Forums - Nintendo Discussion - To me, 2017 wasn't as amazing for the Switch looking back

I think both years were underwhelming but i prefer 2018, Xenoblade 2, lets go pikachu, smash bros and bayonetta 2



Around the Network
ResilientFighter said:
I think both years were underwhelming

YES! 

(by the way, Xenoblade 2 was 2017, Xenoblade 2 Torna was 2018 though)



Zelda fans are the worst 

TheMisterManGuy said: 

Prior to the launch of the system, Nobody really believed in it. 

I did.    Of course I wasn't a part of the forum at that point though.  When I joined, the shock to me was how many haters their were toward the Switch.  To me it's pretty obviously an awesome system and it is only going to get better as we go forward.



I mean, to me personally I agree that 2017 was not that great for the Switch. But that's because I think Mario Odyssey and Xenoblade 2 were HUGE disappointments. Everybody else seems to think that those games along with Breath of the Wild (which I loved BTW) are masterpieces. So... while to me 2017 was kinda meh, having three masterpieces in the console's first year is absolutely amazing. No other console can brag about something similar, except for maybe the Wii (Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess).



different strokes. but I preferred 2017 by far. zelda,splatoon 2,mario n rabbids,mk8, mario odyssey and xenoblade 2 I loved all except for Odyssey



Around the Network

2018 gets too much flak. It had tons of great games.. but any year is always to be in the shade of a year when two of the all time highest rated games releases the same year.

Personally, I really enjoyed 2018 with games like Hollow Knight, Octopath, Starlink, Smash, Pokemon, Celeste and Torna standing out for me personally.. but lacked some oompf that a game of BotW and Odyssey provides.. Looking forward what 2019 has to offer.



Vodacixi said:
Everybody else seems to think that those games along with Breath of the Wild (which I loved BTW) are masterpieces. So... while to me 2017 was kinda meh, having three masterpieces in the console's first year is absolutely amazing. No other console can brag about something similar, except for maybe the Wii (Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess).

In North America the Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil REmake, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Party 4, Resident Evil 0, AND Metroid Prime (actually released on the one year anniversary in NA) as exclusives. It had third parties like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, The Simpsons Road Rage, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Pac-Man World 2, Spiderman, TimeSplitters 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and a lot of sports games, many of which were critically acclaimed (SSX Tricky, Tony Hawk etc). 

Even the limited ass library of the Nintendo 64 wasn't too shabby in it's first year - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, Cruisin' USA, Blast Corps, and had third parties like Doom 64, Hexen, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. 

The Switch is not that out of the norm honestly. People seem to forget that great first years are kind of a given for Nintendo home consoles. Not saying it isn't the best year in console history, but if it is it's realistically not by that large of a margin. 



Zelda fans are the worst 

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Vodacixi said:
Everybody else seems to think that those games along with Breath of the Wild (which I loved BTW) are masterpieces. So... while to me 2017 was kinda meh, having three masterpieces in the console's first year is absolutely amazing. No other console can brag about something similar, except for maybe the Wii (Metroid Prime 3, Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda Twilight Princess).

In North America the Gamecube had Luigi's Mansion, Star Wars Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II, Wave Race: Blue Storm, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Super Monkey Ball, Pikmin, Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, Super Mario Sunshine, Resident Evil REmake, Animal Crossing, Star Fox Adventures, Super Monkey Ball 2, Mario Party 4, Resident Evil 0, AND Metroid Prime (actually released on the one year anniversary in NA) as exclusives. It had third parties like Crazy Taxi, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle, The Simpsons Road Rage, Gauntlet Dark Legacy, Pac-Man World 2, Spiderman, TimeSplitters 2, Medal of Honor: Frontline, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance, and a lot of sports games, many of which were critically acclaimed (SSX Tricky, Tony Hawk etc). 

Even the limited ass library of the Nintendo 64 wasn't too shabby in it's first year - Super Mario 64, Pilotwings 64, Wave Race 64, Killer Instinct Gold, Mario Kart 64, Star Fox 64, Goldeneye 007, Cruisin' USA, Blast Corps, and had third parties like Doom 64, Hexen, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire, and Turok: Dinosaur Hunter. 

The Switch is not that out of the norm honestly. People seem to forget that great first years are kind of a given for Nintendo home consoles. Not saying it isn't the best year in console history, but if it is it's realistically not by that large of a margin. 

I mean... if you want to mention mid tier games too like Star Fox Adventure, Wave Race, Mario Party 4 and Resident Evil 0, let's add to the Switch: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors... heck, if you count Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race for the Gamecube, let's put FAST RMX and Snipperclips on the Switch list too xD

As for third party releases... The Simpsons Road Gage? Gauntlet Dark Legacy? Spiderman? Really? For the love of God, those game were mediocre at best. Road Gage is absolute trash. As for the Switch... DOOM, Skyrim, Rocket League, Super Bomberman R, Disgea 5, LEGO City Undercover, Sonic Mania, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2... plus all the indies in the world, plus the sports games.

