gratitude to our passionate community around the globe, and our partners, for helping us achieve these milestones. This year, we will bring more enhanced experiences to our fans along with a highly anticipated lineup of games that are only possible on PS4. As we look toward the next PS4 milestone, SIE will continue to evolve, and we will further expand the platform to deliver the best interactive entertainment experiences to the world.”

###

• 1Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/31/2018, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018 and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/31/2018.
  • *2Number of retail sales to consumers is estimated by SIE.
  • *3Data collected during 11/19/2018 – 12/31/2018.
  • *4Number of Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities and download version sales on PlayStation™Store is estimated by SIE.
  • *5Number of Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities and download version sales on PlayStation™Store is estimated by SIE. Sales data in Japan collected 2/22/2014 – 12/31/2018, in North America collected 11/15/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Latin America collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018, in Europe collected 11/29/2013 – 12/31/2018 and in Asia collected 12/17/2013 – 12/31/2018.
  • *6PS4 sales data collected 9/7/2018 – 11/25/2018. Includes both Blu-ray Disc™ sell-through quantities estimated by SIE and download version sa