By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware 8 December 2018 (Smash Week)

drinkandswim said:
I think right now Switch is right under the requirements to run most Xbox One games. The RAM is too low, the bandwidth too small, and the overall power is too low. That is what makes Switch Pro necessary. I really think they need to close those gaps and then you can see a lot of major ports of Sports Games, some FPS, and RE games. Right now the best you can ask for is games that are also being ported to Xbox 360 (GTA V which initially launched on 360, etc.).

Let's say they do release a model that is capable of running all XBO/PS4 games, how much will it cost? How much bigger will it be? How will the battery life be? To me this sounds like a device that's $399, bigger/bulkier & has a 1.5-3 hour battery life. Not really ideal for a system whose main selling point is being able to play anytime, anywhere.

And here's the most important question, who is going to support it with AAA titles that cant be played on the base model? If by the end of 2020 the Switch has an overall install base of 65+ million and only 7-8 million of that is from the Pro model than how is that a viable solution?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:

Mandalore76 said:

Which ones?

Fifa 14 launched on PS2, PES 2014 as well launched on PS2.

I though Fifa 14 didn't launch on Wii, but PES 2014 didn't launch on it.

Ah, so not talking about Fifa at all then.  Fifa 14 sold 18.41m across all consoles, with .42m coming from Wii.  PES 2014 sold only 1.8m combined.  Also worth noting, PES 2014 on PS2 was a European only release, while Fifa 14 on Wii was Worldwide.  So a niche release of a niche game.

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:
I think right now Switch is right under the requirements to run most Xbox One games. The RAM is too low, the bandwidth too small, and the overall power is too low. That is what makes Switch Pro necessary. I really think they need to close those gaps and then you can see a lot of major ports of Sports Games, some FPS, and RE games. Right now the best you can ask for is games that are also being ported to Xbox 360 (GTA V which initially launched on 360, etc.).

Let's say they do release a model that is capable of running all XBO/PS4 games, how much will it cost? How much bigger will it be? How will the battery life be? To me this sounds like a device that's $399, bigger/bulkier & has a 1.5-3 hour battery life. Not really ideal for a system whose main selling point is being able to play anytime, anywhere.

And here's the most important question, who is going to support it with AAA titles that cant be played on the base model? If by the end of 2020 the Switch has an overall install base of 65+ million and only 7-8 million of that is from the Pro model than how is that a viable solution?

I have actually been thinking about this too much so let me go through my opinion. 

To your first point: The Tegra X2 Board is compatible as a complete switch out with the Tegra X1 board currently in the Switch. It offers 50% more performance or 100% more energy efficiency at the same power draw. So you can either opt for 50% greater performance (750 gflops at FP32 operation or 7.5 Watt draw instead of 15 watts). So I think that board could be used in both a lite version or a pro version. So you would have the same battery life for higher performing games and longer battery life for Mid Tier and Indy games, etc. I think its priced $399 and I am wondering if Nintendo can offer an option to upgrade it for current owners for around $200 since its literally swapping out the boards and probably an OS update. 

Second point: These games cant be played on the current Switch so does it really split the base? Actually it would expand the base for Nintendo's first party games which would always be compatible with both systems regardless of Chipset.

Let me know what you think.

Mandalore76 said:
DonFerrari said:

Fifa 14 launched on PS2, PES 2014 as well launched on PS2.

I though Fifa 14 didn't launch on Wii, but PES 2014 didn't launch on it.

Ah, so not talking about Fifa at all then.  Fifa 14 sold 18.41m across all consoles, with .42m coming from Wii.  PES 2014 sold only 1.8m combined.  Also worth noting, PES 2014 on PS2 was a European only release, while Fifa 14 on Wii was Worldwide.  So a niche release of a niche game.

Of course it would be a small number. We are talking about SW sales on a console 8 years after it was discontinued... which game is releasing on Wii 6 years after discontinued? Or on Wii U 2 years after being discontinued?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Adjustments were made.

Switch up (now ahead of PS4 in Europe), PS4 down, XOne up, and 3DS same.

EDIT: Beat me to it, CGI.

Around the Network
drinkandswim said:
zorg1000 said:

I have actually been thinking about this too much so let me go through my opinion. 

To your first point: The Tegra X2 Board is compatible as a complete switch out with the Tegra X1 board currently in the Switch. It offers 50% more performance or 100% more energy efficiency at the same power draw. So you can either opt for 50% greater performance (750 gflops at FP32 operation or 7.5 Watt draw instead of 15 watts). So I think that board could be used in both a lite version or a pro version. So you would have the same battery life for higher performing games and longer battery life for Mid Tier and Indy games, etc. I think its priced $399 and I am wondering if Nintendo can offer an option to upgrade it for current owners for around $200 since its literally swapping out the boards and probably an OS update. 

Second point: These games cant be played on the current Switch so does it really split the base? Actually it would expand the base for Nintendo's first party games which would always be compatible with both systems regardless of Chipset.

First Point: I agree that X2 can be used for a Lite & Pro model but the Pro will be used to play games at improved resolution/performance, not to get games that cant run on the base model.

Second Point: I'm not talking about Nintendo games, I'm talking about 3rd parties, they aren't going to release their big AAA games on the Pro model if they can't run on the base model because there will not be enough of an install base to make it worthwhile.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

CGI-Quality said:

Adjustments made (different from front page):

NS: 1,323,851
PS4: 867,717
X1: 504,263
3DS: 180,383
PSV: 3,195

Are those adjustments or Dec 15 numbers?

zorg1000 said:
CGI-Quality said:

Adjustments made (different from front page):

NS: 1,323,851
PS4: 867,717
X1: 504,263
3DS: 180,383
PSV: 3,195

Are those adjustments or Dec 15 numbers?

Those are the 15th numbers. But the 8th were adjusted.

Switch - 1,225,667
PS4 - 863,784
Xone - 478,072
3DS - 164,190

zorg1000 said:
drinkandswim said:

First Point: I agree that X2 can be used for a Lite & Pro model but the Pro will be used to play games at improved resolution/performance, not to get games that cant run on the base model.

Second Point: I'm not talking about Nintendo games, I'm talking about 3rd parties, they aren't going to release their big AAA games on the Pro model if they can't run on the base model because there will not be enough of an install base to make it worthwhile.

I don't know how much of an install base Developers are looking for in order to Port. So you may be right we will see. But if they can upgrade existing Switches and there is enough demand that base can grow a lot faster than trying to sell new systems, although I am not sure if that is possible. But what I meant it is in Nintendo's interest to expand the base for their First Party Software. In order to expand that base they need some lacking genres, FPS, Racing Games, Sports game, etc. 

Isnt switch predicted to outsell the PS4 and One combined in the US and after 2 week it's barely tracking 200k ahead of only the PS4 ?

Might end up with big updates like last year's December while vgchartz was showing underwhelming weeks for Switch but ended up over 1 millions every week.