All that being said... I may have gone to far saying "any console". I agree that Gamecube and N64 had a great first year. But at least you'll agree that those happened 18 to 23 years ago. How good PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One were on their first year? Not even close to what those consoles and the Wii had. The Switch absolutely blow away any recent console's first year.



I think everyone knows that Switch's great 2017 lineup was heavily front loaded, mainly focused on Zelda and Mario blowing people away (and of course MK and Splatoon were huge from a sales perspective). Obviously the lineup wasn't that deep in its first 10 months on the market.

2018 had a lot of great indies, and some good AA new games and ports, but didn't have a single system seller until November. 10 months without a single major AAA release while 2017 had 4 of them (with two of them really evolving 30+ year old franchises) spread out over 10 months made 2017 feel a lot more impactful than 10 months of no major releases followed by two major games in two months at the end of the year.

I think 2019 we'll see the best of both worlds. There should be several major games plus lots more indies plus plenty of AA games coming in 2019, including cool third party stuff like Final Fantasy games. Throw in a price reduction and a new version of the Switch and we're gonna be in for the hottest and best year yet!



Vodacixi said:

I mean... if you want to mention mid tier games too like Star Fox Adventure, Wave Race, Mario Party 4 and Resident Evil 0, let's add to the Switch: Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Splatoon 2, ARMS, Mario x Rabbids and Fire Emblem Warriors... heck, if you count Super Monkey Ball and Wave Race for the Gamecube, let's put FAST RMX and Snipperclips on the Switch list too xD

As for third party releases... The Simpsons Road Gage? Gauntlet Dark Legacy? Spiderman? Really? For the love of God, those game were mediocre at best. Road Gage is absolute trash. As for the Switch... DOOM, Skyrim, Rocket League, Super Bomberman R, Disgea 5, LEGO City Undercover, Sonic Mania, Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2... plus all the indies in the world, plus the sports games.

All that being said... I may have gone to far saying "any console". I agree that Gamecube and N64 had a great first year. But at least you'll agree that those happened 18 to 23 years ago. How good PS2, Xbox, PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, PS4 and Xbox One were on their first year? Not even close to what those consoles and the Wii had. The Switch absolutely blow away any recent console's first year.

First of all, this comment sounds really passive aggressive. It also completely misinterprets the point. The point, as I said at the end, is that Nintendo's home consoles have had pretty strong first years for a long time now - and in that respect the Switch isn't out of the norm. The reason that people are acting like Switch's first year is out of this world mostly has to do with the fact that A ) Most forum users were either not "gamers" when the Wii/Gamecube/N64 launched or B ) Most forum users did not have the expendable income or market knowledge to be interested in or buy any games they wanted when these systems released. All I'm simply saying is that Switch's first year is not that out of the norm, all things considered it's pretty comparable to the N64, Gamecube, and Wii (though N64's lineup isn't the greatest, but it had a very small library overall) - and you don't even disagree with that, yet you're mocking my reply. 

Second, you're not acknowledging market differences. Sports games in the 6th generation were extraordinarily important releases, they were often some of the highest rated games on their respective platforms. Some sports franchises might sell more now, but that's mostly because of the increase in software purchases overall. Sports games now do not really command the same kind of respect they once did, so I have no idea why you're acting like they're just the same thing. A lot of the games I listed are not even out on Switch or do not permeate the market in the same way they once did. The same could be applied to you mocking Super Monkey Ball or Wave Race and comparing them to Fast RMX and Snipperclips. Both were bigger deals for their individual consoles in their individual generations than two indie games, but because software sales have grown so much and because those consoles did not sell well you can now look back and make that faulty comparison. Also, you don't seem to understand the reason I listed these games was not to make the Switch's library look worse - I quite literally was listing every exclusive that was known for being a well made quality title, I wasn't trying to "one up" Switch. A lot of the third party Gamecube games I listed were also big deals at the time, so just making fun of them because what you believe to be the quality now is nonsense.

You also don't seem to get that I made the list of current, at the time new releases. Stuff like Fast RMX, Lego City Undercover, Mario Kart 8 and DOOM are not new releases, although you're more than welcome to use them since they don't negate my point. And if you don't think Resident Evil 0 was a big deal at the time then I don't know what to say ...

Everything you've replied with is insinuating that Switch is more comparable to N64/Gamecube/Wii, which is my EXACT point! You're right that recent consoles have had bad first years - but let's put 2+2 together. N64 had a good first year, Gamecube had a good first year, Wii had a good first year, Wii U didn't, Switch did. What is the common trend? That - compared to other competitors - Nintendo home consoles have good first years. Wii U didn't because it was rushed and it was the Wii U, the amount of worthwhile games could fit on three hands at most. So yes, compared to other Nintendo home consoles, the Switch's first year is not so astronomically better that it isn't in the same ballpark. It absolutely is. But compared to most Playstation and Xbox launches - it's by far better. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 01 January 2019

Zelda fans are the worst