By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Will Switch Sell 2 Million This December? (NPD)

Will Switch Sell 2 Million This December in the US?

Yes 92 74.19%

No 32 25.81%

Total:124

Maybe if you include worldwide Switch could sell extraordinarily well, I’d estimate as high as 1 MILLION units.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
Pagan said:

I think Most of the Smash Fans bought already a Switch During the First year. I mean we had zelda, Mario, xeno and splatoon. Which Fan wouldnt be in already? Maybe i am wrong and There are People disliking all those Games and only Plays Smash Like i dislike Smash but lets assume that 1.3 Million (non smash Fans) will buy a Switch. I dont think that 700k People will buy a Switch only for Smash. They did already.

Good lord, people are still saying this?

Maybe he is a bit out of date... that's the only thing that can explain this logic.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

CaptainExplosion said:
Clank said:
So it did 1.4 M last year, I would expect something like 25% of natural increase so around 1.8M, but since there was not big launch last year during december it could easily top 2M thanks to smash

I think it'd gonna be a bigger increase than that.

Yea november was double from last year so I guess it will be more

December is usually Nintendo's best month, add in Smash and all other subtle industry factors and yes, it should land somewhere from 2-3 million.

Pagan said:

I think Most of the Smash Fans bought already a Switch During the First year. I mean we had zelda, Mario, xeno and splatoon. Which Fan wouldnt be in already? Maybe i am wrong and There are People disliking all those Games and only Plays Smash Like i dislike Smash but lets assume that 1.3 Million (non smash Fans) will buy a Switch. I dont think that 700k People will buy a Switch only for Smash. They did already.

Lol, why do people make things up? 

Around the Network

I'm going to predict that it will fall short of hitting 2 million. It will be just under it. Just close enough that when people here talk numbers, they will reference it as a being 2 million or more anyways.

All point that Switch will have huge month, imagine only how much it would sell if most Smash fans dont already have Smash Bros. :D

Shadow1980 said:
JSG87 said:
What are the top 10 biggest December Console sales ever?

I'll do you one better. Here's the Top 25 (home consoles only):

The Top 10 is dominated by the Wii, PS2, and PS1. I expanded the list to 25 to get some current-gen years in there. Between November siphoning off some holiday sales from December and the PS4 & XBO being relatively close competition (the closest we've seen since the 16-bit era) there haven't been any historically huge Decembers yet this generation. The Switch could change that, though. It ought to bust into the Top 10.

And for the hell of it, here's the Top 25 Novembers just to show how big that month has gotten in the past decade:

The Top 10 Novembers list is completely dominated by sales months from this decade, with only the Wii's extraordinarily huge performance in Nov. 2008 standing above them. The only other sales month in the Top 10 that was from 2010 was the PS2's Dec. 2002 performance. And the biggest November performance from before 2000 was the PS1's showing in Dec. 1998 way down in 19th place.

Just goes to show you how all the massive Black Friday deals that emerged early this decade have impacted the balance of holiday sales in the U.S.

Yeah, PlayStation and Xbox tend more and more to shift to sell more during November than December due to the Black Friday deals.

While Nintendo also has a trend towards bigger BF sales, December is still their core month since they have a much higher chance to land under the Christmas tree for the children of any age than it's competitors. This results in comparatively weak Novembers, but for these modern days they have huge Decembers.

My prediction for the Switch this December is somewhere around Wii 2010 btw

Last edited by Bofferbrauer2 - on 23 December 2018

nov 2017: 750k

nov 2018: 1.4k (90% growth)

dec 2017: 1.6k

dec 2018: 3m-3.1m (90% growth)

"Every day I look in the mirror and ask myself: "If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?". If the answer is no for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something"

Steve Jobs

Shadow1980 said:
JSG87 said:
What are the top 10 biggest December Console sales ever?

I'll do you one better. Here's the Top 25 (home consoles only):

The Top 10 is dominated by the Wii, PS2, and PS1. I expanded the list to 25 to get some current-gen years in there. Between November siphoning off some holiday sales from December and the PS4 & XBO being relatively close competition (the closest we've seen since the 16-bit era) there haven't been any historically huge Decembers yet this generation. The Switch could change that, though. It ought to bust into the Top 10.

And for the hell of it, here's the Top 25 Novembers just to show how big that month has gotten in the past decade:

The Top 10 Novembers list is completely dominated by sales months from this decade, with only the Wii's extraordinarily huge performance in Nov. 2008 standing above them. The only other sales month in the Top 10 that was from 2010 was the PS2's Dec. 2002 performance. And the biggest November performance from before 2000 was the PS1's showing in Dec. 1998 way down in 19th place.

Just goes to show you how all the massive Black Friday deals that emerged early this decade have impacted the balance of holiday sales in the U.S.

Could you do one for best Nov+Dec combined?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.