By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Spider-Man Is The Fastest Selling Superhero Game In The US

CGI-Quality said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

One might even say that when it becomes the best selling Superhero game overall it will be a real accomplishment. 

Well, I can take your word for it or the guys who work in the industry. Unfortunately, you don't have the credentials. ;)

If you are talking about NPD, their opinions are best taken with a grain of salt.  They are a business and always have to present things to make their customers happy.

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

If you are talking about NPD, their opinions are best taken with a grain of salt.  They are a business and always have to present things to make their customers happy.

As I do each month, I'll take them at their word. Yes, they are a business ~ in the business to present data as accurately as possible. No reason for me to not take Matt at his word (otherwise, for consistency, you will have to visit every NPD thread from here on out and question the results). 

If they've ever been wrong, I'd be happy to see how/when and will adjust my view accordingly. 

I'm not questioning their numbers or their facts.  I am questioning their opinions.  In this guy's opinion he stated something relevant.  In my opinion it is not relevant.  Spider-Man released about 3 months ago, and it just so happens to be the fastest selling game in a niche genre just because we are in the middle of the holiday season.

In fact, this is more the type of statement you'd expect from a company representative or marketer.  Reggie Fils-Aime makes statements like this all the time.  Like I wouldn't be surprised if he said something like "Super Mario Party is the fastest selling Mario Party ever."  It's a BS statement that sounds nice and that is what you'd expect from Reggie.  But this "analyst" from NPD is making the same kind of statement.  He doesn't sound like an analyst.  He sounds like he's marketing for Sony.

I mean, marketers use facts too.  But the marketer is going to present the facts in a way that makes their company look the best, so they make statements like this one.  The real question is, "Why does this 'analyst' talk like a marketer?"

colafitte said:
LGBTDBZBBQ said:

My estimation wasn't taking SMP first month into the consideration so 2nd and 3rd month are probably lower than 800k ranged for SMP and much lower for Spiderman. 

Yes, Spiderman did not sold that great during October and November in USA (without BF bundles i mean). But still, without bundles..., I guess Spiderman should be around....3'6-3'7M at the end of November. 

That's too much. 500-600K is the maximum for 2 months based on the October and November chart number. 3.3m-3.4m is likely than 3.6m-3.7m. 

The_Liquid_Laser said:

I'm not questioning their numbers or their facts.  I am questioning their opinions.  In this guy's opinion he stated something relevant.  In my opinion it is not relevant.  Spider-Man released about 3 months ago, and it just so happens to be the fastest selling game in a niche genre just because we are in the middle of the holiday season.

In fact, this is more the type of statement you'd expect from a company representative or marketer.  Reggie Fils-Aime makes statements like this all the time.  Like I wouldn't be surprised if he said something like "Super Mario Party is the fastest selling Mario Party ever."  It's a BS statement that sounds nice and that is what you'd expect from Reggie.  But this "analyst" from NPD is making the same kind of statement.  He doesn't sound like an analyst.  He sounds like he's marketing for Sony.

I mean, marketers use facts too.  But the marketer is going to present the facts in a way that makes their company look the best, so they make statements like this one.  The real question is, "Why does this 'analyst' talk like a marketer?"

There is something very wrong with your statement.

First off, lets et the facts out of the way. Is said game the fastest selling game in said genre? Yes. According to data. But your issue here isn't the data. Its that he shred it as if it were "relevant" information. Something you describe as "their opinions".

Thing about that though, is that its your "opinion" that its not relevant information. Now you want us to take your opinion seriously while its based on the dismissal of someone else's opinion (which in truth isn't even relevant because he wasn't giving an opinion to begin with, because what he said was factual...... no matter how relevant you think it is).

See how that is wrong?

Secondly..... to the 4M plus people that cared enough to buy that game.... and then to the God knows how many people that has ever bought a "niche super hero genre" game before; that information is/may be very relevant to them. 

Real questions here are....... why is this a problem for you? Why do you care that an analyst shared record breaking information to the public based on factual accurate data? 

"Fastest selling" is always the worst PR. But to compound the problem, this is also "Fastest selling (in $ revenue in the US)". $ revenue could have been vastly different than Arkham depending on holidays vs regular months or Sony first party vs WB or a multitude of different pricing strategies and etc. In the end a not very useful thing to say unless you are NPD and want to hide actual numbers behind something that companies and investors want to hear. But for number purists like us, it is pretty much worthless.

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:

Real questions here are....... why is this a problem for you? Why do you care that an analyst shared record breaking information to the public based on factual accurate data? 

Probably the same reason that some people are unhappy with PlayStation success. My advice for these people is stop hating and do something else. I don't like some brands but I don't go on a board to spit venom on them.

CGI-Quality said:
The_Liquid_Laser said:

As I do each month, I'll take them at their word. Yes, they are a business ~ in the business to present data as accurately as possible. No reason for me to not take Matt at his word (otherwise, for consistency, you will have to visit every NPD thread from here on out and question the results). 

If they've ever been wrong, I'd be happy to see how/when and will adjust my view accordingly. 

You can and must look out for any opinion or spin made even by NPD. But when they present data in clear way there is no room for questioning unless you want to question the whole validity of their methodology.

I haven't seem any caveat on Matt Twitt, at most it misses out the window of how many weeks or months he is considering.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Farsala said:
"Fastest selling" is always the worst PR. But to compound the problem, this is also "Fastest selling (in $ revenue in the US)". $ revenue could have been vastly different than Arkham depending on holidays vs regular months or Sony first party vs WB or a multitude of different pricing strategies and etc. In the end a not very useful thing to say unless you are NPD and want to hide actual numbers behind something that companies and investors want to hear. But for number purists like us, it is pretty much worthless.

Sure, anything on this type that doesn't say how many units it sold (solo and bundle) doesn't have much use. Still people can pull data from other top sellers and by comparison give intervals of confidence for how much it sold. And there are people doing it, so they can find value on it.

Plus, do anyone question that Spider-Man is selling fantastic?

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Farsala said:

Like saying NS won november in terms of revenue? Or like saying its the fastest selling console?

Intrinsic said:
Farsala said:

Like saying NS won november in terms of revenue? Or like saying its the fastest selling console?

Yes. Just like that.